Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Changing Alliances: Armenia and Russia at Odds (Greymane Global Trends) GGT

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...934497678.html

For Armenia, its role as a reliable partner and ally of Russia has never faced any real challenge. Much of this reliance on Russia stems from essential security and economic concerns.

Armenia's security reliance on Russia is driven by a virtual state of war with neighbouring Azerbaijan, rooted in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, only exacerbated by the absence of "normal" diplomatic relations and closed border with Turkey. And with the Turkish refusal to recognise the Armenian genocide, this threat perception is only magnified.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...rmenia-twitter
    Azerbaijan’s president has threatened war with Armenia via Twitter, after dozens were killed in clashes over a disputed area of land that both countries lay claim to.

In a lengthy series of tweets, taken from a speech delivered the previous day, President Ilham Aliyev said several Azeri lives had been lost in clashes over Nagorno-Karabakh, and pledged to restore what he said was his country’s “territorial integrity”.

Its not just Ukraine

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Wait so people declare war over twitter now?

@Russia
    #War #Redisdead #Murica

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Wait so people declare war over twitter now?

@Russia
    #War #Redisdead #Murica
    Yes.... The leader of Azerbaijan has threatened Armenia many times on twitter.

Deleted
    Are you running an MMO-C news service now, Genn?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a bit of luck they don't have any problems with Bosnia and Herzegovina, otherwise half their characters would be used up before they could get to the threats of war.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It's a bit of luck they don't have any problems with Bosnia and Herzegovina, otherwise half their characters would be used up before they could get to the threats of war.
    do the Welsh have a news agency that posts on twitter?

"Llanfair*pwllgwyngyll*gogery*chwyrn*drobwll*llan*tysilio*gogo*goch fair draws crowd of"

why the shit is this forum adding *'s into that? MMO-C Hooked on Phonics or something?
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2015-01-20 at 10:26 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    Are you running an MMO-C news service now, Genn?
    Yeah I'm trying to figure out why he keeps appending "Greymane Global Trends" as if this is his up and coming think-tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm not sure what to think of someone capable of delivering threatening war over Twitter. Does this guy realize he has permanently reduced himself to cartoon villain status?
    He looks more Inspector Clouseau than villain...

The Peter Sellers one of course, not that more recent abomination.

Deleted
    Am I the only one that reads GGT as Greymanes gay threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Am I the only one that reads GGT as Greymanes gay threads?
    Thats for another thread

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm not sure what to think of someone capable of delivering threatening war over Twitter. Does this guy realize he has permanently reduced himself to cartoon villain status?
    Well, if you read up on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict in the '90s, you will realize Azerbaijan is basically already a cartoon villain, and a shockingly incompetent one at that. War is inevitable there, right now Armenia controls over 1/3 of Azerbaijan, and has an exclusion zone over almost another third, since Azerbaijan kept shooting artillery at them from it, Armenia simply stated that they would kill anyone that came within 25 miles of the border. So that area is now deserted, including the fairly significant cities there.

Azerbaijan has been pouring their massive amounts of oil revenue into defense spending ever since then, they now have a military budget greater than Armenia's GDP. Their main concern is a Russian intervention on Armenia's behalf, with Russia occupied it is likely we will see an invasion in the next few months.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    He looks more Inspector Clouseau than villain...

The Peter Sellers one of course, not that more recent abomination.
    Ahahah this guy could never be a villain.

Then again... assad can be just as goofy... and what about Mr. Kim unicorn raider Jun?

- - - Updated - - -

Europe is building pipes from Azerbaijan.
    Wherever we go, war follows.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Ahahah this guy could never be a villain.

Then again... assad can be just as goofy... and what about Mr. Kim unicorn raider Jun?

- - - Updated - - -

Europe is building pipes from Azerbaijan.
    Wherever we go, war follows.
    This war really isn't about Oil, building pipes from Azerbaijan is normal. Azerbaijan had an oil boom in the 1930s, long before any other region of the world. The conquest of what is now Azerbaijan was Hitler's primary goal in invading the Soviet Union, securing the Baku oil fields. They are building pipelines because Azerbaijan wants to sell the oil.

This conflict is based on something different though, when the Soviet Union broke up, large amounts of ethnic Armenians lived in the regions of Nagorno and Karabakh, which were part of the Azerbaijan SSR. After the formation of the independent nation of Azerbaijan, the majority muslim Azeri population began ethnic cleansing of the primarily christian Armenian minorities. The nation of Armenia objected of course, these were the same people, and prior to the breakup of the Soviet Union they were neighbors. The UN refused to hear Armenia's complaints, so Armenia invaded Nagorno to protect ethnic Armenians.

The funny thing about this, is that Armenia is impoverished, with no real military, while Azerbaijan inherited a huge portion of Soviet Military power that was stationed to protect the oil fields. In addition of course, Azerbaijan controls the revenue of the Baku oil fields.

Armenia attacked just the same, with light infantry vs. tanks and overwhelming air power. And they won, massively in fact, taking several brigades worth of tanks from the Azeris, as well as lots of jets and other military equipment. They also annexed Norgorno and Karabakh, which claims are still not recognized by any western government. After the end of the fighting, Azerbaijan began a program of terror shelling villages in Karabakh with artillery, in response, the Armenians threatened to kill anyone within 25 miles of the border. Which they did, so Azerbaijan withdrew from the border regions, leaving a huge dead zone through the center of the country.

Needless to say Azerbaijain is still pretty pissed about not controlling a third of their own country, and being humiliated by a much smaller poorer nation, so they plan to get even. Europeans are really not causing this particular war.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this heats up, this will be another Chechnya... You don't fuck with southern parts of former USSR... There used to be a stereotype in USSR, which isn't quite correctly defines in this wiki, but I don't want to type for 15 min to describe... it touches on some symbolism:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrek
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Russia is done for. Now it's not just words, I desperately and actively search for possible options to leave this place as soon as possible.

You think things are bad and scary watching your TV sets in cozy western countries, while your only problems are cultural enrichment crime rate and slight unemployment. Let me tell you this: things are way worse than it looks from your news reports. Several years ago some people thought that most of the elections are rigged, but by now it's obvious: they aren't. It's not just putin and his mafia, it's the people who literally want to return to the worst aspects of the soviet epoch. It may sound amazing, but the majority of russians actually support the degenerate drunken fucktard who has killed a whole Armenian family.
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    The unfortunate fact of the matter is that many, many people in wow are very passionate in their obsession with acting like a complete retard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    Russia is done for. Now it's not just words, I desperately and actively search for possible options to leave this place as soon as possible.

You think things are bad and scary watching your TV sets in cozy western countries, while your only problems are cultural enrichment crime rate and slight unemployment. Let me tell you this: things are way worse than it looks from your news reports. Several years ago some people thought that most of the elections are rigged, but by now it's obvious: they aren't. It's not just putin and his mafia, it's the people who literally want to return to the worst aspects of the soviet epoch. It may sound amazing, but the majority of russians actually support the degenerate drunken fucktard who has killed a whole Armenian family.
    You have my deepest sympathies. I've only visited Russia twice and once barely counts since that was exclusively a visit to Moscow but even that one trip around the more impoverished parts of Russia is frightening.. It's like a huge group of tiny little Detroits scattered and they just get worse and worse the further away from western Russia you get..

Imagining a life in Russia is not a life I'd want to live. I hope you find a way into Europe or the U.S as soon as possible and hope you'll be welcomed not with scepticism and national profiling but as a human being looking for a fresh start =)

How come an insane soldier represents the entirety Russia? Armenia has no options. They are next to 2 Muslim countries that want to destroy them and Russia already saved them in 1990s. Armenia is going to join the Eurasian Economic Union this or next year.

As bad as this tragedy is, it changes nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    It's not just putin and his mafia, it's the people who literally want to return to the worst aspects of the soviet epoch. It may sound amazing, but the majority of russians actually support the degenerate drunken fucktard who has killed a whole Armenian family.
    I can believe that. I don't believe he can win a straight election but even Robert Mugabe has a legitimate and significant support in Zimbabwe and he could write a book on how to destroy a country.

Deleted
    I'm confused, where's the part where Armenia and Russia are at odds?

Deleted
    Russia: So, Armenia, you mad about something? Tell us how mad you are *rubs nipples*.