Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    That is a silly way to think, its not about having something to hide, its about it being abused, and basic right of privacy.
    Pick up that can.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    if you have nothing to hide you should be okay with this
    I belive the problema is, every one has something to hide, it may not be relevant for others bur they still want to hide it.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    Don't we already sort of have this? I think we call them cellphones (or mobilephones or whatever). Most of humanity in the western world seems to be glued to theirs. Can't speak for the rest of the world.
    It's possible to turn your cell phone off.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a problem with it but if you're talking about the type of microchip that are put into pets... They have to be scanned & only carry basic information - basically a fingerprint?

I assume you're not (after re-reading the OP). The general population would probably have a problem with the whole "Government knows where I know" (Not that you can't find that out via your phone/social media) but for the people convicted of crimes I think it'd be a pretty good idea.

Deleted
    That is a horribly overused and really bad argument made in order to legitimate any kind of surveillance. No, even if you have nothing to hide, it is perfectly possible to not want to be absolutely trackable all the time.

Like Reeve already wrote, at least you can turn of your cellphone or simply not take it with you. This is not the case with such chips.

I rather simply hand over my wallet, then to have some psycho kidnap me, carve it from my body and god knows what else... Just sayin
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Pick up that can.
    Psh, havent drinked anything out of a can in more than 5 years

Deleted
    If by this stage we have legalized weed then yeah, chip 'em all! If not, fuck the chip!

Deleted
    I need to install cameras in every room of your current place of residence.

I mean, if you have nothing to hide why wouldn't you accept this?

P.S

They also record audio.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Oh, if only.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    I need to install cameras in every room of your current place of residence.

I mean, if you have nothing to hide why wouldn't you accept this?

P.S

They also record audio.
    There have been people who have done this, the most famous of which being Jennicam. Surprise surprise, she stopped.

Not really no. Can't remove a dictator from power with a Glock 9MM.

- - - Updated - - -

Go ahead and post all your personal information online, including credit card numbers, bank account numbers, social security numbers, full name and address, pictures of your house with layout, naked photos of yourself, medical history, full genomic sequence, and all your online passwords, and then maybe we can have a discussion about having nothing to hide.
    I didn't know this would expose your
    CC number
    Back acoount
    SS number
    Full name
    Address
    House BPs
    Nake photos

etc to the world.

I thought this was about police etc. being able to track you if needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Well, using a cell phone at all is still a choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerchrist View Post
    I didn't know this would expose your
    CC number
    Back acoount
    SS number
    Full name
    Address
    House BPs
    Nake photos

etc to the world.

I thought this was about police etc. being able to track you if needed.
    You're missing the point. The point is that nobody has nothing to hide. Everyone has things to hide.

And the world police are already recording all your communications. It's no longer "if needed." They don't require individualized warrants anymore. I don't think the government should have that kind of power. Maybe the current regime is benevolent, but things change. They have before and they will again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amunrasonther View Post
    I was under the impression that there are microchips for pets that sends out a signal and can be traced. Otherwise, maybe microchip is the wrong word to use. How about implantable tracking device? Much like computer technology, I'm sure tracking technology can get smaller and more powerful.
    They already exist, they are called ankle monitors. Sizing one of those down to microchip size would require quite the breakthrough in technology.

- - - Updated - - -

You're missing the point. The point is that nobody has nothing to hide. Everyone has things to hide.

And the world police are already recording all your communications. It's no longer "if needed." They don't require individualized warrants anymore. I don't think the government should have that kind of power. Maybe the current regime is benevolent, but things change. They have before and they will again.
    .Gov is anything from benevolent. What is up with the "God save the King mentality"? It's beyond me why people want to give another bunch of Human beings crap tons of power over other human beings, and they worship this ideology.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    .Gov is anything from benevolent.
    OK, so that's an assertion. Why do you say that?

Deleted
    That can arise suspicious though. Police overhere have brought charges against drugdealers that would all turn off their burners at the same time doing an "operation". Naturally the court hasn't ruled anything yet, but it's an interesting theory. The CIA station chief in the Bourne Identity gets caught like this aswell. Sometimes turning it off can rise suspicious, as it becomes the norm to have it always on.

Should we? No.
    How long before people figure out how to hack them? Then what? Take them out put another in every year or so? Would you want to put up with that annually? I bet they would charge you each time. It won't be cheap.

Won't be too hard to create false chips once hackers figure it out thus defeating the point.

How hard would it be for a murderer to just higher a hacker to change his chip info?

Unless you plan to force people to use them not everyone will have them. Criminals most likely will remove them assuming they are put in in prison or something. What will discourage that? Makeing it kill the user if removed by them? How will you convince society that doing so is okay?

There are way too many moral and social problems with chipping humans. Too much can go wrong for something you plan to put into people and you can't stop hackers from figuring the chips out and making them pointless. There is no real feasible way to chip everyone even if you wanted to.

I can see it maybe on a personal level but I doubt greatly that it will ever happen on a broader bigger picture scale. It makes no since when we can't even keep our credit card chips secure from RF scanners. Chipping all humanity just isn't a smart idea and only really has any weight as a gimmicky thing to make a buck or get votes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    That can be traced aswell. Police overhere have brought charges against drugdealers that would all turn off their burners at the same time doing an "operation". Naturally the court hasn't ruled anything yet, but it's an interesting theory. The CIA station chief in the Bourne Identity gets caught like this aswell. Sometimes turning it off can rise suspicious, as it becomes the norm to have it always on.
    Don't turn off the telescreen.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Much like being employed is a "choice", it's mostly a non-choice in that unless you're willing to sacrifice quite a bit, it's mandatory. Landlines are dying or dead in many places. You certainly can't live in the modern world without a means of being contacted. The number of jobs where a phone is required is quite large. Hell, if I'm on the go and I miss an important email from a client, my ass is getting chewed out when I get back to work.

I mean, I get what you're saying, particularly in that microchipping a human is a huge violation of bodily autonomy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    They already exist, they are called ankle monitors. Sizing one of those down to microchip size would require quite the breakthrough in technology.
    Mostly a breakthrough in battery size or how to power something without a conventional battery. You could attach it to the blood vessels and use the flow to power it. That's been patented, but good luck getting anyone to approve of testing such a thing.