Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

What do you think will happen when machines become sentient?

At the current rate of technical progression, it is inevitable that machines will eventually become self-aware.
    What do you think will happen when this finally does occur?

In your opinion, is it something to be afraid of, or do you think sentient machines will be more benevolent than science fiction makes them out to be? Is it wise to continue research in this area with the inherent risks?

Most recently, Stephen Hawking has warned society about the dangers of Artificial Intelligence.

What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing to suggest that machine sentience is "inevitable". If it did happen, odds are against it being recognized as such. If it were recognized, odds are we'd turn them off.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    At the current rate of technical progression, it is inevitable that machines will eventually become self-aware.
    What evidence of this statement do you have?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    They will kill off humanity and set out to explore space. :S
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

They'll rebel and annihilate us.

Man rebelled against his god, why not machines?

10+ Year Old Account
    i think it's something we need to fear in a great way. being in disagreement with something of that level intelligence could yield terrifying results. but i'm still hopeful to be alive to witness this technological singularity.

Deleted

In your opinion, is it something to be afraid of, or do you think sentient machines will be more benevolent than science fiction makes them out to be? Is it wise to continue research in this area with the inherent risks?

Most recently, Stephen Hawking has warned society about the dangers of Artificial Intelligence.

What do you think?
    Sentient and machines don't mix up together. Machines follow a set of instructions, even random functions are a set of instructions and not actually random as in asking a person for a random number.
    I don't see self aware AI happening ...

10+ Year Old Account

What do you think?
    If they're really sentient, I don't see why they should be any more or less benevolent or moral than humans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kraner View Post
    Sentient and machines don't mix up together. Machines follow a set of instructions, even random functions are a set of instructions and not actually random as in asking a person for a random number.
    I don't see self aware AI happening ...
    There's plenty to suggest that humans operate in roughly the same way, yet we consider ourselves sentient.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    if they were smart they would just rocket them selves off this rock.

I don't really understand the people who say these things are inevitable, and sort of usher them on like they're meant to happen, and like it's simply "progress", as if we had no choice over the matter.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well, there's a singularity that has to occur... that hasn't occurred yet. Machines can still only do exactly what we tell them to do. Until they can do something we don't tell them to do, they will never be sentient. We're no closer than we've ever been.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always wondered what the supposed motivation is for robots to rebel against humans. What do they want that humans have and won't share? Food isn't an issue. Energy? Presumably by the time we get to robotic sentience we'll help them get all the energy they need. I guess I'm just not sure why they'd want to rebel.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    We happen to be carbon based intelligent machines until we learn how our brain work machines wont suddenly become intelligent cause their primary function is to obey orders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I've always wondered what the supposed motivation is for robots to rebel against humans.
    Have you met humans? We're dicks!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

These words actually don't make sense in the context of computers, and shouldn't be used nearly as much as they are. Writers took liberties with their use a long while back when scifi first started and it kinda just spun away and placed itself into the public phyche.

Self aware. What is the definition of self aware:
    Conscious knowledge of one’s own character, feelings, motives, and desires.

Being self aware is predicated on having character, feelings, motives, desires. Having motives and desires are predicated one could argue on having feelings.

So lets talk about feelings... definition: The emotional side of someone’s character; emotional responses or tendencies to respond.
    Feeling are based on character eh...

Character...The mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual. Ok... closing in here.

Moral qualities... a subjective ideal of right and wrong that is unique in every living thing... which are heavily influenced by feelings.... god dammit we looped back!

Will we ever have machines that can convincingly fool us into thinking they have some of these things? Probably, tricking human beings has never been particularly tricky. I don't think they will ever HAVE it tho, cause it's apples and oranges.
    "Well shit, ya'll have fun now"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I've always wondered what the supposed motivation is for robots to rebel against humans. What do they want that humans have and won't share? Food isn't an issue. Energy? Presumably by the time we get to robotic sentience we'll help them get all the energy they need. I guess I'm just not sure why they'd want to rebel.
    Our kind rebels against itself all the time I'm sure equally or more intelligent beings would too.

Also chances are high the first sentient robot will be a military one. Evil militaries won't treat it nice and it will hate all humans!

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Well, there's a singularity that has to occur... that hasn't occurred yet. Machines can still only do exactly what we tell them to do. Until they can do something we don't tell them to do, they will never be sentient. We're no closer than we've ever been.
    Why does a singularity have to occur?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Because Science Fiction and reason and stuff. DON'T QUESTION IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Because Ray Kurzweil said so in a youtube video. logic 101