Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What 3 games should I get for the Wii U?

So, I'm most likely going to buy a Wii U next week and I want to get about 3 games with it. Pick any games you think may be interesting and perhaps add why you think they would be a good choice. Also, don't include Super Mario 3D World because the Wii U I'm getting will be bundled with it.

Super Smash Bros. - Probably the best or 2nd best game on the system. Tons of replay value, will always be popular in multiplayer until the next Smash Bros. comes out in 4-6 years. Because of the popularity the community will always be super active. That means you can join discussions about pretty much anything, join teams/play tournaments/watch streams.

Bayonetta 2 - Highest rated Wii U game to date. Comes with original Bayonetta if you buy it disc-based. Fun action packed single player game.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - Insanely good game. Improved graphics, gameplay improvement such as Swift Sail which gets rid of the tedious act of sailing your boat by making you go faster. If you don't like HD remaster I suggest going with Mario Kart 8. If you want a single player game, go try out The Wonderful 101. Takes a bit getting used to but it's really fun and unique.

Bayonetta 2- Best game on the system and IMO GOTY 2014

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze- The best platformer on the system, and best side scrolling platformer since Yoshi Island on the SNES. Best music of 2014 to boot.

Then choose either Mario Kart 8 or Super Smash Bros for a multiplayer game. Both at the same time would be overkill, but they are both great games.

Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, and... Mario Kart.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    (Also if you get Super Smash Bros, get a Gamecube controller and the adaptor, but be careful because Nintendo dun goofed and the adaptors are sold out for the next few months, regardless though, if you've played SSB on Gamecube before, then the new controllers wont feel right at all, if not then enjoy)
    The Wii U pro controller is the best controller for smash. Once you get used to the controls(which can take a few if you played a hefty amount of melee and brawl on the gc controller) there is no going back. The only thing the GC adapter is good for is playing 8 player smash but very few people have enough friends who give a shit about Smash Bros to even play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The Wii U pro controller is the best controller for smash. Once you get used to the controls(which can take a few if you played a hefty amount of melee and brawl on the gc controller) there is no going back. The only thing the GC adapter is good for is playing 8 player smash but very few people have enough friends who give a shit about Smash Bros to even play it.
    What? Pro controller is trash, 1 it is wireless so not good for smash, and then 2 all the buttons are in the wrong spot.

I have been playing 8 player smash and had to have people sit out.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    What? Pro controller is trash, 1 it is wireless so not good for smash, and then 2 all the buttons are in the wrong spot.

I have been playing 8 player smash and had to have people sit out.
    This. The pro controller is inferior in every way. GC controller or nothing. I had to go buy two of those Classic controllers that are shaped like GC controllers to play. I could not stand the pro controller.

Mario kart, bayonetta 2, and smash bros.

/thread

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Obviously Super Smash Bros. You can't go wrong with that game.
    2. Legend of Zelda Windwaker HD. It's Zelda, can't go wrong with this either
    3. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

This also depends on what kind of games you like. I also recommend Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2 (comes with Bayonetta 1 also), Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and Super Mario 3D World. All great, quality games. And there's even more coming out like Yoshi's Woolly World.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2015-01-16 at 10:44 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

1) The Wii U Pro Controller has no input lag.

2) all the buttons are in the exact same spot, the A button just isn't massive and your c stick is in a far more convenient place and actually is a stick and not a terrible nub.

But let me guess you need that gigantic A button or you will press the wrong input? Like I said, it's wierd at first but the Pro Controller is by far and away better then the GC controller once you learn it.

Lastly you're playing 8 player smash so 4 people are playing with pro controllers, wii motes, 3DSs or the gamepad. So who gets stuck with the terrible controller that you say is trash for the game?

2) all the buttons are in the exact same spot, the A button just isn't massive and your c stick is in a far more convenient place and actually is a stick and not a terrible nub.

But let me guess you need that gigantic A button or you will press the wrong input? Like I said, it's wierd at first but the Pro Controller is by far and away better then the GC controller once you learn it.

Lastly you're playing 8 player smash so 4 people are playing with pro controllers, wii motes, 3DSs or the gamepad. So who gets stuck with the terrible controller that you say is trash for the game?
    it does, and all the buttons are placed perfectly different sizes and shapes.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Umm no?

This is the GC Controller buttons

Y
    B A X

This is the Wii U Pro controller layout

X
    Y A
    B

Completely different layout. The pro controller layout is more like the SNES controller.

Stupid text. Can't line it up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, and... Mario Kart.
    My suggestions as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since I'm already going to be dropping a decent amount of cash on the Wii U and 3 games, I'm not sure if I want to pay 50 bucks for the Pro Controller right now. Tech mentioned the 3DS you can play Smash with it? And if so does it function well?

it does, and all the buttons are placed perfectly different sizes and shapes.
    The Wii U pro controller connects using the newest version of bluetooth. That is 6-8 MS latency at couch distance. Max of 12 MS if you have a retarded amount of wireless interference in the area.

The gamecube adapater being cheap usb =125 hz polling rate or 8 MS of latency.

Keep trying hard to peddle this nonsense though. If you where worried about input lag that bad you would be busting out your old CRT which I doubt you are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Since I'm already going to be dropping a decent amount of cash on the Wii U and 3 games, I'm not sure if I want to pay 50 bucks for the Pro Controller right now. Tech mentioned the 3DS you can play Smash with it? And if so does it function well?
    Yes you can connect your 3DS to the Wii U if you own both Smash games and use it as a controller in Smash Wii U. Controls identical to the 3DS version when you do this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Umm no?

This is the GC Controller buttons

Y
    B A X

This is the Wii U Pro controller layout

X
    Y A
    B

Completely different layout. The pro controller layout is more like the SNES controller.

Stupid text. Can't line it up properly.
    Again, the slight difference is ONLY because the A button is shaped retardedly and the other buttons have to fit around it. In reality is is the exact same placement going off where your thumb naturally rests on the controller(which is the A button on BOTH).

I'd definitely recommend donkey kong country tropical freeze. I find it quite frustrating at times but it's fun :P. Super smash bros is one i really want to get (i want to finish donkey kong first!) and i've heard good things about but i haven't played it yet myself.

The Wii U pro controller connects using the newest version of bluetooth. That is 6-8 MS latency at couch distance. Max of 12 MS if you have a retarded amount of wireless interference in the area.

The gamecube adapater being cheap usb =125 hz polling rate or 8 MS of latency.

Keep trying hard to peddle this nonsense though. If you where worried about input lag that bad you would be busting out your old CRT which I doubt you are.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you can connect your 3DS to the Wii U if you own both Smash games and use it as a controller in Smash Wii U. Controls identical to the 3DS version when you do this.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, the slight difference is ONLY because the A button is shaped retardedly and the other buttons have to fit around it. In reality is is the exact same placement going off where your thumb naturally rests on the controller(which is the A button on BOTH).
    Circle is apparently a retarded shape.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Bayonetta 2 by miles, and if you end up liking it a lot, Wonderful 101 is another awesome Wii U exclusive from the same developer.

Circle is apparently a retarded shape.
    8 MS is apparently unplayable input lag, the same lag you get with the GC adapter because of it being usb and not natural ports. What is the magical input method you use?

Oh but you also have tons of people over your house playing 8 player Smash with all these shitty wireless control methods too. 4 people have to use wireless input methods! The horror!

It's okay I know you couldn't figure out where your main attack button was if it wasn't the size of Jupiter.

And lastly you care so much about input lag so why are you playing on your HDTV? Time to bust out the CRT my friend.

8 MS is apparently unplayable input lag, the same lag you get with the GC adapter because of it being usb and not natural ports. What is the magical input method you use?

Oh but you also have tons of people over your house playing 8 player Smash with all these shitty wireless control methods too. 4 people have to use wireless input methods! The horror!

It's okay I know you couldn't figure out where your main attack button was if it wasn't the size of Jupiter.

And lastly you care so much about input lag so why are you playing on your HDTV? Time to bust out the CRT my friend.
    You don't have to bust it out when it just is the living room TV.
    Gamdwelf the Mage