Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

"Veteran Edition" seems pointless

This isn't being discussed here, which surprises me. It is being discussed here:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...0254621?page=1

Blue replies here:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...4621?page=3#44
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...621?page=7#131

Personally, I am very disappointed that Blizzard keeps playing this game of "chicken" with the player base. I already know who will flinch first - they will. But it does seem to keep taking longer than I might have guessed it would. My point is simply that I know I can stay unsubbed longer than they can resist implementing a Free to Play model. Given the current quality of the game, and I have 20 days of playing it to inform my opinion, there is zero chance I will pay more money to continue playing it, but I would pop in occasionally if it were free to play or maybe if I find some extreme discounted offering. Honestly, it's the sub fee that I balk at the most, but in the aggregate all of the various fees charged for all the possible services - well, it just wears me out. So I stay unsubbed.

But...

I would like to see an account type that lets me play the game for which I already paid - that is to say everything before WoD. Not being able to log in and do old content on my existing toons seems a bit ridiculous to me. And that part has always annoyed me. I guess they have no intention of changing that despite the WoW blogosphere being 100% wrong about what a veteran account might bring.

Of course, there's the rub. What people wanted and hoped this might be versus what it actually is instead.

I'm actually sorry this bit was datamined in the first place. What a useless "feature." Just like so much of they produce nowadays. I mean, they are actually wasting development time on this new account type.

It's not a useless feature; it'll allow old players to comeback and see their new models and some new features and talk to some old friends before they decide whether or not to come back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    pe that lets me play the game for which I already paid - that is to say everything before WoD. Not being able to log in and do old content on my existing toons seems a bit ridiculous to me. And that part has always annoyed me. I guess they have no intention of changing that despite the WoW blogosphere being 100% wrong about what a veteran account might bring.
    So... a subscription only for current expansion content? As in, 1-90 is buy-to-play, Draenor requires a sub?

That... is very intriguing.

what are you talking about ???
    Be feared, or be fuel

My WoD sub comes to an end soon, and won't be re-subbing (can't afford it anyway, but WoD has been a huge disappointment for me).

My dream Free mode would be - can log in, but can't do raids/competitive PvP (ranked)/and some other stuff maybe.

I'd love to just be able to log into my main char to hang out... the "Veteran edition" as it's been described seems rather pointless.

BTW, should add - I'd actually be quite happy if they never add a F2P mode anyway, I'd end up playing WAY more than I should.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't even think it should be talked about as a "feature." The way they've talked about it, it seems more like the smoothing of a bump, the filling in of a gap. Not something to advertise in 6.1 patch notes or to stick in the "What's new?" frame when you log into a character for the first time in a long time.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

The second blue reply claims that a "veteran" player cannot even so much as log onto existing toons over level 20. So everything one might do has to be done by toons under level 20 and with all of the other restrictions. In its current state of poor development this feature offers almost nothing to the existing player. Sure, you can log onto your account but you can't log onto any of your toons over level 20.

Erm...what?!

To be honest, I almost feel that the blue replies are merely an attempt to quell rampant rumours on a feature that is still being developed. I expect that what the account type becomes might be more in line with giving players access to the things they already have in-game while simultaneously denying them access to current content. Basically, a 1-90 buy to play model as suggested above.

Buy to play is my future and where I see value. I really can't get into Blizzard nickel and diming me to death for WoW's current garrison-craft. I'd be delighted to play the WoW material for which I have already paid.

I really don't see their current model as sustainable, it was just that they did what they thought they could get away with. And for a month or two, they did get away with it.

Now they are going to bleed subs like a hemophiliac on anticoagulants...

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    So... a subscription only for current expansion content? As in, 1-90 is buy-to-play, Draenor requires a sub?

That... is very intriguing.
    Except what happens if you bought WoD, leveled characters to 100, and then unsubbed? I wouldn't mind being 'barred' from WoD content -- frankly I haven't done anything in Draenor since hitting 100 (since there's nothing to do) -- but it would bug me to not be able to play my 100s since obviously I leveled my favorite characters first.

- - - Updated - - -

The second blue reply claims that a "veteran" player cannot even so much as log onto existing toons over level 20.
    That's dumb. How is that any better than the Starter Edition then? I don't have a single alt below level 40 let alone 20.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Now that strings and a new account type have been added, it gives them the flexibility to adjust access levels separate from the starter account in the future. To expect them to move to increased free access less than three months after they reported massive increases to sub numbers is unrealistic. Would give them the ability to tweak settings late in this expansion's life, though, for example giving free access to veteran accounts for 1-90 to entice folks to return and call it a limited time feature beyond the occasional "come back to WoW for a free week" promotions...

- - - Updated - - -

That's dumb. How is that any better than the Starter Edition then? I don't have a single alt below level 40 let alone 20.
    It allows you to add characters to a guild that you already have characters in, and allows you to use guild chat, neither of which a starter account can do. You don't have any alts below 40, but you could always create a new one. They want people to reconnect on a social level, because they know people are more likely to return that way (not just playing to 20 on a starter account that they can't socially interact with anyone on).

Deleted
    1) Recognise OP's username
    2) Check OP's started threads
    3) Sigh

Move on, OP, let it go...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    It's not really meant to be better, just on par. Currently it is worse, because only people who don't actually have an account can play for free, which might seem a bit backwards. This is all that this "feature" is meant to change, as far as I understood it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    It's not a useless feature; it'll allow old players to comeback and see their new models and some new features and talk to some old friends before they decide whether or not to come back.
    See the new models on any toon below level 20. Talk with old players? Not even. A trial cannot whisper anyone unless they are whispered first. They cannot trade. They cannot do much of anything. I believe they Might be able to start a whisper with someone who has them on their friends list too, and Real ID should work, but whispering a player character is a no go.

OP: Yes they are useless. No, blizzard will not cave first. Did you forget flying already? Said it would be in in 6.1, now its not. They Do Not Care. Did you not see their panels? They tell us whats fun, not the other way around. Point is, they will not cave and they will not care.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    I'd love to just be able to log into my main char to hang out... the "Veteran edition" as it's been described seems rather pointless.
    Sadly, seems like that wont be a possibility seeing as how your main is probably above level 20.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Its not. They said "its odd a non paying player can play forever, but a veteran can't if their sub lapses." Not word for word, but what they said.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

veteren account will mean you can make a new f2p toon on your normal account. it will still be 1-20 and all the normal restrictions of the current starter account. all this means is you'll see your f2p toon on the same char select as your main
    somebody call for d doctor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Veteran accounts aren't a feature. It's an internal name for an account that has been unsubbed and reverted back to a Starter account. its a starter account that allows you to join guilds you're already in on other characters.

The only reason they acknowledged it is because of the data mines strings.

I really don't see their current model as sustainable
    of course it's sustainable. wow has more whales than all the oceans of the earth combined
    somebody call for d doctor?

"Would I be able to log-on to my characters that are above level 20?"

Blizzard - "No".

So it's a new type of account for veteran players with characters below level 20. So, err, nobody then?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    "Would I be able to log-on to my characters that are above level 20?"

Blizzard - "No".

So it's a new type of account for veteran players with characters below level 20. So, err, nobody then?
    It's a new type of account that allows accounts that are unsubscribed to act as a starter account. That's it.

This isn't an account you can go buy, all they've done is made it so you can keep playing on a limited level when you unsub

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    It's a new type of account that allows accounts that are unsubscribed to act as a starter account. That's it.

This isn't an account you can go buy, all they've done is made it so you can keep playing on a limited level when you unsub
    You mean when I quit wow I can still log back in with the hopes that I will sub again? Yes! Oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    OP: Yes they are useless. No, blizzard will not cave first. Did you forget flying already? Said it would be in in 6.1, now its not. They Do Not Care. Did you not see their panels? They tell us whats fun, not the other way around. Point is, they will not cave and they will not care.
    Except they've never said flying would be added back in patch 6.1, so this example is deceptive.

I will say that since they're selling gametime for gold anyway, they might as well go ahead and make old expansions, at least up to Wrath, be "Starter Edition" material with all the normal features except no access to Trade/General Chat, Auction Houses and Trading with other players. For Veterans Accounts just go up to whatever the highest "Battlechest level" is and give it the same restrictions.

That way people can log on and play but can't be using it as an even cheaper way to sell gold and the like. It's a lot easier to attract non-subscribers back by letting them see their friends playing in-game but not being able to join them till they buy the rest.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post

Play what? My toons were all level 85 when I stopped playing. If they want me to start new toons on another server, they are going to need to offer a HELL of a lot more than this.

All moot anyway, no way I will ever go back to this game again. I know better now.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.