Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

State of the Union

Who is watching President Obama give the SOTU?!

7+ Year Old Account
    I am. I'm always surprised at how great of a speaker he is. Like him or not, you can't deny that
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

Although I've heard a preview of some good ideas (broadband) I don't see the point in wasting time in ideas Republicans won't pass because Obama.

I know it's been like this since... the longest I can remember but I mean did they really need to stand and clap after almost every boast? To me, the SOTU is almost like a board room meeting, explaining the direction of the company, etc. You don't stand and clap after a year in review and where we plan to go.

Edit: I actually like some of his ideas, but without a solid funding package and how it's not going to just tack on more to the deficit, I can't politically support them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not expecting too much tonight either, ya sure he's got ideas, but I am honestly pessimistic. Not like most of his ideas pass anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Here's an accurate recap.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/wel...-listin,37811/

I saw Fox advertising that "The Five" were live tweeting the SoTU, so there's that.

That childcare thing directly affects me. It was cheaper for my wife to leave the workforce then to pay for childcare in Louisiana and this state is considered cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skipping it. Six years into Obama's presidency, it's waaay past time to judge him on things he says. Watch what he does, and which of his actions succeed. What he says is irrelevant - you'll be less informed after watching than you were before. (And that's before getting into how he's basically a lame duck with a Republican Congress, now.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

7+ Year Old Account
    Not really getting the sick leave thing, is it nice? sure, but is it really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    That childcare thing directly affects me. It was cheaper for my wife to leave the workforce then to pay for childcare in Louisiana and this state is considered cheap.
    Yeah in a sane world there should be a ton of room for cooperation between liberals and social conservatives on this one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YakoVex View Post
    Not really getting the sick leave thing, is it nice? sure, but is it really necessary?
    Ever worked to support yourself with a job that didn't offer sick leave?

I work in a hospital that does not have it and I know of nurses who show up sick so uhhh yeah

Yes. It's healthier to stay home and not spread shit around.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I am. Liking what I am hearing so far.
    Liking most of it, but some of it just makes me cringe hard. I can't stand the anecdotes and some of the snarky comments. "I mean...Its 2015, guys, get with the times!"

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    I work in a hospital that does not have it and I know of nurses who show up sick so uhhh yeah
    So we're trying to tie it to "instead of shitty people going to work possibly infecting others, we should give them the ability to stay home with pay so they don't possibly infect others"?

Side-note, and hopefully this doesn't turn this into a minimum wage thread but I can't ever get behind raising minimum wage because "you can't raise a family on $15k/year". I'm sorry but it's just blatant that you shouldn't be able to raise a family flipping burgers or working a cash register and I don't think anyone, EVER thought that was supposed to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    So we're trying to tie it to "instead of shitty people going to work possibly infecting others, we should give them the ability to stay home with pay so they don't possibly infect others"?
    Shitty people? Bills gotta get paid dude.

Its just more of the same propaganda rhetoric of tax and spend and class warfare all to create more freebies paid for by others to purchase votes for the up coming elections

10+ Year Old Account
    Ill admit it, I rather liked the FUCK CHINA trade lines. Good stuff.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.