Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Nice updates.
    I'm curious what kind of PVE aspect will it have
    Just to reiterate: this is not a replacement for WoW/FFXIV type games, it's mostly a niche pvp game and is being designed that way. I'm really afraid a lot of people will try to latch onto this as their next MMO and be incredibly disappointed at the lack of pve features.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Nice updates.
    I'm curious what kind of PVE aspect will it have
    The kind that destroys your castle if you make them angry!

Quote Originally Posted by francisbaud View Post
    What's with the shitty cell shading and terrible animations? It's been almost a year, where's the progress?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    What's with the shitty cell shading and terrible animations? It's been almost a year, where's the progress?
    Looks good to me.

Realism in games blows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cartoony graphics have more lasting power than realistic themes. From a more cynical perspective, they are also far easier to produce, which leads to reduced costs and marginally increased throughput in the dev cycle.

On December 31st, we will retire all 2017 pledge packages and the majority of our parcels and strongholds bundles. Essentially, everything that was priced over $200 USD is being removed from our virtual item catalogue. (See the FAQ below for more details.)

https://crowfall.com/en/news/article...-to-preorders/

Gief beta invites!

They just got $6 million extra funding, making it $20M total...and counting! Maybe we're witnessing the birth of a baby Star Citizen?
    CU... ...or CF ?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesGoblin View Post
    They just got $6 million extra funding, making it $20M total...and counting! Maybe we're witnessing the birth of a baby Star Citizen?
    Not at all. This is pretty normal funding, even for a crowdfunded game. Crowdfunded MMO's usually need to end up getting additional funding, either crowdfunded or from investors, to get to launch, as there's little chance for most of them to crowdfund the actual amount they need even for a mid-range MMO. MMO's are expensive as hell to make.

https://crowfall.com/en/store/

jesus christ... how long has this game been in 'early testing'?

also... 629 is my birthday. I AM CANCER. Here me... oh, im dead. scheet.
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like HD WoW, but i want an mmo to have a decent amount of pve. Doesnt have to be as much as wow, but just pvping isnt enough for me.

WoW wouldn't have been one bit as popular as it was if it wasn't for Warcraft 3. There's never going to be a successful mmo if it doesn't 1st build a fanbase for the world they're creating. All these mmos that pop out of nowhere, die within a year.

SWTOR was doomed to fail the moment they picked that atrocious engine.

ESO failed because bethesda didn't commit, otherwise the game would have been a continuation of Skyrim instead of taking place 1000 years in the past. Also they started fixing it by the time they had already lost 2 thirds of their playerbase. Currently i do believe it's a better game than WoW.

LOTRO was competing with WoW in its prime, and it never stood chance.

crowfall is not going to deliver tbh. like albion, there is no world to it. and you dont have big enough sandbox to play with like BDO, who is barely getting by as is. Yes. I said it! BDO is barely getting by because it is... seriously.
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Deleted
    It looks awful

i still say if Warhammer Online and Wildstar had actual support from people who say they love MMORPGs. WoW wouldnt be around. And I say that pondering where to level this last class to 110, just to say I have ever class and 3 warlocks at 110...

- - - Updated - - -

OMG... I was just looking at the Crowfall Pledge packages again. They have 'layaway' options LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Imperial Palace. $7000USD. What!??!?

$5400 for a plot of land grid.

$80 Golden Dragon statue... that like, revives and buffs people. /smh I think out of the items on that store. The price on this statue is waaaay overpriced. Seeing as in the description it says you can literally find these as drops while playing the game.
    Last edited by Wallmaker Yahzarah; 2017-12-08 at 07:06 AM.

Wildstar stumbled because there was no casual content at max level and the raid content was bugged and punishingly overtuned. To the point that even Top100 hardcore guilds like Method said fuck it and left. There is never going to be mass market appeal for MMOs that put people into any sort of adversity they don't volunteer for. The early MMOs got away with it because the market was small and there were no other games in town. The vast majority of people are looking for a simple easy-mode walkthrough that offers little resistance.

At the same time, MMOs that try to standout by promoting sandbox features find it hard to distinguish themselves as well. You really need both some theme park and sandbox features to hold on. This is why MMOs like Ultima Online are still around after 20 years, Mabinogi still has a following, etc. They offer both dungeons and a wealth of meta content. And IMHO you really need to eliminate the auction house (as convenient as it is) if you want to have a sense of world-building. This allows people to have localized markets and prices. IE: entrepreneurs in Mabinogi would set up trade rugs or w/e near dungeon portals with consumables etc. good for dungeons. Rather than just going to one of a dozen AH portals that drive prices to cost or below and cut off from the world.

Assuming it actually makes a proper release, I think Star Citizen will be the first real test in a long time for a proper sandbox game that will offer the "whole package". Balancing pure PvE play with certain areas being a wildcard on what you'll encounter, along with facilitating people that merely want to stay planetside and work the markets or crafting, probably even see people selling intel on various corp locations and activities, etc.
    Last edited by stellvia; 2017-12-08 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    It looks awful
    secondeded

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Wildstar stumbled because there was no casual content at max level and the raid content was bugged and punishingly overtuned. To the point that even Top100 hardcore guilds like Method said fuck it and left. There is never going to be mass market appeal for MMOs that put people into any sort of adversity they don't volunteer for. The early MMOs got away with it because the market was small and there were no other games in town. The vast majority of people are looking for a simple easy-mode walkthrough that offers little resistance.

At the same time, MMOs that try to standout by promoting sandbox features find it hard to distinguish themselves as well. You really need both some theme park and sandbox features to hold on. This is why MMOs like Ultima Online are still around after 20 years, Mabinogi still has a following, etc. They offer both dungeons and a wealth of meta content. And IMHO you really need to eliminate the auction house (as convenient as it is) if you want to have a sense of world-building. This allows people to have localized markets and prices. IE: entrepreneurs in Mabinogi would set up trade rugs or w/e near dungeon portals with consumables etc. good for dungeons. Rather than just going to one of a dozen AH portals that drive prices to cost or below and cut off from the world.

Assuming it actually makes a proper release, I think Star Citizen will be the first real test in a long time for a proper sandbox game that will offer the "whole package". Balancing pure PvE play with certain areas being a wildcard on what you'll encounter, along with facilitating people that merely want to stay planetside and work the markets or crafting, probably even see people selling intel on various corp locations and activities, etc.
    If people stayed with it after that release, they would have had reason enough to keep that development going. All the people that jump shipped at a bad launch. I admit, it was terrible... but i still gave it try played it some months. Then the loneliness kicked it. Then the dark thoughts started sounding convincing... really convincing. Tried God. Wouldnt answer. The devil... he wanted too much. Scientology, they wouldnt change their name... now Im back to wow, part-time BDO. only because wizard is cool as hell. and the mystic is new bae.

That is the rub though: The first month or two is so crucial to the long-term health of an MMO. It's so important I've never understood why time after time after time these companies rush their MMO out the door unfinished and it immediately tanks.

Games like Everquest had a shaky launch, but that was directly related to overwhelming demand. WoW as well had some rough server performance the first few months. Yet they were underpinned by being good games and the issues weren't a statement on the quality of the actual game. Whereas MMOs like Anarchy Online came out in the same timeframe with a buggy, unstable, half-finished mess and immediately bombed for it. DAOC launched with only the initial teens dungeon being itemized, but the game ran smoothly and had the Realm warfare pvp finished at least to keep people busy while they rolled out the itemization in the rest of the dungeons over the next several months after release.

SWTOR is the most recent poster child, even moreso than Wildstar, for why you need to release with proper player retention in mind and not push out with a half-assed product. They spent insane amounts of money on that game: The class stories could be hit or miss, but by and large it was a good leveling experience and had great immersion. Yet they didn't bother to round out the end-game or include industry staple features for release. Breadcrumbing for daily quests was non-existent and it was a chore and long slog to go between the two planets that had dailies and took something like 2+ hours for all the dailies. PvP had no explanations whatsoever and the currency system for it was moronically designed: You had to earn a first set of points to trade for a 2nd currency that converted to a 3rd currency that would buy a bag that had a CHANCE at a piece of pvp gear.

Their biggest issue that killed the game however, was lack of a dungeon finder system, and in a related way that dungeons often took 90mins so if someone left early you stood little chance finding a replacement. You had to sit on your ass in fleet LFG trying to piece together people for it without being able to go do dailies or pvp, because the LFG system only worked if you were in the fleet, not off anywhere else like doing dailies. All dungeons were also entered from the fleet, so if you were leveling on some planet and unlocked a new dungeon, you had to travel to the fleet to go do it. Even if the dungeon was ostensibly located on the planet you just came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This is pretty normal funding, even for a crowdfunded game.
    This is doubly wrong (!, but you managed somehow ) CF funding is both extremely low compared to AAA MMOs, and extremely high compared to average, or practically any other indie ones. Word "normal" in that sentence is more alone than a piglet in Tehran!

Speaking of that $7000 castle from the shop, if I'm not wrong they sold only one or maybe two since Kickstarter; The team is simply not "developing" cash shop (as SC and R.I.P. SotA do) but rather the game. Anyway these Kickstarter leftovers will be removed from the shop till the end of this month, same as anything over $200; the fact that they have zero impact on Campaigns aside.
    CU... ...or CF ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallmaker Yahzarah View Post
    i still say if Warhammer Online -snip-
    God I loved the Warhammer MMO. My roomie and I played a pair of dwarves and I never had more fun pvping. The idea of a tank being able to taunt players and directionally protect allies was godly for defending points. Plus the Chaos Tank (don't remember the name) was as close to EQ's bard song-weaving (The bard being the first character I ever played on EQ).

I was so sad when it got shut down, not that my computer at the time could handle it. But still!
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic