Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Too poor to do Anything, Help Me

EDIT: I have decided to find another job so that I can (hopefully) have enough time and money for my hobby

My parents don't make enough money to afford taking me to do any classes of any kind. My brother works but refuses to share the money he makes. If I work, I won't have enough time between high school, scholarships, college stuff, and work to actually do the activity I pay for.

I stay inside all day and play video games, angry because I'm young and somewhat athletic for sitting around all day with all this pent up energy doing NOTHING. I want to learn new skills. I want to do a sport. I want to socialize with people who share my interests.

I wanted to do MMA - the only legit gym goes for $250 and up.

I wanted to do parkour - it's $150 month and my parents say it's too expensive (It's the cheapest long term plan they have)

I wanted to learn gymnastics - I am too old to be taught gymnastics according to all the gyms nearby as they only have beginner classes for 5-8 year-olds.

I've wanted to learn gymnastics the most and it really sucks knowing that one of my dreams is practically impossible and that those lucky enough to have supportive parents with enough money at a young age got to learn such fascinating new abilities.

Soccer clubs go for over 170 and up.

I don't like basketball, baseball, football (too expensive because bad health insurance), the only nearby swimming club (I used to swim in school) is at least $200 dollars a month. I would lift weights, but with so many contradicting articles on bodybuilding.com I have no idea what to nor where to start and I don't know anyone willing to teach me how to lift weights. Sometimes I run around my neighborhood a good 2-3 miles, but it bores me because it's the same thing over and over and over again.

Snow sports are out of the question because there is no snow here. I obviously can't do anything that involves a lot of equipment like horse racing, motor cross, or any of the sort.

I hate the fact that the cheapest option is to sit here and do nothing. What can I do? I don't want to wait over a year, I'm going to go crazy doing nothing here!
    Last edited by neffero; 2015-01-19 at 03:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well gymanstics is pretty much not going to happen, at least not at a competing level. Those people start training when they are like three now its pretty crazy.

You could do it for fun though. A lot of the stuff on that list you could probably do for cheaper/free!

Honestly if you are in high school, you should put a lot of effort into your studies/get good grades/get into good school/get good job/have great life with money/break the cycle of being not so rich.

- - - Updated - - -

Also try joining a forum that talks about your interests; or even post in the sports and fitness section here in the types of things you like!
    You're a towel.

Work and make time, otherwise sell plasma or some other way to make money. Where are you getting these video games?

Plan what your spending it on and if its something you will actually do. No use spending hundreds of dollars some something you will give up in 2 weeks.

Can just learn to accept things how they are, some of us never got to do what we wanted with our lives.
    Get a pressure treated 2x12 thats a cheap weight

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Can't you parkour for free by running around your town? I feel like that's a thing I have seen people do. They may fail at first, but eventually they get the hang of it.
    I've been encouraged to, but I live in Miami and there are 0 hills or any of the sort. Literally the only way I can learn is going to the warehouse districts with all the ramps and elevated roofs. The problem is that I don't want to hurt myself. I want to learn from the comfort of a gym where it's soft if I fall and where I have a teacher guiding me so that I can become really good. I don't want to learn things the wrong way and end up breaking my leg or worse. I know some may consider that being a huge vag, but I also have to consider the fact that if I get seriously hurt, my parents might not be able to pay bills.

10+ Year Old Account
    have you thought about joining the military

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Well gymanstics is pretty much not going to happen, at least not at a competing level. Those people start training when they are like three now its pretty crazy.

You could do it for fun though. A lot of the stuff on that list you could probably do for cheaper/free!

Honestly if you are in high school, you should put a lot of effort into your studies/get good grades/get into good school/get good job/have great life with money/break the cycle of being not so rich.

- - - Updated - - -

Also try joining a forum that talks about your interests; or even post in the sports and fitness section here in the types of things you like!
    I get straight A's in the hardest classes my school has to offer. I'm not trying to show off, but I'm just saying I have school down.

I am also writing a book on my free time, which I think would be pretty successful since I believe I am a good writer.

Where can I do this for free? How? How many years would it take to learn something as complicated as gymnastics? How would I even condition for something like that?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are doing well in school, you know for a fact your life is going to be better, it just takes time

If you aren't, their are other options as well.

miami is a VERY expensive place to live, perhaps when choosing colleges, choose one in a cheaper area to live? Perhaps a smaller town so you have places to run/work out for free. (though I am fairly sure most colleges have free gyms now?)
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Work and make time, otherwise sell plasma or some other way to make money. Where are you getting these video games?

Plan what your spending it on and if its something you will actually do. No use spending hundreds of dollars some something you will give up in 2 weeks.

Can just learn to accept things how they are, some of us never got to do what we wanted with our lives.
    Get a pressure treated 2x12 thats a cheap weight
    Plasma?

I buy games on Steam Sale when they are like 10-15 dollars each. Steam sales happen like every 6 months and I sometimes don't even buy games.

What's a pressure treated 2x12.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    have you thought about joining the military
    Military kept calling me to join since I got a 94/99 on the ASVAB. I don't want to be in the military though, just because of my own preference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by neffero View Post
    I get straight A's in the hardest classes my school has to offer. I'm not trying to show off, but I'm just saying I have school down.

I am also writing a book on my free time, which I think would be pretty successful since I believe I am a good writer.

Where can I do this for free? How? How many years would it take to learn something as complicated as gymnastics? How would I even condition for something like that?
    Well, like I said, gymnastics at your age is going to be pretty much impossible to get into. they train their entire lives for that. I want to play basketball, but I didn't start til high school, and I'm a shortish white guy that can't jump very high or shoot. I kind of made peace with the fact that it will never happen

- - - Updated - - -

Plasma?

I buy games on Steam Sale when they are like 10-15 dollars each. Steam sales happen like every 6 months and I sometimes don't even buy games.

- - - Updated - - -

Military kept calling me to join since I got a 94/99 on the ASVAB. I don't want to be in the military though, just because of my own preference.
    Plasma is like selling blood. You are probably to young for that though.

I assume he means a weight lifting thing with the 2x12.
    You're a towel.

Plasma?

- - - Updated - - -

Plasma is the stuff that is extracted from your body and used for blood transfusions Mr. Straight A student. Since you're so cardiovascular you shouldn't have a problem with donating it and getting paid.

But it can't be done very often, once every 2 weeks maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    If you are doing well in school, you know for a fact your life is going to be better, it just takes time

If you aren't, their are other options as well.

miami is a VERY expensive place to live, perhaps when choosing colleges, choose one in a cheaper area to live? Perhaps a smaller town so you have places to run/work out for free. (though I am fairly sure most colleges have free gyms now?)
    I can get into really good schools, but since I'm to poor to afford even tuition (not to mention getting there and other external costs) I can forget about going anywhere but locally, which is some crappy university that I'm going to dread going to for the next 4 years. My parents are also discouraging me from leaving, knowing that they can't pay.

At least my dad has been raising money to get me a 1500 dollar car. I'm not mad at my parents and I don't hate them or anything, I realize that they work hard for me, it just really sucks never being able to do anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could get a job that involves intense labor

2 birds 1 stone

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Plasma is the stuff that is extracted from your body and used for blood transfusions Mr. Straight A student. Since you're so cardiovascular you shouldn't have a problem with donating it and getting paid.

But it can't be done very often, once every 2 weeks maybe?
    I don't know how I feel about that, it seems a bit too drastic. I mean I didn't realize that as an option, so thanks for that.

I can get into really good schools, but since I'm to poor to afford even tuition (not to mention getting there and other external costs) I can forget about going anywhere but locally, which is some crappy university that I'm going to dread going to for the next 4 years. My parents are also discouraging me from leaving, knowing that they can't pay.
    1. FAFSA

2. What makes a pay-to-play activity better than one that's free-to-play?

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    You could get a job that involves intense labor

2 birds 1 stone
    That's not a bad idea, really. Seems pretty possible.

I don't know about your town, but there's pick-up soccer games in the parks in my city. I used to play with a bunch of people from where I worked, and there'd be some regulars from the park sometimes who would join us.

I don't know how I feel about that, it seems a bit too drastic. I mean I didn't realize that as an option, so thanks for that.
    So what ARE you willing to do if you're desperate for cash? Desperation implies willingness. How old are you? Do you want a job? Do you want to be rewarded for the work you do? What are your plans for the future and how can you start building the bridge to get there by tonight?

Deleted
    How old are you? Can't you find employment anywhere that would give you the funds to pay for things yourself? If you're not old enough for actual employment, there's always pot-washing, paper rounds, scrap collecting, builder's mate, or stocking shelves in small stores. At least you'll have some cash in your pocket.

Depending where you live there's also clinical trials and that sort of thing if you can't find a job.

At least my dad has been raising money to get me a 1500 dollar car. I'm not mad at my parents and I don't hate them or anything, I realize that they work hard for me, it just really sucks never being able to do anything.
    Uhm, Fafsa? Other student loans?

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    1. FAFSA

2. What makes a pay-to-play activity better than one that's free-to-play?
    I've already applied to FAFSA and maybe I can get to a better college, although I'd have to leave against my parents, who will definitely be yelling at me the entire time I'm packing my bags and ready to leave. If I were to leave, I know they wouldn't drive me. I'd have to get a friend going to the same school to carpool with.