Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Brand Names vs Generic

What's your purchasing routine? Do you NEED to get brand names or are you more thrifty? Maybe brand names for certain things?

I tend to go for brand names, but I really have no problem with a store brand or a "lesser" brand for most things.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Deleted
    Sometimes I find the generic brands to be superior, depends entirely on the product though.

Stood in the Fire n7stormreaver's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I usually pick what am i accustomed for (after trying many different kinds of that thing) but when i'm picking something for the first time i'm going for a brand i've ever heard anything about.
    Space magic.

My wife and I are usually fine going generic, but there are particular items where we go for brand name.

Deleted
    Since I'm eating a lot it's generally generic or store brand, the exceptions to that is meat and dairy.

Things like rice, potatoes, shakes, veg is store bought.

Truth be told I can't tell the difference between most of the stuff that's store v brand.

I expected this thread to be about prescription medication.

Store brand items are just fine for 90% of the stuff I buy, there are exceptions, generally where a store brand doesn't meet my desired quality. Though, my local grocery store (Hannaford's) has a higher end store brand that they put out as well that frequently exceeds the quality of brand name equivalents.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I generally buy brand names. It's important to me that the other people in Walmart I'm not poor like them and don't belong there.
    I pretty much refuse to shop at the dollar store. I order socks online at Walmart.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Generic. In some cases, the generic is the EXACT same product in different packaging just to sell it. Find out which products those are and start buying them. This is especially true for pharmaceuticals, as even the filler ingredients are the exact same. You're paying a 1000% mark up for name brand pharmaceuticals for what's the exact same thing.

For food the name brand can be vastly different than the generic, and in those cases it comes down to taste.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Only peasants eat generic

Deleted
    generic for everything except condoms

Deleted
    If it's something that needs to last I go with a brand because I can confirm its reputation. If not I'm not really fussed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some things it's either brand or go home (Cola for instance), others I really don't care, just whatever is nicest/cheapest.

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great Value Walmart Brand or go home.
    Except for meats, I have to get that somewhere else.

I buy the most expensive one I can find because it has to be the best.

Not buying much either tbh. If it comes down to it I usually go by taste. If it's one of the fake generics by brands, which they sell because their producut is worth bugger all to begin with and they make more profit by suppling in the guise of generic, then obviously generic though.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the product. For pain relievers, I go generic. Food stuffs, I usually go brand name, just because I've been burned by food generics too many times.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I pretty much refuse to shop at the dollar store. I order socks online at Walmart.
    See, that's why you guys won't be filthy rich..
    Genuine rich people, the ones that actually worked hard for it, and made the money themselves, they shop/buy anywhere they can safe a couple cent.
    I've seen every farmer that I know for a fact is a millionaire, in our towns Dollar General, shopping there, much like pretty much everyone else..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    What's your purchasing routine? Do you NEED to get brand names or are you more thrifty? Maybe brand names for certain things?

I tend to go for brand names, but I really have no problem with a store brand or a "lesser" brand for most things.
    Depends on the product. There are some store brands I like better than the name brands.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It depends on the product. For pain relievers, I go generic. Food stuffs, I usually go brand name, just because I've been burned by food generics too many times.
    Investigation is a key..
    Check which brand does generic packing too..
    That generic stuff is often the exact same product, that stand right next to it. With 2 differences, another box, a higher price.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Depends on the product. There are some store brands I like better than the name brands.
    This, pretty much. If I'm feeling like a Coke, I buy a Coke, not a generic. I can taste the difference

For most things, there isn't much difference.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.