10+ Year Old Account

Self destructing book

Greetings everyone.

As some of you are wondering what i'm on about, I've recently come across something that looks interesting and i want to share it with you guys and to hear your thoughts on the idea of it.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/21/s...tructing-book/
    Nobody likes you, everyone left you, they're all out without you havin fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really see the appeal of a book that gives you 24 hours to read it. How much of the story are you actually following, or do you swiftly read it in fear of never being able to again? Guess it's for people with a good memory only, e.g. not me

A gift for someone who has everything maybe.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Seems like a publicity stunt.

I wouldn't mind taking the challenge if I was less busy and had a quieter house.

As long as it's under 700 pages, I think I should be able to do it. Bring it :]

Deleted
    a really good book doesn't need such a device to keep you reading. The "one more page" effect will take care of that.
    Personally, I devour good books in half a day.

Deleted
    The idea of a self destructing book is very silly.. but it actually looks like a cool concept/publicity stunt given that i guess that's part of the theme of the book (passing/stealing time?) Everyone who gets a book is publicized on the website along with their progress (tracked electronically by the ebook) and other people can "sabotage time" and make it even shorter by them, so it's a sort of game - someones reading skills vs the general public watching and trying to make them fail. Interesting/unique game for a book promo anyway!

I could easily read a book in 24 hours. I actually like James Patterson so I'm tempted to try and get a code.. looks like they're releasing them in free batches every day.

Here's the direct link to the "game", if anyone wants to sabotage people or try for a code. The main downside is it's all done through facebook connect.

But then I can't read it again ...?

Advertisment was quite high quality though, I mean a flooded cellar set is not cheap..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    a really good book doesn't need such a device to keep you reading. The "one more page" effect will take care of that.
    Personally, I devour good books in half a day.
    The 'one more page' effect keeps me up at night....makes me angry at said book and i burn after reading in reteibution, all 451'degrees(joking ofc)

A limited time to read a book though? Hell no.
    What if i want to read it again picking it up to read again months later, or loan it, or...or...

A book should be read in a short time on ots own merits, very very few books do i not finish reading, ones i dont like usually take weeks as i drag myself through the story, ones i love like queens blade i will read the whole series in one sitting(curse of insomnia plus 'one more page'...i hate the one more page...keeps me awake longer)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

So, Mission Impossible?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance