Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PhenomIIx4 955 upgrade option

Hi All,
    looking to purchase an upgrade to CPU if possible, raids are starting to get a little chuggish now and then.. My graphics are an R9 270X as well.

How much improvement am i likely to see from an FX6400/8320/8350? Does anyone have a similar rig?

Not really looking to go intel at this stage.

Cheers!

Yea i have seen those, thanks. the results dont seem huge for $200 fo was hoping for some more real world results with WoW

Quote Originally Posted by wing5wong View Post
    Yea i have seen those, thanks. the results dont seem huge for $200 fo was hoping for some more real world results with WoW
    You see real world tests benchmarks if you keep scrolling down (not for WoW though).
    WoW benefits greatly from CPU upgrades, but I don't think this upgrade will change much.
    FX Octa Cores will not benefit WoW as far as I know.

what mobo do you have? is really important because amd octacores need really good mobos with a decent vrm cooling or you will suffer from huge throttling or your mobo will not support them at all, in this case scenario you better go to a intel i5 if you play mainly wow because amd upgrade will cost you almost the same(new mobo and cpu in both) while offering a much worse gaming solution.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow really won't benefit much with another AMD chip. The performance just isn't there even on the higher end AMD chips, only way you will see a significant performance boost (In wow, anyway) would be to change over to Intel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    I hereby would like to nominate this person for the tool award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuravolpe View Post
    Only if we get a pet for the disaster that was your parents deciding to breed.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're wanting to see a large difference in WoW you're going to need an intel CPU. WoW relies on single thread performance and you're not going to get that with AMD.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Not really looking to go intel at this stage.
    You wont get notable boost in WoW with any AMD sidegrades currently available. Single core performance going up from your current X4 955 to even FX-8350 is something like 10% (higher base clock).

Hmm that sucks a bit then, with such limited improvement from the newer amd cpus
    i guess i have to look intel then which means a new (new) mobo. I've never looked into intel gear, what would be a decent option then?
    Not looking for top of the line neccessarily, just something that will run smooth

Hmm that sucks a bit then, with such limited improvement from the newer amd cpus
    i guess i have to look intel then which means a new (new) mobo. I've never looked into intel gear, what would be a decent option then?
    Not looking for top of the line neccessarily, just something that will run smooth
    First of all, I'll recommend a Z97 mobo.
    The CPU is harder though, your CPU already are decent, so if you want a noticable difference you kinda have to go high end.
    Intel Core i7-4790K is very strong quad core, 4Ghz cpu. Best one I can think of.

Intel Core i5-4690K would be a great cheaper alternative. It has better specs than your current one, and its Intel which is a benefit in itself for WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an 8350 playing WoW and have no performance issues, not even in raids. I used to have a Phenom X4 Black edition running at 2.5Ghz and when I upgraded to a FX-4100 it made a huge difference. The 8350 didn't from the 4100. Then again I did have the 4100 overclocked by 500Mhz. No overclock for the 8350 cause I don't need too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I have an 8350 playing WoW and have no performance issues, not even in raids. I used to have a Phenom X4 Black edition running at 2.5Ghz and when I upgraded to a FX-4100 it made a huge difference. The 8350 didn't from the 4100. Then again I did have the 4100 overclocked by 500Mhz. No overclock for the 8350 cause I don't need too.
    2.5Ghz phenom? or 3.5? isnt it 3.2 stock
    What sorta fps are you running with the 8350

10+ Year Old Account
    2.5Ghz phenom? or 3.5? isnt it 3.2 stock
    What sorta fps are you running with the 8350
    AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition is 2.5Ghz. That had performance issues with WoW, even with a generous 400 Mhz overclock. The 8350 is 60 fps in world but I'll have to check when I'm in the raid. Not something I pay attention to when raiding. Recount will kill my fps in raids though. Skada won't.

cool, id appreciate that.
    i assumed when you said phenom iix4 you meant a 955, my bad!

AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition is 2.5Ghz.
    The original Phenom line (four digits) is very well known to be worthless piece of shit for WoW and other single thread use, mostly because of very tiny L3 cache. So yes, you'd get pretty nice upgrade going to FX-4100 from it. But upgrade from Phenom II x4 (the three digit phenoms) OP has is around 10% and not worth it.

The 8350 is 60 fps in world but I'll have to check when I'm in the raid.
    Around 30fps, vs 50fps on i5-4690k
    Last edited by fixx; 2015-01-17 at 08:00 PM.

I would rather overclock it than buy a 8350.
    Sure, 8350 has some nice multithreading, but the single threading performance is actually worse, if you can imagine that.
    The only reason that these CPUs get higher single threading results than the Phenoms are because they overclock way higher so the stock frequency is very high.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2015-01-17 at 10:52 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The G-Man View Post
    First of all, I'll recommend a Z97 mobo.
    The CPU is harder though, your CPU already are decent, so if you want a noticable difference you kinda have to go high end.
    Intel Core i7-4790K is very strong quad core, 4Ghz cpu. Best one I can think of.

Intel Core i5-4690K would be a great cheaper alternative. It has better specs than your current one, and its Intel which is a benefit in itself for WoW.
    The 4690k will match the 4790k in WOW if you overclock it to the 4790k speed.

Look here:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

PhenomIIx4 955 Single Thread Perf: 1124
    FX6400 Single Thread Perf: 1413
    FX8320 Single Thread Perf: 1403
    FX8350 Single Thread Perf: 1508

Core i7-4770k: 2271

Don't go for an AMD CPU if you play WoW.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    I would rather overclock it than buy a 8350.
    Sure, 8350 has some nice multithreading, but the single threading performance is actually worse, if you can imagine that.
    The only reason that these CPUs get higher single threading results than the Phenoms are because they overclock way higher so the stock frequency is very high.
    So possibly just getting a good cooler and OCing will give some nice performance. I've not done it before though. would it get up to like... 3.5-3.8GHz? that should give a decent perf boost? A stable 30fps would be great

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Don't go for an AMD CPU if you play WoW.
    Well i already have the Board/Cpu so if a sim,ple cooler/OC would be a decent improvement, thats worth the first look
    Last edited by wing5wong; 2015-01-18 at 03:46 AM.

So possibly just getting a good cooler and OCing will give some nice performance. I've not done it before though. would it get up to like... 3.5-3.8GHz? that should give a decent perf boost? A stable 30fps would be great
    OC will help some, but wont do miracles. 10% overclock will be 10% more minimum FPS. You can on average hit the 955BE to 3.6 or 3.7 pretty easily but the reason why newer AMD chips appear to be better in charts is because those start at much higher clock speeds, FX-8350 for example starts at 4.0Ghz at base speed. Sad fact is if you have 955BE and FX8350 both running at 4GHz they're both doing same single thread performance.