Deleted

Mythic Butcher - Bounding Cleaves

Hey, so my guild is progressing on mythic butcher and just like everyone else we're doing the pool party tact.
    I've also looked into a few kills of him when they use mages to soak the cleaves and I'm wondering a few things:

1. Can you blink the cleaves reliably? Nobody getting any damage at all that way.

2. I assume in order to get the charge on the mages they stay stacked all the time and everyone else stands spread out from each other? Or do they have to run into melee range after the knockback?

3. Is it possible to just have one player soak the cleave? If everyone else is in melee he should charge the lonely ranged, or do you need atleast 2?
    Last edited by mmoc0fcd26c30e; 2015-01-19 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djjoe View Post
    Hey, so my guild is progressing on mythic butcher and just like everyone else we're doing the pool party tact.
    I've also looked into a few kills of him when they use mages to soak the cleaves and I'm wondering a few things:

1. Can you blink the cleaves reliably? Nobody getting any damage at all that way.

2. I assume in order to get the charge on the mages they stay stacked all the time and everyone else stands spread out from each other? Or do they have to run into melee range after the knockback?

3. Is it possible to just have one player soak the cleave? If everyone else is in melee he should charge the lonely ranged, or do you need atleast 2?
    1. Yes you can, maybe a little more trickier but its not hard. The other mage talents like GI/IB let the mages stay still and take no damage as well.

2. Mages just stay out by themselves. Various talents let them soak cleaves. With my guild we use me and another mage to soak the boundings. We do GI, Iceblock, BoP's, GI. But you could just blink or use cold snap for double Ice Block. Just make sure no one else is stacked on each other otherwise this will one shot them without some sort of cd.

3. I think you need 2 people stacked in ranged to initiate the bounding otherwise he would bound in melee but not 100% certain.
    Last edited by TheoriesLA; 2015-01-19 at 09:27 PM.

In theory you can. However, you don't want to do that since it's too risky (at least in my opinion). You can handle it easily with other abilities anyway.

You don't need "mages" to soak Bounding Cleave. You only need 1 Mage each Bounding Cleave, that's all. Have every other range just run in melee range after the knockback (and run back out after the Bounding Cleave), with 1 mage standing outside, he is considered largest "clump" and will get charged 100% of the time.

Yes it is, as I said above. You don't need 2 for that. Ideally, just use GI and BoPs so your mages won't have any DPS downtime compared to IB-ing.

If bounding cleave hits no one, it will trigger it on the whole raid.
    You'll always need 1 person to take it to minimize the bleed being on all of the raid (and wiping you sub-30%).

So have 1 'soaker' with an immunity and 1 'porter' blinking/warlock portal away as he jumps into the air.

Yes, if everyone is in melee but one person, that person will be targeted. We use this strat in Heroic since the beginning. Two mages alternating every bounding cleave to soak with IB/GI. Mythic is ever shorter than when we progressed heroic butcher so no problem there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

We've always kept the whole ranged camp grouped at one spot from 100-30%, then we have a single 5 player group take boundings during the enrage. (We do move the boss after his first bounding, however.) There are benefits to having a single player take the soaks but the split bounding cleave damage has never been high enough to cause a wipe unless somebody was standing in the ranged clump during the enrage when they shouldn't have been.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    We've always kept the whole ranged camp grouped at one spot from 100-30%, then we have a single 5 player group take boundings during the enrage. (We do move the boss after his first bounding, however.) There are benefits to having a single player take the soaks but the split bounding cleave damage has never been high enough to cause a wipe unless somebody was standing in the ranged clump during the enrage when they shouldn't have been.
    I like the idea of no one taking damage rather than a healable group of five. We tried Butcher for the first time last night using the Pool Strat, and got to sub 10% several times. Definitely going to experiment with this on Heroic farm tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw: The "mage trick" with greater invis, iceblock, and HoPs definitely works. Might want to rotate mages on a longer pull (like Mythic) to make sure you don't run out of CDs.

Who else can do this effectively? Hunters with deterrence, etc.?

Making a list here:

Mage: Ice Block, Greater Invis

Shadow Priest: Dispersion

Paladin (on someone else or him/herself): HoP

Hunter: Deterrence
    Last edited by Threetrees; 2015-01-21 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Threetrees View Post
    I like the idea of no one taking damage rather than a healable group of five. We tried Butcher for the first time last night using the Pool Strat, and got to sub 10% several times. Definitely going to experiment with this on Heroic farm tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw: The "mage trick" with greater invis, iceblock, and HoPs definitely works. Might want to rotate mages on a longer pull (like Mythic) to make sure you don't run out of CDs.

Who else can do this effectively? Hunters with deterrence, etc.?
    Also shadow priest with dispersion

Quote Originally Posted by Sxq View Post
    Also shadow priest with dispersion
    Good call! Thanks.

We just let the range camp soak the cleave. A bit more to heal, but you get a bit more dps on the boss. Running to him, running back and using invis/dispersion is a dps loss.

One shroom from a druid should do the trick for the range camp + healthstone the first cleave after 30%.