Page 1 of 3
LastLast

"Just Pirate" Hotline Miami 2 if It's Banned in Australia, Dev Says

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/jus.../1100-6424710/
    Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number developer Jonatan Söderström, also known as "Cactus," has told Australian players they can go ahead and pirate the game if it doesn't get an official release in their country.

On Wednesday, it emerged that the Australian censor refused to classify the top-down shooter, based on what it deemed as scenes of strong violence, as well as what it determined as a rape scene.

Söderström made the comment in an email to an Australian fan who asked what's the best way to purchase the game if it doesn't get an official release in the country. The exchange was posted to Reddit and later confirmed as authentic by publisher Devolver Digital.
    This is a good example on why some people pirate things like games/movies/tv shows/music. This also shows it isn't so Black and White like some people try to put it. Not all pirating is bad and is sometimes the only way to get something. Also to add pirating something is not a loss in sell since the person wasn't going to buy it anyway. But it can be a gain in sell since someone may like it so much they will buy it.

Game of Thrones is the most pirated show in the world and maybe the most pirated thing overall and even they have said pirating isn't bad because its free marketing/publicity.

So what is ur thoughs on this post and the overall topic.

Edit: On the other part of the topic "Australia's ban on games" they really do need to let up on it. They got a ESRB system like ours and don't even use it right. If the game has a M rating "adult" then stop censoring games or outright banning them.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-01-18 at 12:46 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Australia needs to pull that stick out of their ass about video games, and put it to good use culling the kangaroo population. Shit's getting out of control, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Australia needs to pull that stick out of their ass about video games, and put it to good use culling the kangaroo population. Shit's getting out of control, yo.
    I live in the US but I see the posts all the time about Australia and there stupid bans on video games. Hell parts of Saints Row IV had to be edited out so it could be released.

They got a M rated style system and don't even use it in its intented way.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's only a few old religious nutbags (as in the people on the Classification Board) who ruin it for the rest of us. It took them years to give us the R rating, and now they completely misuse it and just continue to bar everything. The sooner these nutbags retire and some fresh non-moronic blood takes over, the better this country is going to be.

OT: I will be, but if I can work out a way to pay for it and still get it, I would.
    Loved 1, paid for it, so I will try my best to pay for 2.

Pirating has its pros and cons.
    I can admit I torrented Game of Thrones, but as the seasons get officially released on DVD/Bluray, I have a Day 1 purchase of the Bluray version, I have every year, and I've already preordered S4.
    I own over $2000 worth of tv shows/movies, and usually only decide to get them after I've torrented them before.
    It has it's ups and downs. I know heaps of people who have thousands and thousands of dollars worth of pirated video games and tv shows/movies who never intend to pay for them. It's a very double-edged sword.
    Last edited by Kuthe; 2015-01-18 at 12:49 AM.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the dev could set up a "donation" type thing where people can just give him money when they pirate it. I know Jonathan Coulton does that with his music.

Maybe the dev could set up a "donation" type thing where people can just give him money when they pirate it. I know Jonathan Coulton does that with his music.
    Thats not a bad idea at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    OT: I will be, but if I can work out a way to pay for it and still get it, I would.
    Loved 1, paid for it, so I will try my best to pay for 2.
    Same hell I own number 1 on PC and Ps3/ps4/vita due to the PS+. I love the game and can't wait to play number 2.

My point being pirating isn't so black and white and EVIL as some try to put it. This is a good example of that.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-01-18 at 12:50 AM.

I'd be willing to bet that a large portion of piracy is simply because of availability issues.

Japanese games not being released in the US, despite large numbers of gamers asking for it.
    Australia.
    Out-of-Print Games that people want but can't buy.
    Excessive/Restrictive/Obstructive DRM.
    Region Locks.

The list goes on and on as to why people pirate games. Some people do it to avoid paying for it, others do it to avoid the issues I listed above. Maybe if publishers would remove the "$" glasses they're wearing, they'd see that there are people out there WANTING to buy the games but can't, because of stupid bullshit like this going on.

If someone can't buy it, they'll pirate it if they've half the chance. You could probably cut piracy in half if we'd get rid of the stupid bullshit that causes people to pirate in the first place. Nothing says this louder than a developer giving permission for people to pirate their own game to get around this kind of stuff. In the end, most developers simply want people to enjoy the thing they spent so much time creating, but can't because of stupid crap going on.

I'm generally against piracy, but can't find any fault in somebody pirating because A. it is impossible to obtain legitimately, and B. the developers themselves have given the go ahead.

So, uh, shine on you crazy diamonds, I guess.

As for Australia, I'm working under the assumption that the ratings board is run by some hundred year old biddies that outright refuse to die. Then again, I'm also under the impression that Australians rely on either round robin tournaments or the occasional bout of kangaroo boxing to settle all of their political affairs. I really should do some research on Australia.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Hatred isn't banned in Aussie land then I smell fish. But seriously while I am against Piracy 100% I can see why people would pirate this particular game in Australia.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    I'm generally against piracy, but can't find any fault in somebody pirating because A. it is impossible to obtain legitimately, and B. the developers themselves have given the go ahead.

So, uh, shine on you crazy diamonds, I guess.

As for Australia, I'm working under the assumption that the ratings board is run by some hundred year old biddies that outright refuse to die. Then again, I'm also under the impression that Australians rely on either round robin tournaments or the occasional bout of kangaroo boxing to settle all of their political affairs. I really should do some research on Australia.
    I know a friend or two who live in Australia... and from what they've told me, even when a game DOES get released over/down there, the prices are just so out of this world ridiculous.

That's why they have region locks, afterall... so they can tack on ridiculous fees on top of the game's price. Well, joke's on them, because PCs are very good at avoiding region locks, lol. A $20 optical drive will solve your region lock problems. Yeah, sure, you can only change it's region setting a total of 3 times per device, but nobody's saying you can't have multiple drives in your computer and/or laying around to hook them up. You'd only need what... 2-3 drives for all of the relevant regions?

If you're a console gamer, well... not sure what to tell you, lol. I guess wait until some hacker figures out how to hotwire the console and/or crack its BIOS/OS.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaelai View Post
    If you're a console gamer, well... not sure what to tell you, lol. I guess wait until some hacker figures out how to hotwire the console and/or crack its BIOS/OS.
    Most consoles nowadays aren't region locked, actually. PS3/PS4/Vita/XBox One are all region free, just Nintendo's stuck in the past with both the Wii U and 3DS being region locked. 360's kind of half-half, it has the option to region lock games but it's not forced, so half of its games are region free.

Anyway, on topic: That's actually a pretty nice thing for the devs to say about their game. 90% of the companies out there would condemn piracy even if it was the only way you'll ever even lay eyes on their product.

We already had a thread on this a couple days ago, did we not?

[QUOTE=Aeluron Lightsong;31771166]If Hatred isn't banned in Aussie land then I smell fish./QUOTE]

Will be interesting how that goes down.

Most consoles nowadays aren't region locked, actually. PS3/PS4/Vita/XBox One are all region free, just Nintendo's stuck in the past with both the Wii U and 3DS being region locked. 360's kind of half-half, it has the option to region lock games but it's not forced, so half of its games are region free.
    Well, that's good to hear. You can at least smuggle the games I suppose.

Now if only the movie industry would get the fucking hint. Oh wait, that's what PCs and extra optical drives are for. lol.

I guess for Nintendo, you just gotta wait for some guys to crack it to bypass the region locks. That's probably why Sony and M$ decided against forcing region locks; they knew that people will just bypass it anyways. Anybody remember the days where you plugged a modded gameshark into your PSX and used a spring to trick the machine into thinking the lid was still closed so you could play copied/pirated/Japanese games?

The classification board got an R rating to use to bring games in line with other media and then the board ignores it and continues to believe video games have more impact on children while forgetting what R18+ stands for. Hint it means it's not for children.

I do enjoy the morally justified pirating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    The classification board got an R rating to use to bring games in line with other media and then the board ignores it and continues to believe video games have more impact on children while forgetting what R18+ stands for. Hint it means it's not for children.

I do enjoy the morally justified pirating.
    To be fair, a lot of PARENTS don't know what the R18+ stands for. Don't even begin to think that every single GTA5 player is 18 or older, lol.

I'm sure that's what the rating board is afraid of -- bad parents not respecting the ratings.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I pirate everything I can here because they always jack up the prices for everything, even online releases. I'm not talking about currency conversions or anything else. I can buy a game with US dollars online through Paypal and I'm going to get shafted with a 30% markup. If I absolutely have to pay for a game legitimately (like WoW) I will but if there's any way around it, I'll pirate it on the spot. Same goes with any show or movie or ebook. I'm just not interested in paying extra for shit just because "fuck you Australia".

I have Foxtel (which is paid cable in Australia) and if something isn't on that, I'm pirating the fuck out of it too. They are really good about showing Game of Thrones on time so I have no need to pirate it. For old episodes and shit I absolutely pirate them because I view owning DVDs and shit as a thing of the past.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

I feel the dev that said that is too scared to face the criticism over what caused the "ban" so he's sticking his head in the sand with his silly "just pirate it" line.

The lazy ass could just edit and resubmit and noone would care in a few weeks time.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

The dev of HM said to ONE fan to pirate the game and he dont need to send any money, why does everyone think he was referring to other people?

10+ Year Old Account
    aussies pirate everything anyway, this game will be no different.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Just pirate it? Sounds like he is working with the ISP's to get more people to pirate so they can send more threatening letters when people get caught!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    I feel the dev that said that is too scared to face the criticism over what caused the "ban" so he's sticking his head in the sand with his silly "just pirate it" line.

The lazy ass could just edit and resubmit and noone would care in a few weeks time.
    Yeah, they should also edit all those nude madonna paintings from the middle ages so people today aren't offended by the nipple hanging out!
    You're a towel.