Detailed study confirms high suicide rate among recent veterans

Recent veterans have committed suicide at a much higher rate than people who never served in the military, according to a new analysis that provides the most thorough accounting so far of the problem.

The rate was slightly higher among veterans who never deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq, suggesting that the causes extend beyond the trauma of war.

"People's natural instinct is to explain military suicide by the war-is-hell theory of the world," said Michael Schoenbaum, an epidemiologist and military suicide expert at the National Institute of Mental Health who was not involved in the study. "But it's more complicated."
    I wouldn't assume the military to be sunshine and rainbows...but this seems a bit extreme.

Thoughts?

Yeah, they post this to reddit every once in a while. Turns out that suicides in the military are almost exactly the same as suicides in civilian life.

One of the big factors is that men commit suicide at a much higher rate than females.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Yeah, they post this to reddit every once in a while. Turns out that suicides in the military are almost exactly the same as suicides in civilian life.
    This study hasn't been posted to reddit yet. This study won't be published until February. This study says the following.

The new analysis, which will be published in the February issue of the Annals of Epidemiology, included all 1,282,074 veterans who served in active-duty units between 2001 and 2007 and left the military during that period.

The analysis matched military records with the National Death Index, which collects data on every U.S. death. It tracked the veterans after service until the end of the 2009, finding a total of 1,868 suicides.

That equates to an annual suicide rate of 29.5 per 100,000 veterans, or roughly 50% higher than the rate among other civilians with similar demographic characteristics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    One of the big factors is that men commit suicide at a much higher rate than females.
    They take that into consideration.

Men accounted for 83% of the veterans in the study and all but 124 of the suicides. They were three times more likely than women to take their own lives.

Female veterans, however, killed themselves at more than twice the rate of other women — a difference much bigger than the gap between male veterans and non-veterans.

Deleted
    Morons, should have ended lives of idiots that sent them into that war zone in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don't think our service members are getting the help they need. Many won't seek help because they think and are told it's a sign of weakness. That, and the healthcare isn't the best. Doctors/Therapists take the cheapest way out and just like to give people pills and send them on their way.

It's sad.
    The VA has so much red tape for health care. For example I don't qualify for dental through the VA because I don't have a certain type of diabetes. I don't have any diabetes but apparently if I had one type I wouldn't qualify but if I had the other type I would qualify. Instead I have to pay for dental insurance through the VA. When I hit rock bottom and got suicidal 4 years ago the only way to get into the VA for my issues was to literally commit myself for a week. Even in the hospital care was terrible. The shrink had a napoleon complex and treated me like shit because I was a bit anemic from being up literally all night the night before having blood drawn like every 3 hours. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Luckily 2 years later I got into a civilian hospital to get myself on proper meds. I've been stable for like 3 years now.

That equates to an annual suicide rate of 29.5 per 100,000 veterans, or roughly 50% higher than the rate among other civilians with similar demographic characteristics.
    Mmm, I wonder how they define similar demographics.

The fact that the higher suicide rate is irrespective of actual deployment suggests that the kind of person who joins the military is, for whatever reason, more prone to suicide than their peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    See, this is just terrible to read. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad you're getting the help you need and deserve.
    It worked out though. The VA pays for my meds now and i get seen for free for it, and like general doctor visits. Just had to find someone else to do the diagnosing it seems. It just sucks that veterans have to go through so much crap just to get healthcare through the VA

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    It is a real problem, we deal with training all the time to figure out why it works that way. When you look in detail at the suicides themselves, the majority are from junior enlisted soldiers, often E-1 privates (The very lowest rank), who have gotten in trouble multiple times. A majority have not deployed anywhere. Almost all of them were deeply troubled before they came in the Army, and had a huge amount of personal issues, which was often compounded by difficulties at work stemming from poor performance (Which probably stemmed from the personal issues). There is a lot of effort put into trying to identify these people before the worst happens, but it is very hard, usually we don't know about the personal problems until after the suicide.

It seems that a lot of troubled young people look to join the military right out of High School, hoping that the military will somehow provide purpose and fix their lives. For some, it does, for some it makes it worse, leading to a deadly spiral.

Again, it is a very real problem, and the military is taking it very seriously, but it isn't usually related to PTSD the way the media often assumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The fact that the higher suicide rate is irrespective of actual deployment suggests that the kind of person who joins the military is, for whatever reason, more prone to suicide than their peers.
    They have several conflicting and concurrent ideas about what might be causing the suicide rate to be higher among veterans of the military. The article goes through a few, it's an interesting read.

I have to wonder though, if part of it isn't due to some inherent flaw in the military structure. It could be they attract people more likely to kill themselves. It could be that the military is just designed in such a way to encourage them to go through with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KievanAquinus View Post
    I wouldn't assume the military to be sunshine and rainbows...but this seems a bit extreme.

Thoughts?
    The difference is the macho culture, in the Military world saying you have PTSD is often a career killer and many often (mistakenly) think their peers will think they are weak for coming forward with mental issues. In the civvie world you can go to your Doctor and it probably will not get you fired.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    The difference is the macho culture, in the Military world saying you have PTSD is often a career killer and many often (mistakenly) think their peers will think they are weak for coming forward with mental issues. In the civvie world you can go to your Doctor and it probably will not get you fired.
    But you can't link this all the PTSD.

The rate was slightly higher among veterans who never deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq, suggesting that the causes extend beyond the trauma of war.

Deleted
    But you can't link this all the PTSD.
    Too many people join the Military thinking it will give them discipline and purpose in life, this is all bullshit. The Military takes your own qualities and pushes them to extremes, someone ambitious, intelligent and self disciplined can go very far, someone that needs others to give them direction and discipline will find their life a living hell, they will often have it easier in prison (prisons do not have cruel and unusual punishments).

Thoughts?
    How is that surprising in any way?
    Spend some times in military boards looking at photos and videos of people being shot and how some survive with half their face off, you might get a small grasp of how fucked up the entire thing is.

People commonly misunderstand that for someone to have PTSD they need to have gone through one particularly traumatic event such as battle. In reality, that's only one potential cause. A lot of small traumas over a period of time can also cause the same issue and can be harder to treat as well. In other words, it's entirely possible for ex-soldiers who weren't even deployed to suffer from PTSD.

Additionally, you have to wonder what being in such a profession does to your sense of purpose in the world. I imagine at first they're all starry eyed, saving their country etc. but after a few years I imagine you start to question the world itself and if there's any good in it. Then, add to that they may be somewhat institutionalized when they return to society, that'll make connecting with people very difficult - the very people who may make you able to see the good in life again.

So no, I can completely see this being true.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
    Additionally, you have to wonder what being in such a profession does to your sense of purpose in the world. I imagine at first they're all starry eyed, saving their country etc. but after a few years I imagine you start to question the world itself and if there's any good in it. .
    This is likely the biggest thing really.
    Propaganda makes military life look glorious and important, then after a while they become to realize a lot of what they do has nothing with protecting their country, but simply advancing various interests.
    I can also imagine that its fairly hard to return to civilian life after it, the sense of purpose, structure, discipline and experience is nothing alike civilian life, and you lose all of that afterwards.

Seems to be a consensus.

The Military structure can make you suicidal.