Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    No, you shouldn't always respect other people's religion. That's a ridiculous statement. You should respect whatever the fuck you want to respect.

And your second paragraph merely restates my position; which was that the pope is not only proposing that criticizing religion is off limits, but he's saying expect retaliation when you do it. It's despicable and cowardly. Fuck him.
    Words have consequences. While violence isnt ok, there is no such thing as unrestricted, consequence free speech. If you insult me in my house, be prepared to have your ass kicked out of the house. If you insult my religion to my face, be prepared to be kicked out of my place,.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You should always respect everyone and everyone's religion unless you have actual reasons to not respect them. Does that sound better?

Just to make it clear, whatever happened with muslim radicals does not in any way constitute a reason to start disrespecting Islam as a religion. I quite like the Pope's stance on this. It's in line with the modern catholicism dogma to interact with other religions rather than confront them (violently) as they have done in the past.
    Respect is earned, not given.

There are limits to free speech, something many internet dwellers never seem to grasp. Some of them are ideological, ie. you can say whatever you like until you interfere with other civil rights, like insulting someone's mum. And some of them are, well, practical... like if you insulted my mum, you'd find a fist firmly planted into your face with astonishing force. You can complain that I'm restricting your free speech, that's fine. But that's not going to change the causal effect your free speech has on the redecoration of your nose.
    What the pope is proposing has absolutely nothing to do with your post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Words have consequences. While violence isnt ok, there is no such thing as unrestricted, consequence free speech. If you insult me in my house, be prepared to have your ass kicked out of the house. If you insult my religion to my face, be prepared to be kicked out of my place,.
    Again, that has nothing to do with what the pope is proposing.

Deleted
    If you actually punch someone, then that is still assault, and no, the fact that someone insulted you does not justify that.

Deleted
    You should always respect everyone and everyone's religion unless you have actual reasons to not respect them.
    Well, then the three big ones certainly don't qualify.

Whatever happened to turning the other cheek

You should always respect everyone and everyone's religion unless you have actual reasons to not respect them. Does that sound better?

Just to make it clear, whatever happened with muslim radicals does not in any way constitute a reason to start disrespecting Islam as a religion. I quite like the Pope's stance on this. It's in line with the modern catholicism dogma to interact with other religions rather than confront them (violently) as they have done in the past.
    No. No and no.

Again, the individual, can respect whatever he or she chooses, for whatever reason they like. And express that in whichever form they like.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the pope is proposing has absolutely nothing to do with your post.

- - - Updated - - -

What he says in one of his quotes is to expect some form of retaliation for insulting someone. That's reasonable, although using a violent reaction as an example is irresponsible of him. The other, I personally think, is just an effort to help bridge animosity between people of different religions (or lack of), where openly insulting just doesnt help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    If you actually punch someone, then that is still assault, and no, the fact that someone insulted you does not justify that.
    Its almost like he was making a joke, as the report obviously said. Oh no, someone made a joke and he happened to belong to a religion. Clearly, that religion is awful, right?
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingsomething View Post
    Respect is earned, not given.
    Meh, I always thought that was a bullshit phrase used by aggressive folks to justify disrespecting anyone they don't like (for arbitrary reasons). Personally, when I meet someone on the street, I treat him with respect. Your philosophy is rather antisocial one, since in its extreme form, nobody would respect anyone until they actually do something to earn respect... but since they don't respect you either, why should they earn your respect? It's a dead end.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Him using the punch example was irresponsible, but I understand and agree with the base premise of "dont insult without expecting some form of consequence".

That is exactly what the Pope was trying to explain.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sobedesce View Post
    Whatever happened to turning the other cheek
    Conservatives turned Jesus into John Wayne.

10+ Year Old Account
    Him using the punch example was irresponsible, but I understand and agree with the base premise of "dont insult without expecting some form of consequence".
    Lol its not like he was laughing and making funny punch gestures while he said it, right? No way THAT was a joke, right? Not like the article made it out to be a joke or anything, right? Nah, he is a christian, clearly this is a purely evil man out to punch people! Look out Floyd Mayweather, the pope is on the punchin' trail!
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Texaswarrior View Post
    Well, then the three big ones certainly don't qualify.
    Well, looking at their history, I can understand your viewpoint. And I would not even try to dispute that. But I will dispute anyone claiming recent radicalism in Islam should be a reason to disrespect the whole religion.

And given that, I'd even go as far as to reevaluate what people did in history in the name of "religion" while in fact only using it as an argumentation tool to impress the simple folks (crusades anyone?). Bit unfair to blame the religion for politically/militarily ambitious madmen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Lol its not like he was laughing and making funny punch gestures while he said it, right? No way THAT was a joke, right? Not like the article made it out to be a joke or anything, right? Nah, he is a christian, clearly this is a purely evil man out to punch people! Look out Floyd Mayweather, the pope is on the punchin' trail!
    Hey now, theres a lot more to a joke than just words so I think we're all missing what made it funny. I only say it because I know if you want to get an overall message accross, using a phrase that critics can use to stupidly ignore the rest of your argument will just hurt that effort.

Deleted
    Since this pope has gone on record to say homosexuals sin by virtue of their sexuality alone can I punch him?

...No?

Well fuck.

Deleted
    So he said ' “It’s normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others.”
    'he said there was a limit to free speech when it concerned offending someone’s religious beliefs.'

The pope can fuck off. Whats he going to do burn us at the stake.

In this day and age if you say 'I believe in x god' and your only reasoning is 'I have faith'. You are a dickhead who should be open to ridicule.

This is why the Dalai Lama is a boss. Atleast he preaches non violence.

There really isn't anything new. Catholicism always acknowledged that violence is a normal, natural, response. That's the meaning of Original Sin, after all.

I know this because I want to get married at a Catholic church and I'm boning up on the basics. Some of these thread responses are borderline irrational however. Some people here need to take a step back, think, and relax.
    Last edited by NewOrleansTrolley; 2015-01-16 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    So he said ' “It’s normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others.”
    'he said there was a limit to free speech when it concerned offending someone’s religious beliefs.'

The pope can fuck off. Whats he going to do burn us at the stake.

In this day and age if you say 'I believe in x god' and your only reasoning is 'I have faith'. You are a dickhead who should be open to ridicule.

This is why the Dalai Lama is a boss. Atleast he preaches non violence.
    The pope preaches non-violence. So do the vast majority of Imams in Islam. But hey, let's take wild hyperbolic nerdrage on the internet and make a bold post. I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't cry out for pitchforks and torches so we can start our internet crusade against... someone. :P