Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Can you show me then?
    Neither created banners. They both just decided to line them up side by side.

The game hasn't even been announced yet. No gameplay or anything.

And the few "features" they revealed aren't even anything special. Character custiomization? Woop-de-doo.

Can you show me then?
    I did, it was all in the wiki link.

But here's one good example I found, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aveyron this heraldry is almost identical to the House of Lannister. Not to mention that heraldry with lions depicted were extremely common in that era.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I did, it was all in the wiki link.

But here's one good example I found, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aveyron this heraldry is almost identical to the House of Lannister. Not to mention that heraldry with lions depicted were extremely common in that era.
    That doesn't look like the pic I linked. Compare the one I linked with the ones at the bottom of the page on the site. I get the whole sigil thing, but those 2 are practically interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by torterra275 View Post
    The game hasn't even been announced yet. No gameplay or anything.

And the few "features" they revealed aren't even anything special. Character custiomization? Woop-de-doo.
    You obviously didn't read the faq.

That doesn't look like the pic I linked. Compare the one I linked with the ones at the bottom of the page on the site. I get the whole sigil thing, but those 2 are practically interchangeable.
    So let me get this straight, you think the format of lining up heraldry next to each other to be GoT-influenced? If so, that was in the wiki link as well. But honestly, that's a rather pedantic issue to take.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Bunch of new info up today, but one bit I thought people would be interested in without having to look for themselves:

But the game will still have instanced based PvE raids, right?

No, actually. Crowfall is a game is about territorial conquest and a player-driven economy – not PvE raids.
    The different servers with different rulesets that you can move between could be kind of interesting, but I'm betting someone figures out how to exploit that pretty badly.

Playable centaurs? Wut?
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    So let me get this straight, you think the format of lining up heraldry next to each other to be GoT-influenced? If so, that was in the wiki link as well. But honestly, that's a rather pedantic issue to take.
    It's not in that link, show me another pic that is that similar and I'll admit it was my mistake. It's not even an issue with the game obviously, the idea for that graphic was just pretty obvious (until like I said, you show me a pic that is that similar).

That being said if they made a game that recreated the feel of GoT I'd be all over that shit.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Bunch of new info up today, but one bit I thought people would be interested in without having to look for themselves:
    Oh ok....not PvE content and essentially DAoC with a new skin? No thanks, all interest gone.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Oh ok....not PvE content and essentially DAoC with a new skin? No thanks, all interest gone.
    It didn't say no PVE content. Just said no PVE raid instances. I like PVE, don't care about raids though personally.

Minimal healing, too, is very interesting.

Not too thrilled about the telegraph/Wildstar-style combat. But I guess since it's PvP, everyone is already going to be running around in circles.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    It didn't say no PVE content. Just said no PVE raid instances. I like PVE, don't care about raids though personally.
    Any game mostly focused on killing other players, looting their bodies, and that is the foundation of the economy means they aren't going to put a lot of effort into the actual game. I'm all for sandbox aspects, but that's going to be niche of niche if they go that way. To each their own, I'm very not interested reading the way they phrased it. I imagine the majority of people will be the same.

As long as we don't see Crowfall giving us a box fee + sub model in 4 years from now, then it may be ok. If that's what it does, it's going to be DOA.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Any game mostly focused on killing other players, looting their bodies, and that is the foundation of the economy means they aren't going to put a lot of effort into the actual game. I'm all for sandbox aspects, but that's going to be niche of niche if they go that way. To each their own, I'm very not interested reading the way they phrased it. I imagine the majority of people will be the same.

As long as we don't see Crowfall giving us a box fee + sub model in 4 years from now, then it may be ok. If that's what it does, it's going to be DOA.
    It looks like different worlds have different rules from 3 faction pvp, to guild v guild to complete free for all. They all have different loot rules and decay associated with them as well so looting others isn't going to be the only way to gear. Besides, the person you take loot from has to get their loot from somewhere which is where crafting and other game play comes in.

Sounds like the game will be a lot more like Eve than WoW from what we've heard so far. So yeah, likely pretty niche.

I'm liking more and more of what I'm hearing. Any game that moves away from pve raid concepts and loot progression and moves us into conquest and skill progression is a game I'm very keen to try out. I have no doubt that a lot of current mmo players will be turned off by this game. I honestly hope they don't play. I'd rather have a niche dedicated community like Eve than the whining, petulant child like community of a game like WoW. I will never try to talk someone into liking this game, if they don't get it from the beginning they're not someone we want around anyway.

The crafting sounds interesting and ironically I just thought about the materials used to craft an item influence their stats some time ago

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    I'm liking more and more of what I'm hearing. Any game that moves away from pve raid concepts and loot progression and moves us into conquest and skill progression is a game I'm very keen to try out. I have no doubt that a lot of current mmo players will be turned off by this game. I honestly hope they don't play. I'd rather have a niche dedicated community like Eve than the whining, petulant child like community of a game like WoW. I will never try to talk someone into liking this game, if they don't get it from the beginning they're not someone we want around anyway.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. WoW is still a great game, don't get me wrong. Instanced PvE raids and gear progression are fun, and WoW does have a lot of cool features that go along well with that type of game. But that does not mean that a different approach to designing an MMO can't be good aswell. In fact, if I want to play that quest-based, PvE focused type of game, I will play WoW. There's absolutely no need for every new MMO to copy that and try to do the same thing. WoW is there for that. One of the main reasons I didn't play Wildstar. It's essentially WoW in space. No thanks. If i want to play WoW, I'm going to play WoW.

It's about time that there's a more skill-based, more hardcore MMO coming out again. And it's perfectly fine that it's not intended for the casual masses, in fact it's a great thing that this will probably have a much smaller, tight-knit community. I really hope that there's not going to be any instancing (which it might look like there won't be) and the endgame goes more towards PvP with guilds vs. guilds and faction vs faction. The game world just is so much more interesting and immersive if there's no instances, if there's just one "world". Also it would be amazing if group play would be favored over solo play. It's an MMO afterall. Of course solo play should also be possible, but it should always be more effective to play with others.

It's just such a rich gaming experience if you meet people everywhere in the world, if you can socialize with them. If it's not as anonymous as WoW for example is (dungeonfinder, LFR, solo questing etc.). If you form groups together to grind mobs to level up, if you explore the whole world together. If there's no restrictions where you can go (ESO says hi: oh, sorry, you haven't done every single quest in this area, so you cannot go to the next - most fucking retarded thing I've ever seen), if it's just one coherent world.

I really like what I read so far about this game, and it's a good thing that it's not going to be mainstream and casual!

Quote Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
    I really like what I read so far about this game, and it's a good thing that it's not going to be mainstream and casual!
    That's good right up until the point where they have to shut down because of a lack of players. I want it to be mainstream and casual enough that it can maintain a healthy population.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    That's good right up until the point where they have to shut down because of a lack of players. I want it to be mainstream and casual enough that it can maintain a healthy population.
    Very few MMOs require shutdown due to lack of players. A successful and financially stable MMO can subsist with as little as 10,000 players. For years.

Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    That definitely used to be the case for the majority of MMOs a few decades ago (and there still are many MMOs today that have survived for many years with only a few thousand players), but I've a suspicion that modern investor habbits and expectations are what is causing the financial instability of most game studios nowadays.
    But not of MMOs. Compared to the number of of active MMOs on the current market like, 2% had to close down.

As I said before, MMOs are like jingles. They pay for themselves in time. It's really hard to be unprofitable as an MMO. I am speaking from experience working for two MMO publishers with both small niche and large commercial titles in the market.

The hurdle of MMO publishing is development. Not deployment.