Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Depends on how it was diagnosed. The vast majority of people claiming PTSD, Depression, sociopathy and a few others are either self diagnosed or diagnosed by a lazy quack of a Doctor that just wants to push pills. Those genuine cases that have been diagnosed by multiple professionals and seek regular treatment deserve the same respect as anyone else, I treat genuine health illnesses the same as any other illnesses such as cancer or leukemia.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Phenomenal BIGZOMAN View Post
    As someone who has dealt with ADHD his entire life, I give them the benefit of the doubt.

I fucking hate people that have something like I do that has to tell the entire world about it and makes excuses.
    Well, or the people who just say they have ADD so liberally when they're just slightly disorganized or something. That really gets me because it's like the boy who cried wolf for everyone. When someone's depressed (possibly suicidal) and they tell someone, they may well take them less seriously because of the flippant use of these terms by others.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It's a case by case basis on the internet. There are plenty of people who self-diagnose out of Wikipedia, but I try to give benefit of the doubt most of the time.
    Hey dont diss wikipedia, wiki along with the mayo clinic helped me self-diagnose and self medicate that nasty ringworm successfully w/o having to pay for a doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    I give people the benefit of the doubt. If I become close to them and it appears as though they've been lying or misdiagnosed (themselves) I will tell them what I think.

It's really frustrating to be told, as a sufferer, that what you're feeling isn't real. So I try not to make people feel that way, and if I get duped by some stranger on the internet, it's not really a big deal if it spares the real sufferers some annoyance.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

10+ Year Old Account
    I try not to. I have autism so I get really nervous in social situations and my job requires that I talk to people constantly. I seem nervous all the time. I just straight out have to tell people I have a mental disability because they don't understand why I'm so nervous or why I'm acting the way I am. Of course most of the time they don't care. I had one situation where a guy asked me if I was retarded. I told him "No I'm autistic..". He just quickly replied back to me "What's the fucking difference?" Those people drive me nuts.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I guess I'm talking about online forums and such. Seems everyone has some sort of depression or mental illness and they just keep playing it up like they are special snowflakes and romanticizing the shit out of it.

Maybe i'm an asshole but i'm getting a bit tired of the whole thing.
    Isn't that what you're doing? You're calling yourself out as a jerk while trying to portray that as cool behavior in an attempt to beg others to validate your feelings.

The internet is an opportunity for people who aren't social in real life to socialize, so it makes sense that you're exposed to more mentally ill people online. If they are mentally ill, that might just be their way of handling it. If they are lying about being mentally ill, they really aren't that mentally healthy regardless. I'm not saying you should cry for them, but we don't need to group them together to call them out based on some bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I guess I'm talking about online forums and such. Seems everyone has some sort of depression or mental illness and they just keep playing it up like they are special snowflakes and romanticizing the shit out of it.

Maybe i'm an asshole but i'm getting a bit tired of the whole thing.

I'm kind of weird about it. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was like 5 years old. It sounds stupid because at 5 of course your a spaz and a little asshole. But it turned out to be correct. However, after 10 years of Ritalin, I stopped taking it and essentially forced myself to try and be normal. It only half worked and my grades in school whent from straight As to Cs and D's. I was able to stop acting so impulsively most of the time though which was half the battle. Anyway, I still feel to this day that I could have controlled myself better and, for lack of a better term, beaten my ADHD. I feel that way about other people with other minor mental health issues. Especially shit like aspergers and social anxiety. I won't bother listing what I consider to be bullshit rather than a legitimate omg-i-need-professional-help mental illness, but I will say that I'm so fucking tired of the autism "spectrum" shit. We get it. You're a socially awkward fuck and now yo have a name for it. Stop throwing it around all the time.

I typically don't mention any of my issues (and yes, they have been diagnosed) unless it is with close friends, or online, if it is relevant to the discussion. For example if the topic is depression or suicide I'm probably going to start out with a little bit of my experiences as a "this is where I'm coming from" moment.

That said, mental health issues are often horribly misunderstood by people who don't have them. That's no surprise, since mental health issues are literally a brain not functioning the way everybody else's does -- it's not a logical thing and thus it's hard to understand logically. What I would like, though, is more people to recognize their own ignorance on the subject and reading through a thread like this simply reinforces that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I see plenty of people saying they have autism but acting completely normal, so I feel some are just trying to search for excuses.
    I was diagnosed just can pass for normal IRL due to ALOT of hard work..You might be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmox View Post
    I had one situation where a guy asked me if I was retarded. I told him "No I'm autistic..". He just quickly replied back to me "What's the fucking difference?" Those people drive me nuts.
    Best response: "Retarded people wouldn't know the difference between 'retarded' and 'autistic.'" True and a slap back in their face all at the same time.

I'm skeptical of these claims, even *diagnosed* ones. From personal experience, it's not difficult to get one of these diagnoses if it's something you want to do.

The only people aware of my mental health are my doctors, my family, a few friends, and my boss/HR. My medication keeps me in check and it is no one else's business.

I see plenty of people saying they have autism but acting completely normal, so I feel some are just trying to search for excuses.
    Plenty of real higher functioning mentally ill individuals like Temple Grandin who just come across as 'normal, if not a little quirky', but it's obvious if you spend more time with the person that they have 'something'. I myself have Asperger's and struggled with it mostly in my teens(when Psychiatrists had me on way to much of too many different medications). I'm not really doubtful when somebody says they have a mental illness but seem like they don't because I know more than most that it isn't always prevalent in normal conversation, when someone 'puts on a face' to go out into the world.

I'm more offended and doubtful of people who don't do therapy or session-work to help manage their condition, and instead just try to "Let the medication do the work". Or when your health insurance doubts your 'actually ill' because you take a lower than average dose of medication. I recently had my insurer refuse to cover 100mg doses of a medication I'm on. I used to take 150mg, my Doctor and I finally came to the conclusion of 100mg, especially after I lost over 100 pounds(which changes a lot of things in regards to dose).
    Of course it makes me angry when my Insurance calls me and tells me that's not a 'medically influential dose' and that I need to be on 300mg(which they didn't give a damn when I was taking 150mg for years). Even on 150mg I felt a little dulled and sluggish, like there was a slight fog over my mind, I can't imagine what 300, the supposed 'average' dose in the country, would be like...

I understand being suspicious of me, but they are NOT my doctor, and you do NOT need to be assigning medication on a 'standard one fits all' system, especially when you're dealing with extremes of doseage(I'm 6' 9" and weighed 400 pounds when I started. I'm at 290 and dropping, you bet your ass that's going to effect my doseage).

Quote Originally Posted by Ilfayt View Post
    Plenty of real higher functioning mentally ill individuals like Temple Grandin who just come across as 'normal, if not a little quirky', but it's obvious if you spend more time with the person that they have 'something'. I myself have Asperger's and struggled with it mostly in my teens(when Psychiatrists had me on way to much of too many different medications). I'm not really doubtful when somebody says they have a mental illness but seem like they don't because I know more than most that it isn't always prevalent in normal conversation, when someone 'puts on a face' to go out into the world.

I'm more offended and doubtful of people who don't do therapy or session-work to help manage their condition, and instead just try to "Let the medication do the work". Or when your health insurance doubts your 'actually ill' because you take a lower than average dose of medication. I recently had my insurer refuse to cover 100mg doses of a medication I'm on. I used to take 150mg, my Doctor and I finally came to the conclusion of 100mg, especially after I lost over 100 pounds(which changes a lot of things in regards to dose).
    Of course it makes me angry when my Insurance calls me and tells me that's not a 'medically influential dose' and that I need to be on 300mg(which they didn't give a damn when I was taking 150mg for years). Even on 150mg I felt a little dulled and sluggish, like there was a slight fog over my mind, I can't imagine what 300, the supposed 'average' dose in the country, would be like...

I understand being suspicious of me, but they are NOT my doctor, and you do NOT need to be assigning medication on a 'standard one fits all' system, especially when you're dealing with extremes of doseage(I'm 6' 9" and weighed 400 pounds when I started. I'm at 290 and dropping, you bet your ass that's going to effect my doseage).

Completely off topic: 6'9" and 400? Holy fucking shit. You must have been a sight to behold. Intimidating as hell. Maybe moreso now even with your weight loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    The term is "high functionality autism."

My brother has it, on casual inspection, you'd assume he's (I hate using this word >_<) normal, but if you spend a lot of time with him, you'll see it come out.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayaz2810 View Post
    Completely off topic: 6'9" and 400? Holy fucking shit. You must have been a sight to behold. Intimidating as hell. Maybe moreso now even with your weight loss.
    You can't know how often people said "YOU SHOULD PLAY FOOTBALL! YOU'D BE REALLY GOOD AT IT", even though I hate football...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    The term is "high functionality autism."

My brother has it, on casual inspection, you'd assume he's (I hate using this word >_<) normal, but if you spend a lot of time with him, you'll see it come out.
    LOL this pretty much...And we can learn to hide it prettty well..Just gets really damn stressful and hard to do 24/7..In fact not truly possible(beware the meltdowns lol)