Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanni View Post
    I agree. That's like saying "Oh I've been in draenor for a long time and then I went back to Stormwind to do X and didn't realize I could fly!"

It's basically a bold faced lie to try and get people to agree with no flying.

- - - Updated - - -

Firstly, never listen to the official forums. 9 times out of ten they'll be flat out wrong. the 10th person is a troll.

Second, anyone who says this is the worst addon (protip: it's called an expansion pack) has brain problems.
    How is it a bold face lie? I've been in WoD for over a month now. I barley EVER go back to the old world at this point and when i do i mount my Ground mount and after a few steps i remember "oh ya i can fly here" and it honestly feels kind of retarded.

So, no he's not a idiot and this could of easily happen. I'm sure its happened to a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Astry View Post
    To call someone a lying fuckwad because they "forgot they could fly" is ridiculous.

I can't count the times I've ported to org, or shrine or something and first thing I've done was hop on a ground mount, and I know a lot of other people who have done the same exact thing.

Being bitter about not flying, I can understand. But to call bullshit on what the blue said, is pretty silly. Flying, or no flying, hasn't phased me at all. Where the fuck am I going to fly, really? Hover in my garrison?
    This post puzzles me. Do you people not have a mount macro that uses the FLYABLE conditional modifier? I had one back in WOTLK but even if I didn't have that on my mount button, there's no chance I would ever forget that I could fly. You'd have to be a pretty dense individual to forget.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nami View Post
    It's not a lie. I keep forgetting about it too. During Darkmoon Faire, I kept running to Goldshire to take the portal until I saw someone land next to me and I was like, "Wait, I can fly!" I'm sure he's telling the truth.
    I suppose if you're the type that forgets there are NPC's in every major city that can send you there instantly then you would be the type that forgets you can fly.

I find it rather a bitter seed that so many posters detect subterfuge on the part of the Dev because it slipped his mind to mount up and fly. It does happen, it's not a conspiracy.

Having finished a Highmaul raid the group decided to go kill old world bosses for mounts. I landed, mounted, and happily started to run to the boss. Note I said run. It was not until I jumped off a river bank that it dawned on me, 'Oh..oh.. DUH' and took to the skies. So maybe, just maybe, you could accept his experience for what it is and not write more into it than that. I am willing to bet that no one in the office, least of all the poster, is trying to form some pseudo-shadow ops team to convince you that, "This is not the flight you are looking for!"

Can you upgrade garrosh heirlooms to go from 1-100?

Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    There is a game design concept called "dominant strategy". It basically says if there is something that makes the game really easy and quick, it will be used to beat the game, regardless of how boring or tedious it is. When you see blues saying "if X talent is too strong, it will be mandatory and we don't want mandatory talents", that's what they're trying to avoid.
    That makes sense. However, choice is often a decision between taking an easier route, or doing it the hard way simply for the benefit of having a choice.

For instance, choosing to buy locally grown produce for a higher price than chain store produce is a choice. One is much easier -- on your wallet, especially -- than the other, though it is entirely your choice to spend the extra cash.

Is resource gathering much easier for someone on a flying mount than on a ground mount? Absolutely. You cover more ground in a shorter space of time.

Is it impossible to still get your materials, even if you're on a ground mount. No; it is just more difficult.

Removing the choice entirely is illogical -- especially because the addition of flight only breaks a few aspects of the Warlords of Draenor expansion, and that is arguable, at best.

Common Argument #1: It takes the "fun" out of platforming to get to rare boxes, items, etc.

There is a little something to this one. I will admit, I have enjoyed trying to find my way to items by platforming my way around the terrain. At least until....

Argument against it: Aviana's Feather

Why this is counterintuitive to preserving current gameplay from the "evils" of flight: Here you have an item that allows you to bypass the platforming entirely to reach ANY item in the game (if you use it correctly). Also, it only has a 10-minute cooldown.

Common Argument #2: Flying destroys world PvP.

There is some debate about flying's effect on world PvP. Some people claim that flight destroys it, while others feel it just gives players options with regards to how they engage in it.

Argument against it: Thrallmar/Honor Hold

Why flying doesn't kill world PvP: Thrallmar/Honor Hold are among the most hit places in the Warcraft universe. At any given time, you still see people raiding them, defending them, and yes, you still see people sitting on their flying mounts in the sky watching the carnage. World PvP is no more dead than it ever was -- it just isn't done on game mechanic terms.

These are the two aspects of the game that would be hit hardest by including flight -- and neither one is dependent upon it for their survival. The only thing that would change about these two examples is the inclusion of a different option.

The rest of the Warlords of Draenor expansion would function exactly the same, or with little variance, with or without flying -- because the expansion was DESIGNED that way.

Garrison Barn farming is more lucrative than going into the world to farm, so there would be little impact to farming if flying were added. Caging beasts will still be better done with ground mounts and a large group of 5-10, for leather or fur. Upgrading your mine and herb garden will still net tremendous gains, combined with light farming in the world. The player will also still spend most of their game time in their garrisons, anyway -- queuing missions, gathering materials, defending from invasions, etc.

In short, I cannot see how flying would be detrimental to the current expansion as it exists right now. The only thing it would allow for is ease of travel. There are already items in the game that let you bypass ground mechanics, PvP situations, and just about every other design choice implemented in the game.

At this point, omitting flight just seems like more of an excuse than a logical design choice.

Tl;dr version: There isn't much evidence to support flight being detrimental to the current expansion. It just lengthens the amount of time spent traveling.

Also, if the devs wanted to preserve certain story content, they could just implement no fly zones. That would be far more preferable than removing flight entirely.
    Last edited by Rudypoo; 2015-01-20 at 11:23 PM.

Deleted
    hahaha that's hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo View Post
    Argument against it: Aviana's Feather

Why this is counterintuitive to preserving current gameplay from the "evils" of flight: Here you have an item that allows you to bypass the platforming entirely to reach ANY item in the game (if you use it correctly). Also, it only has a 10-minute cooldown.
    Don't treat the Feather like it makes everything easier-- in many ways it makes getting some of the treasures harder than it should be (the Spires of Arak tightrope treasures in particular are not helped by this)

Heck, on one of the ropes you're better served by hiring a Rogue with Shadowstep and a Swapblaster.

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    Don't treat the Feather like it makes everything easier-- in many ways it makes getting some of the treasures harder than it should be (the Spires of Arak tightrope treasures in particular are not helped by this)

Heck, on one of the ropes you're better served by hiring a Rogue with Shadowstep and a Swapblaster.
    You're definitely right about Spires of Arak. The tree covering, itself, makes the platforming nigh irritating. My main is a rogue, so I definitely have used my repertoire to get these treasures (though not that much easier than other classes).

At the same time, the tree covering would also make it difficult to land in the right place with a flying mount for some treasures, as well. It is pretty dense and low to the ground.

Still, we're talking a handful of treasures out of the hundreds throughout Draenor. Most of the treasures are in elevated places that require some platforming -- unless you have the feather that bypasses terrain climbing.

When I look at it objectively, it just seems like the only real difference between flying via mount, and flying via feather, is a matter of a few minutes (i.e. artificially prolonging a task). You are still bypassing the normal ground mechanics, just a little more slowly.

While they're doing these lil model tweaks can they also fix the horrible way armor is sitting/clipping on the new models? some of the placements are just awful. Eg. female tauren wearing their shoulders IN THEIR NECKS.

What is different about the female night elves?

Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    It's just anecdotal evidence. He enjoys no flying? That's great. I enjoy not having bought WoD yet until flying is in the game again.

But it seems I don't miss much anyways. The official forums are full of "this is the worst xpac ever" threads.

(edit: yeah, xpac seems a better translation)

Yeah, I love his condescending, "blah blah blah I'm a corporate drone."

These people really shouldn't be in contact with the public. If I say something even slightly as snide as that over the phone at my job I get a 10 minute meeting because the batshit customer sends in an email making up an exaggerated situation with both of my supervisors. He's entitled to have his little arrogant opinions and be a prick all he wants, but for him and all the others to be allowed to do it on a regular basis is pretty bad.

Anyway.

You're not missing much. The fact that I couldn't enjoy flying except for Aviana's feather which is absolutely amazing when I'm not restricted to the ground, and the fact that I won't be able to access the tier that has actual effort put into it without raiding flex or Mythic for the better sets just makes it completely unappealing to me. I had to quit for school anyway but at this rate I just don't care anymore. Maybe if they go back to "casual-mode" of tier set models not being separated to their 100 different difficulties, flying being in the game, and not everything from professions to garrisons and garrison achievements or invasions being a mindless grind I might come back.

I'm glad some of you enjoy spending 120 hours a week devoting your lives to World of Warcraft and like feeling like you put a tremendous amount of effort(time) into obtaining something but that isn't my idea of fun.

So I check mmo-champion occasionally to see updates and will continue to, but from what I've seen of 6.1 so far I can't say I'll be subscribing again anytime soon.

The environments are beautiful and the questing was fast so I will say that. And I enjoyed my garrisons, but they definitely feel like a Facebook game.

Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    Haircolors were tweaked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    This post puzzles me. Do you people not have a mount macro that uses the FLYABLE conditional modifier? I had one back in WOTLK but even if I didn't have that on my mount button, there's no chance I would ever forget that I could fly. You'd have to be a pretty dense individual to forget.
    Or just use the in game favorite mount button? It is smart enough to choose depending where you are what mount to use. Also you can put many favorites so it'll be random.

Though, I'm that dense that if I didn't use the fav mount button, I'd be mounting ground mounts first too. Just from muscle memory.

Bashiok...

The no of expletives i would use for that gentleman, would get me banned on any forum. Suffice to say, he is just toeing his employer's bottom line and relating 'fake ancedotes'. The lack of flying just exposes the weakness of this xpac, which is the garrisons and the lack of outdoor content. I have no reason to even be in my garrison anymore. I have maxed out my buildings, got a ton of resources, got the craftables i needed, leveled 3 to 100 and explored all the nooks and crannies and done the stupid treasure bit. Archaeology is dead to me and that's that.

Flying i am assuming is done for, at this point in the game. They are not going to bring it back, to expose their wafer thin content and their efforts at forcing more time expenditure in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard better be working on some important project because this damage control is getting out of control. I can't tell if they're trying to keep secrets or they just don't fucking care anymore.

Instead of BC2.0 this expansion is turning into WotLK-lite. It feels like Coliseum update all over again, where everything went to shit while they worked on the final raid. Why didn't they just have the world bosses in Ashran if they want to bring back world-pvp so badly?

Regardless, I don't how much more of these Twitter-tier blue posts I can take.

As for the usual pro-flier complaints, invest in Garrison Inn and/or Workshop like you were told. You're not getting flying until Blizzard actually finishes Draenor, like they implied. If you didn't buy WoD yet because of no flying be thankful you're not actually missing anything except Legendary Questline grind.

I can't think of a single instance on Draenor that would benefit from flying rather than detract from it. It's so compact and clusterfucky compared to Outlands. I'd go as far to say it feels so linear that you're obligated to use flight paths.

Hell, you still can't fly in or to Ghostlands/Azuremyst. Those places are WAY over-due for an overhall.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2015-01-21 at 08:39 AM.

Deleted
    Just me or does mmo-champ have a lot of colour blind people?

10+ Year Old Account
    okay so those among us who would never forget we can fly assumed that the blue poster was FOS. apparently there are numbers of people halfway to senility. I guess we can admit we were wrong. also, go see your doctor and tell him about your memory problems. but remember pot has been shown to decrease plaque build up in the brain (which leads to alzheimers) greater than and with fewer side effects than any pharmaceuticals.

also, bring back flying. slowing down content progression is not the same as adding adequate content. not that I was ever one to complain about a lack of content myself which makes it all the worse that I'm having to do without flying.

I don't imagine this means level 85 heirlooms are being upgraded automatically to 90?
    Last edited by terminaltrip421; 2015-01-21 at 03:45 PM.

Flying in Draenor
    It's weird, I got the Garrison mission that rewards the Halaa tokens, so I went back to Outland to go buy the war Talbuk I never got. I take a taxi from the portal to Telaar, and then run to Halaa, and it wasn't until I saw someone else on a flying mount that it even hit me that I *could* fly. It was a really ... impactful, I guess, realization on how flying/not flying impacts my own personal gameplay. I guess the answer for me is not very much.

I know. Blah blah blah I'm a corporate drone, etc. etc. but honestly, as a player, I didn't even consider it was something that I had available to me. I think that says... something. I'm not sure what... Maybe just that I'm not personally that attached to flying as a game mechanic? I can understand how the exact opposite could be true for others, though. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    this bunch of bullshit right here is NOT going to make people forget they can fly in pre WOD zones. If anything it will make them wish they could fly in WOD zones even more once they reach 100.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    Slight, and I do mean SLIGHT, alterations to the hair colors and it looks like the markings actually go up to the eyes now instead of stopping a fair bit away from them. I mean there are other issues like Certain armors not sitting right and looking terribly stretched on the new models. This is exacerbated by the old outdated textures on the old armors. Also there are still the issues or armors clipping terribly on the new models as well as hair clipping in a bad way as well on armors. They should take a hint from TERA and have long hairs automatically change to a short hairstyle depending on the armor worn.