Boomkin Question

So, I've got the jist of our rotation down, but one gap seems to show up a lot for me. What do you do when Starfire* is too long, but Wrath is too short? With Euphoria this seems to be at around ~70 to ~40 Lunar energy going to Solar. If you cast Starfire here, it'll go off in Solar, but if you cast Wrath, it'll go off in Lunar. If you have no instants that need casting, what do you do?

Also, When is the best time to use Sunfire/Moonfire and Starsurge? Should you aim to cast these at peak? Like Starfire & Starsurge both go off at peak then Moonfire(wrath/Sunfire in Solar)

Thanks!

*Edit: Starfall=Starfire
    Last edited by Yoshimiko; 2015-01-15 at 12:15 AM.

What I do to avoid that, is I refresh my dots at that period or cast starsurge if needed. however, you can get unlucky in lunar -> solar that you do not need any starsurge charges, or refreshing your moonfire. So this technique do not work 100% of the time to avoid that problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    So, I've got the jist of our rotation down, but one gap seems to show up a lot for me. What do you do when Starfall is too long, but Wrath is too short? With Euphoria this seems to be at around ~70 to ~40 Lunar energy going to Solar. If you cast Starfire here, it'll go off in Solar, but if you cast Wrath, it'll go off in Lunar. If you have no instants that need casting, what do you do?

Also, When is the best time to use Sunfire/Moonfire and Starsurge? Should you aim to cast these at peak? Like Starfire & Starsurge both go off at peak then Moonfire(wrath/Sunfire in Solar)

Thanks!
    Refresh your dots after the peak, so it's like SF,SF, peak ends, SF, Moonfire, Wrath (this one is a bit harder to hit)
    same with solar: wrath,wrath,wrath, peak ends, wrath, sunfire, Starfire

It also makes juggling the sf/wrath calls a lot easier, since when you have to re dot you clearly go over the line. To answer your original question, usually it's better to starfire, unless you would clearly go over to solar. So tldr: Less than 2 seconds to solar = Wrath, more than 2 seconds to solar = Starfire

Note that the extra starfire & wrath should be skipped if you mess up your peak rotation and go above and beyond the 100 energy before finishing your empowered casts
    Last edited by mmoca9d48ebf0f; 2015-01-15 at 12:10 AM.

It is not the end of the world for a starfire to land at the start of solar. You shouldn't cast an instant spell as filler just to avoid landing SF in solar. Only do so if it's actually a good decision to cast that spell in your current situation. It is wrong, for example, to refresh moonfire if you have more than (i think) 12 seconds, and sunfire with more than 7 seconds remaining. Doing so wastes a portion of the refreshable DoT duration. Similarly, SS loses value if you still have any stacks of the current phase empowerment left when you cast it.

Lappe has a spread sheet (You can find a link in the stickied WoD boomkin guide, post #20. Sorry I can't post links) that can be used to determine the points on the eclipse sine wave where priority shifts from Starfire to Wrath and vice versa. The place in lunar where this happens is past the point of 0-energy - SF cast time.