Need some people to join me in the Otaku closet!

Robin#1854.

Would love friends to chat all things anime/manga.

I'm a dude so don't think of this as a way to find your special otaku girlfriend you never met before.

Need anime suggestions and I love actually talking about which character died this chapter in akame ga kill :P instead of telling scrub casual fans OH JUST WAIT FOR IT THERE WILL BE DEATH.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a chat thread in this same sub-forum devoted to discussions like that, you may find an interest in checking it out, right over here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    There's a chat thread in this same sub-forum devoted to discussions like that, you may find an interest in checking it out, right over here.
    STOP TELLING EVERYONE ABOUT THE SPR SEKRIT CLB GAWWD. Your the worst.
    Last edited by mmocf7b2f6566d; 2015-01-21 at 06:14 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's kind of funny. The word "otaku" in Japanese has VERY negative connotations. It's used to describe someone who is obsessed with something in such an unhealthy way that they need professional help. Don't call someone an otaku in Japan unless you want to insult them. I like anime, but I don't call myself an otaku for that reason. I've studied a little bit of Japanese and that's something I learned very early on. I just say I like anime lol.

This excerpt from tvtropes describes it:
    Neither geek nor nerd is an adequate translation. However, in modern use, both words may carry a shadow of the right connotations of obsessive interest and/or social ineptitude; see the geek and nerd pages for details. Think of the older, more pejorative senses of geek and you're on the right track. The British term anorak and the American term wonk are also close translations, and in more dickish corners of The Internet, autism-related terms like aspie get slung around in a similar manner. The closest troper-speak cognate would be "Loony Fan." In Japan, the term Otaku does not carry a positive meaning, at all. One of the first things most Japanese language classes often have to teach people is that calling yourself an Otaku in Japan is a very bad thing.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2015-01-24 at 07:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by akaihiryuu View Post
    it's kind of funny. The word "otaku" in japanese has very negative connotations. It's used to describe someone who is obsessed with something in such an unhealthy way that they need professional help. Don't call someone an otaku in japan unless you want to insult them. I like anime, but i don't call myself an otaku for that reason. I've studied a little bit of japanese and that's something i learned very early on. I just say i like anime lol.

This excerpt from tvtropes describes it:
    ahahahahaha that was so funneh.