Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Starving/dehydrating that fast sounds a bit extreme. I'd hate having to eat/drink every 20 minutes in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Starving/dehydrating that fast sounds a bit extreme. I'd hate having to eat/drink every 20 minutes in real life.
    I agree with that. The problem is you usually die within a few hours due to random craziness. If you don't have to eat/drink within that time then food and water are almost useless. I think they are actually closer to the right tuning than I originally thought. I'm probably in the 45-50 minute area for where I would feel more comfortable. Not sure that I would want to feel comfortable though. I think I like the stress of feeling like my character is constantly dying.

Danger is what makes this game exciting and fun. I may be in a completely different realm of thought than other players on this. I tend to actually value my characters life unlike a lot of the folks I meet. Had people attempt to punch me while I'm pointing a gun at them. Obviously they don't care if they die. The players who actually listen when you have them outnumbered and outgunned are the best. Being on the brink of death constantly and trying to find anything that could possibly help but every house has been cleaned out already... and then you finally find a hatchet.

(Note: My opinions are based from PvP, First Person Only, Headshots Only, Recipe Wipe on Death servers.)

A few things I didn't put in my original post:

Buildings are pretty useless at the moment. It takes 2 minutes to break into someones base. Hopefully they can find a good balance here between too easy to break in and impossible to enter. Hidden Caches are pretty sweet though if you hide them well.

Airdrops. People are freaking out at these... for no reason. I've seen ONE in the 30+ hours of play. Everyone around headed to it, it was a bloodbath. It's pretty neat to be able to purchase these sort of server events. The stuff inside may need slightly adjusted from what I've seen via streams though. 30-45 shotgun shells is far too many. I would be totally fine with it having 0-2 guns in it and a very small amount of ammo. Ammo should be pretty limited as people need to value if the other person is worth a bullet. People should play CS:GO if they want to just DM shoot-out all day with lots of ammo. Additionally, zombies can randomly drop a Letter and Key that lead you to a hidden locked box that contains similar rewards. It is an easier to secure airdrop type reward without having to pay for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    When all these open world zombie survival crafting games get out of early access a new "thing" will have replaced it cause ppl are bored of it.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

I haven't had a chance to play on the new patch yet, but it looks like they fixed loot spawning.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugbot View Post
    I had high hopes for the game H1Z1 but after playing it a couple of days it only motivated me to buy DayZ standalone.

H1Z1 will ruin itself for being pay to win. It will be fun for a bit but will quickly get boring. It is more or less what ruined DayZ mod is the proliferation of firearms but in DayZ mod it was hackers and in H1Z1 it is wallet warriors. And no offense to anyone I myself am quite the decorated veteran wallet warrior but in this case it ruins the game. Also its already been hacked which I suppose was obvious but I was still surprised when I watched someone teleport/speedhack around right behind people and shoot them in their heads. And I can't imagine people who would pay for an airdrop would pay for one again knowing a hacker can take it all.
    I've not played it yet as I'm put off Early access since The Stomping Land! but, I was under the impression the cash shop offered no actual ingame benefits? any examples of how it is p2w? (Also, there is many definitions of p2w, 1, any kind of advantage ingame over free users. for eg, paying for a gun to get it NOW, where it takes free users 2 weeks to get. or 2, any advantage that is unobtainable. for eg, a weapon that is only buyable from the shop.)

Personally I do not consider #1 to be p2w. it's pay for convinience, I can grind it out the hard way, or drop some cash on it. so long as the content is ALL available for free users (whether it;s behind a grind wall, or pay wall) then I do not regard it as p2w.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is not pay to win anymore, ppl are just butthurt. I am personally loving the game, I've put over 20+ hours and although I complained earlier about needing more EU servers because high MS sucks ass, playing on NA servers still feels smooth and I've barely noticed any delay, apart from running through a door passed a bandit who was aiming a bow and even though on my screen I was behind him, I still died to a headshot.

Imho one of the best Early Access games to be released.

I have noticed though there seems to be more groups in this game than DayZ SA, which makes solo play harder. And since they buffed melee headshot damage, you get ganked by 2+ ppl your pretty much dead.

Tip for new starters, as soon as you spawn, shred shirt + trousers, discover the cloth and make a satchel (300 slots) get some sticks from hitting E on the really thin trees and green bush things, then make a bow by discovering sticks (single stick first for arrows) + cloth.

Discover berries + purified/stagnant water for blackberry juice, and even though you are supposed to have purified water to make the juice, you can still use stagnant water, the game will make the water into purified then into juice.

I would also farm zombies, they drop loot, sometimes crazy ass loot, backpack for example, rarely they drop hidden notes, which when placed in a specific chest, gives you loot aswell.
    Last edited by JP1o; 2015-01-21 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    I've not played it yet as I'm put off Early access since The Stomping Land! but, I was under the impression the cash shop offered no actual ingame benefits? any examples of how it is p2w? (Also, there is many definitions of p2w, 1, any kind of advantage ingame over free users. for eg, paying for a gun to get it NOW, where it takes free users 2 weeks to get. or 2, any advantage that is unobtainable. for eg, a weapon that is only buyable from the shop.)

Personally I do not consider #1 to be p2w. it's pay for convinience, I can grind it out the hard way, or drop some cash on it. so long as the content is ALL available for free users (whether it;s behind a grind wall, or pay wall) then I do not regard it as p2w.
    You pay like $5 for an airdrop ticket, after you use it a really slow plane comes in and drops a package in a random location on the map (basically Rust airdrops), the package drops zombies, basic supplies and has a small chance to drop a gun/ammo.
    It's basically paying for a server event, and it's not pay to win at all.

I wouldn't say it's P2W either. Only seen one airdrop, and I went and stole it whilst a grown man cried at me to stop. Was quite moving... didn't stop me from beating his face in with a crowbar, but I felt sad about it.

It's alright, even at this stage. I reckon it will be quite the game once it's released.

If it f ails it'll be purely for entering a saturated market and offering nothing new or innovative.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    If it f ails it'll be purely for entering a saturated market and offering nothing new or innovative.
    A zombie survival game that actually works would be pretty innovative. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    A zombie survival game that actually works would be pretty innovative. :P
    Play Arma 2 Overpoch
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Deleted
    It's 100% Day Z, even the UI is almost identical, except even more money grabbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    Play Arma 2 Overpoch
    Does it suffer from the usual Arma 2 shit though? Like, getting stuck on door frames, shit running through walls.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Is it just me or does the name H1Z1 make a better pun if you pronounce it "zed" rather than "zee"? But it's published by Sony so I assume the team making it is American?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    One of the most obvious cash grabs I've ever seen. The most hilarious thing about this is that it's working time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stalin View Post
    One of the most obvious cash grabs I've ever seen. The most hilarious thing about this is that it's working time and time again.
    If by that you mean selling people what they clearly want .... you might be right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugbot View Post
    I had high hopes for the game H1Z1 but after playing it a couple of days it only motivated me to buy DayZ standalone.

H1Z1 will ruin itself for being pay to win. It will be fun for a bit but will quickly get boring. It is more or less what ruined DayZ mod is the proliferation of firearms but in DayZ mod it was hackers and in H1Z1 it is wallet warriors. And no offense to anyone I myself am quite the decorated veteran wallet warrior but in this case it ruins the game. Also its already been hacked which I suppose was obvious but I was still surprised when I watched someone teleport/speedhack around right behind people and shoot them in their heads. And I can't imagine people who would pay for an airdrop would pay for one again knowing a hacker can take it all.
    People need to stop saying pay to win.. if you die.. you lose your stuff....

10+ Year Old Account
    My friend gifted this game to me because he wanted me to join and play with him and his brother. I've put down about 50 hours so far and I love it.
    We run around in a group of 4 looting robbing and killing other players, built a base. Got people to join our crew, got cars and a stash with loads of guns and ammo so dying isn't really a big deal. I've actually only seen ONE cheater and he didn't really do anything against us.

It's funny when people say it's pay to win, we've seen about 3 airdrops and everytime we have sniped the people going up to the airdrop. Also there's nothing in that airdrop that you can't find within 30 minutes of playing the game.

So far it's awesome, a lot of annoying bugs but I hope they sort them out soon.
    There's gonna be a character/world wipe this week aswell.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

As someone who played the DayZ mod and then a fair amount of the standalone, I was getting really frustrated by the devs lack of progress. The engine is just cumbersome, will never be well optimized, and just doesn't seem to lend itself to the game type (thinking their endgame base building/tunnel digging plans). So I was looking forward to H1Z1. Bigger dev team, not reliant on early access sales to cover costs.

Then I got in game. Air drops, ugh.

The graphics are hideous - and it doesn't even run any better than dayz atm! I peak out @ 80-90fps, same as I do in dayz. But that's not an issue really, the fps is fine, memory leak aside (after an hour or 2 the fps drops to the 30's and i need to restart the game).

Hydration/energy drain FAR too quickly, even standing still you need to drink every 30mins or so. Madness.

Gameplay/mechanics wise it is MUCH easier than dayz to pick up and play - though no custom keybinding yet aside from messing with the user.ini file is annoying.

Then the hacks started. After an hour running around a server, I saw a guy outrunning a car shooting a bow at it - wut? A group of 4 of us went to another more populated server, London. In the basement of the Pleasant Valley police station (where the weapon lockers are), 6 of us (2 english blokes we met there with the 4 of us), geared up and ready to take on anyone that comes in, randomly die 1 by 1 to some invisible prick. Wonderful. Respawn somewhere close to try grab some gear, insta killed by the same invisible idiot a good 2 minutes outside town.

Move to another server, same thing happens as soon as we enter Dartmouth Way, snarlpeak server. Called it quits there. Couldn't even get their names since we never got to see them and they never transmitted on ingame comms.

It's got potential, and it's much more newcomer friendly than dayz. Crafting is simple and easy to get to grips with. I just dislike the magnitude of hacking I've encountered (dayz mod all over again!), the air drops, and the fact that the map feels kind of... small.

Also has a much better inventory system than dayz.

TL;DR -

The good:
    Easier than other big survival games to pick up and play
    Crafting is functional and simple to understand
    Further along in development
    Bigger dev team
    Larger servers (player wise)
    Battle Royale
    Consistent updates

The bad:
    Them graphics be fugly
    Overuse of fog (see line above!)
    SOE's recent sale (unknown impact on game in the future?)
    Small map
    I've got a memory leak issue in the game (the guys I run with have the same problem)
    Lacks DayZ's "atmosphere/ambiance"
    Zombie/Wildlife issues similar to dayz's (had wolves, bears and zombies clip through walls or walk under floorboards to get to me to hit me! a zombie that's knocked down and not dead will slide around the ground biting your feet while on its back - really buggy animation work there, just like dayz!)

The ugly:
    Air drops (in game purchases)
    Pay to play alpha that's f2p at launch (wat?)
    Been the victim of hacking twice and spotted 3 or 4 speed hackers in the few hours I've played

That's my take on it so far.
    Last edited by stuntz; 2015-02-03 at 10:41 PM.