Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Glyph Of Power Word: Shield

A few of our Major Glyph's are Flexible, the one I wanted to ask about today was the Glyph of Power Word: Shield " 20% of the absorb from your Power Word: Shield spell is converted into healing, I see a lot of the high logging/ Top raiders using this glyph, and I was wondering if someone could brainstorm possible reasons as to why, is it because of the heal having a chance to give Divine aegis or ? is there other reasoning behind it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewizzard3000 View Post
    A few of our Major Glyph's are Flexible, the one I wanted to ask about today was the Glyph of Power Word: Shield " 20% of the absorb from your Power Word: Shield spell is converted into healing, I see a lot of the high logging/ Top raiders using this glyph, and I was wondering if someone could brainstorm possible reasons as to why, is it because of the heal having a chance to give Divine aegis or ? is there other reasoning behind it.
    Is it really disco priests that use it? Since its shared with Glyph of weakened souls i thought only holy would use it.

Deleted
    PW:S alone won't procc Twist of Fate but the healing from the glyph does procc it. I could only imagine this as the reason behind using the glyph as Disc. I personally would never use it. My go-to PW:S-related glyh is Weakened Soul.

As Holy the glyph proccs EoL and can refresh Renew in Chakra: Serenity iirc.

Main reason is to easily proc ToF.
    I usually take the glyph when I spec into the talent, when I don't then I go with weakened soul.

It's not that the glyph is useless out of ToF, but arguably then what you healed with the glyph you could've preshielded with fatter PW: S.

Glyph of Power Word: Shield is(or rather, should only be) run by holy priests, for three reasons:

1) To refresh Renew in Serenity Chakra
    2) To proc ToF(more of a side benefit really)
    3) Is an actual slight throughput gain because the healing component procs EoL

Disc priests should never ever touch this glyph though, you NEVER want weaker shields at any point as one. ToF is also largely useless on disc as well.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Yeah, ToF doesn't work with shields. As Pos said, the glyph is useless as disc

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Glyph of Power Word: Shield is(or rather, should only be) run by holy priests, for three reasons:

Disc priests should never ever touch this glyph though, you NEVER want weaker shields at any point as one. ToF is also largely useless on disc as well.
    Don't forget that glyph also makes Power Word: Shield lower the cooldown of Circle of Healing in blue chakra!

Quote Originally Posted by Archpriest View Post
    Don't forget that glyph also makes Power Word: Shield lower the cooldown of Circle of Healing in blue chakra!
    those discs are dumb. ToF doesn't work on absorbs, glyphing and nerfing 20% absorbs to not boost your absorbs? seems like a legit strat...
    it's good for holy though apparently so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post

I've ran this glyph before and then swapped back to weakened soul glyph soon after. I'm not a huge fan of it, but in very very rare cases where you absorbs would just be overhealing, taking the 20% heal is a nice way to supplement someone's health. Other than that, I agree, it's useless.

Quote Originally Posted by kouby View Post
    those discs are dumb. ToF doesn't work on absorbs, glyphing and nerfing 20% absorbs to not boost your absorbs? seems like a legit strat...
    it's good for holy though apparently so there's that.
    ToF does work on absrobs, just not on PWS and COW. DA benefits from it quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by maizensh View Post
    ToF does work on absrobs, just not on PWS and COW. DA benefits from it quite well.
    That's because DA scales directly on your base heal, which is in turn affected by ToF, which is a totally different system you are talking about here.

ToF doesn't work with DA itself.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

i recently changed to this glyph as disc after i started raiding and finially gave up on trying to make atonement live on. its always in my top 4 heals(PW:S, clarity of will, glyph of PW:S, penance...usually in that order) and im 98% of the time our top healer. i was thinking of taking it off to see what my heals are like without it but as of now it seems to be working pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Ariiya View Post
    i recently changed to this glyph as disc after i started raiding and finially gave up on trying to make atonement live on. its always in my top 4 heals(PW:S, clarity of will, glyph of PW:S, penance...usually in that order) and im 98% of the time our top healer. i was thinking of taking it off to see what my heals are like without it but as of now it seems to be working pretty good
    Topping meters in raid has no bearing on whether your glyphs are correct.

The thing is, theoretically your healing shouldn't change as long as your absorbs are being fully utilized and not shoved into over healing. As a disc priest there is no reason to give up 20% of your absorb to become a heal even if a target needs a little bit of a heal to get them up.

Take this as an example.

A raid member is about to take a big hit and is at 100k/300k health. You cast your glyphed PW:S and your absorb hits for 80k and you do a 20k heal from it. Effectively you have "healed" the target for 100k but only 80k of that is an absorb. Now that target is going to take 100k damage from the next tick. Their actual health is at 120k (assuming no other heals) with an 80k shield on. When they take the damage they are back at 100k health. Now from this example we can see no difference between glyphed and non glyphed PW:S.

Lets use another example on a boss that reduces healing effects ie Ko'Ragh.

A raid member has stepped into the center during vulnerability on accident and is at 50k/300k health. You immediately cast a PW:S on that target creating an absorb on them for 80k but your healing is reduced by 90% so the 20k of heals that you would do is reduced by 90% resulting in only a 2k heal on that person. The raid member then takes 130k damage and dies. If you had not taken the glyph the target would have survived with 20k/300K health.

Does that make a bit more sense?
    Last edited by Djriff; 2015-01-23 at 07:46 PM.

Deleted
    The only reason it seems to be working pretty good is because of how strong PW:S is. Comparing it to our other heals (which ain't exactly setting the world on fire) is a touch incorrect. Non-glyped PW:S should do more than glyphed PW:S + Glyph of PW:S!

Glyph of PW:S also makes your pre-emptive shields for dealing with Quake, Branded, Necrotic Breath, Cleaves and so on much worse.

Skilled Disc Priests, such as myself in the top ranking. Use Powershield not only as a perventive tool, I.E. pre stacking before a large damage event. We also put PW:S on players who have taken a considerable amount of damage to allow direct healers time to top them back up, without fear of oh god hes gonna die I gotta heal ASAP. So with Glyph of PW:S when we are popping PW:S on players to prevent death were also healing them alittle aswell. But PW;S glyph is situational. I often change glyphs based on the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by hellspawnxx View Post
    Skilled Disc Priests, such as myself in the top ranking. Use Powershield not only as a perventive tool, I.E. pre stacking before a large damage event. We also put PW:S on players who have taken a considerable amount of damage to allow direct healers time to top them back up, without fear of oh god hes gonna die I gotta heal ASAP. So with Glyph of PW:S when we are popping PW:S on players to prevent death were also healing them alittle aswell. But PW;S glyph is situational. I often change glyphs based on the fight.
    Lol, or you could just give them a bigger EHP buffer. Which fights are the top ranking Disc Priests even using the Glyph on?

Quote Originally Posted by ceddya View Post
    Lol, or you could just give them a bigger EHP buffer. Which fights are the top ranking Disc Priests even using the Glyph on?
    it has been used on in all the fights and i use it myslef and its my 2nd best hps behind pws.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    it has been used on in all the fights and i use it myslef and its my 2nd best hps behind pws.
    well that doesn't really mean anything since the glyph IS PWS. It's not like it's adding anything, it's just making your shield smaller and replacing it with the heal

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    You should have no issues linking logs then.