Poll: Turn On or Off?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    depends on if the hard drive i solid state or hard disk.

SSD = it's getting turned off when not in use

HDD = on all the time

I also do this exactly, I like being able to sleep in and check things fast in the morning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what its doing. If it is doing something I will leave it on. When its doing nothing I turn it off.
    Aye mate

I leave it on for months at a time if I can. If an update that I absolutely need is asking for one, I'll shut it down, otherwise it is on 100% of the time. Never had a problem with it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    I also do this exactly, I like being able to sleep in and check things fast in the morning.
    This thing boots in a few seconds.

I've heard, though, that turning off and on a computer can reduce its life as the components expand and contract from heating/cooling but I've never experienced it. I just upgraded from my six-year-old board & cpu a few weeks ago and they were still running fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I turn it off for everything longer than 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    This thing boots in a few seconds.

I've heard, though, that turning off and on a computer can reduce its life as the components expand and contract from heating/cooling but I've never experienced it. I just upgraded from my six-year-old board & cpu a few weeks ago and they were still running fine.
    it's about moving parts. the temperature differences between the state of off and on are different enough that the individual parts of the system will experience some stresses. Just like lightbulbs, the period when the parts are most likely to break is during the turn on/off sequence.

edit: fewer parts, less chances for something to mess up. SSD = one big block of hard drive far fewer parts than a HDD (that spinning disk.... >.<)

I typically turn it off at night. I don't know why the Shut Down option in Windows 8/8.1 only puts it in Hibernate... I gotta issue 'shutdown /p' to turn my computer off. #Ubuntu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaros View Post
    I typically turn it off at night. I don't know why the Shut Down option in Windows 8/8.1 only puts it in Hibernate... I gotta issue 'shutdown /p' to turn my computer off. #Ubuntu
    You can disable that through power options in 8.1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Normally off. I suppose though it depends more if I FAAK or not.

on 24/7 less i go on vacation for more than a day or two then i'll shut it down. Only thing that goes to sleep are my monitors. My case / fans are going on 11 years only one case fan has died (man that's a long time...)
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Just curious about my fellow computer people - do you leave your PC on at all times when you're gone or do you turn it off when you're not using it?

I turn mine off when I go to sleep or while I'm gone for the day and turn it on only when I want to use it. My partner tends to leave his on all the time. I've always turned it off, ever since I built my first computer, my Cyrix 333...oh...fifteen or sixteen years ago (prior to that I used my dad's 486 and P133).
    Mine runs all the time since I run a plex media server on it(highly recommend plex) only shutting off if gone for more then 24 hours.

Off topic which part of the city are you in? I lived with in Chicago most my life Gold Coast, old town, boys town, river north etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advantage View Post
    Mine runs all the time since I run a plex media server on it(highly recommend plex) only shutting off if gone for more then 24 hours.

Off topic which part of the city are you in? I lived with in Chicago most my life Gold Coast, old town, boys town, river north etc.
    I use Plex, too!

I've lived all over Chicago, from Rogers Park to Bronzeville. South Loop at the moment

Depends how long I'm AFK. Any more than about an hour and I'll probably turn it off. I have a fairly speedy computer so it starts up very quick, really isn't worth the wasting power for 10-20 seconds of waiting

I use Plex, too!

I've lived all over Chicago, from Rogers Park to Bronzeville. South Loop at the moment
    My first place was near south side, then muesum row. I kept heading more and more north. Now I live in Milwaukee lol miss my home town

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draekan View Post
    Depends how long I'm AFK. Any more than about an hour and I'll probably turn it off. I have a fairly speedy computer so it starts up very quick, really isn't worth the wasting power for 10-20 seconds of waiting
    Yes. Yes it is.
    Aye mate

I just put it to sleep when I go to sleep. I used to shut down, but now I only shut down if I'm going out of town or need to unplug it.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I used to leave it on all the time but I eventually realized that it's pointless having it on while I'm at work for 8 hours.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

My gaming rig gets shut off whenever i wont be using it for more than an hour.

My daily-driver Mac Mini, which when idle sits about 8W, gets left on at all times. It gets used to field IMs, emails, some phone calls, messges, etc. And it doesnt suck down power so its not really driving up my bill.

On all the time now, but mostly because I'm farming steam cards 95% of the time XD.
    The caged bird sings /with a fearful trill /of things unknown /but longed for still /and his tune is heard /on the distant hill /for the caged bird/ sings of freedom.

I only leave it on if I'm seeding torrents.