Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    My feeling is no, at least not for the "super powers".... but it wouldn't shock me is some small country or group used one. I think that only those countries or groups that are led by "mad men" would consider it. That is just my 2 cents.

BTW, I said "ever" but really I am thinking for the next 20 years. I can't even speculate about what the world will be like after 20 years from now.
    I seriously doubt it. Most nationstates have to much to lose from using it, as it would be a almost instant economic and military death sentence from the rest of the world.

The only way would be if the entire worlds economy collapsed and we were in major wars.

Yes. It is a eventuality.

Deleted
    http://www.carloslabs.com/node/16

Here is a fun little toy for you to mess around with.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    I think it's very unlikely that a first world state actor will ever launch a nuclear first strike. A state actor like Iran I'd say is pretty damn likely to do so once they can, although even at that point, it would probably be through a proxy and not a ballistic missile attack or bomber. An Islamist non-state actor is metaphysically certain to try to use them, there is only the hope of stopping them from ever getting them.
    Strongly disagree with Iran using it, Iran is a large, prosperous country that has no inherent nihilistic tendencies. Granted they aren't very friendly to either the US or Israel, but they like being alive, and shooting nukes does not further that goal.

Look at what happened between Pakistan and India, those two countries hate each other with a passion, and fought a lot of nasty wars right up until they got nukes, and were still aggressive toward each other after words. But neither of them wants to shoot nukes at each other, just way too much to lose.

A Islamist terrorist group... I think that is a justifiable reason for soiling your pants if they get nukes, they do have a proven track record of people suicidal and very callous toward their own populations.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to happen considering the incredible intelligence network going on in hte world now a days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post

That one is pretty cool, I got to admit that I laughed when I selected Asteroid Impact, lets not weaponize those.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    America has shown they will bomb someone into the stone age.

yes
    You cared enough to post.

Deleted
    Possible but unlikely, both Russia and the USA have said they would use them in a tactical capacity if they were losing in a conventional war but for this to happen would mean world war 3 would already be reaching its end. Terrorist groups could potentially get hold of or build a WMD (not necessarily nuclear) and deploy them to a large city, this is what you need to worry about. Think about a nuke in a shipping container smuggled into new york harbour, what could you do?
    Nothing because I live in a small town in the Mojave Desert

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    America has shown they will bomb someone into the stone age.

yes
    I'm sorry, we have bombed someone into the stoneage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    Nothing because I live in a small town in the Mojave Desert
    You mean one of the few places on earth that actually has been nuked a lot?

10+ Year Old Account

Was interesting seeing the actual scale of a tsar bomba in 1961 in a diameter, and that isn't even a modern day nuke. Scary shit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    You mean one of the few places on earth that actually has been nuked a lot?
    That's also more than big enough to be nuked a lot more times while having little effect on me

That's also more than big enough to be nuked a lot more times while having little effect on me
    Nothing like some background radiation to keep the tan going.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, yeah I have been there a few times, it is pretty huge, certainly not worth dropping enough nukes to kill the few hundred people that live in most of those towns.

Anyway, more to the topic, it is entirely possible that they might get employed by mistake, as a result of a cyberattack, terrorist false flag, or actual mechanical hijack. I don't see any current government using one on purpose, including Best Korea. MAD is one of the defense theories that was crazy enough to have actually worked, 2 cities got destroyed and every nation on the planet is still shaking in their boots about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Was interesting seeing the actual scale of a tsar bomba in 1961 in a diameter, and that isn't even a modern day nuke. Scary shit.
    Modern nukes are not as "powerful", something like a Submarine launched Trident 2 will launched into orbit of the earth then separate into multiple warheads each having its own target, while individually not having the yield of a Tsar bomb they will take out 12 cities rather than 1.

MMO's attract geeks, geeks find things like nukes interesting.
    Said the guy with 23k posts O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Tsar Bomba was much bigger than any modern nuke, it was never really a practical device to deliver. The largest the US currently uses is about 1.2 mT, with the submarine fleet mostly using 100 kT and 450 kT warheads. If you look on the radius for those, they are still big enough to take out the center of a major city instantly, and are much easier to deliver. In addition that tool only shows ground burst, Air burst is much more efficient on a soft target like a city, so a 400 kT warhead would probably have a destruction radius of about what the tsar bomba has on that tool.

I'd like to think that the answer is no.

But humans are stupid. The history of humanity is a history of stupidity.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Said the guy with 23k posts O_o
    Whats that got to do with it? I am a geek too.

Deleted
    "Ever"? 99.9% likely to be done. Within our lifespans? Probably not.