Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

E-cigs not as safe as people thought?

https://www.yahoo.com/health/hidden-...828992747.html

Is this true? If so it's not looking good for E-cigs.

If that's the study I'm thinking of, it was cooked, if not outright fraudulent. They compared worst case e-cigs to best-case cigarettes.

I'll add that an apple will produce 25-50 mg of methanol in your gut when eaten, and most of that is absorbed into your body and metabolized to formaldehyde. So if you're concerned about exposure to traces of formaldehyde, you should avoid eating any fruit or other plant materials containing methylated pectin.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2015-01-22 at 04:46 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

im going to need some better tests before I agree or disagree with them. their study is a joke.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/health/hidden-...828992747.html

Is this true? If so it's not looking good for E-cigs.
    I guess we'll find out when other scientists try to replicate the results. Doesn't necessarily mean that it's not something the E-Cig makers can fix.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Alternatively don't smoke period....

I'd heard a while ago that the problem was people using them improperly, getting too much liquid on the heating elements which cause formaldehyde to form.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to know brands. Because there's a buttload of different "commercial" liquids available, and if they're buying some shitty chinese liquid, I wouldn't be surprised.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Everything causes cancer nowadays. I wouldn't be shocked if my washing machine gave off some sort cancer causing thing.
    Screen monitor?

Cancer.

Microwave?

Cancer.

TV?

Oh you bet your stars that's cancer.

Walking down the street on a sunny day?

Terminal cancer.

...But I don't smoke at all, not even that vaping shit that's started to really catch on in Cambridge.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...vapor-28386398

ABCnews was the only news source on the first page of google that fucking had a proper title that clearly says "in some"

I'm no fan of Mencken, but seems his quote about puritanism ("the haunting fear that someone, somewhere is having a good time") applies really well to the pleasure police of the 21st century in the form of the nanny state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Smoking random Chemicals?

Cancer.

No real surprise

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Screen monitor?

Cancer.

Microwave?

Cancer.

TV?

Oh you bet your stars that's cancer.

Walking down the street on a sunny day?

Terminal cancer.

...But I don't smoke at all, not even that vaping shit that's started to really catch on in Cambridge.
    Those damn Cambridge hipsters

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    I'm no fan of Mencken, but seems his quote about puritanism ("the haunting fear that someone, somewhere is having a good time") applies really well to the pleasure police of the 21st century in the form of the nanny state.
    And this addresses the chemicals in e-cigs how? Put the political talking points aside for a moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the fundamental issue with E-cigs is that people confuse "safer" with "safe" ALLLLLLLLLL the time.

For instance it is safer to go out in the sun with sunscreen on. But is it safe? Nooooope.

I'm sure they will find E-cigs will cause all sorts of issues, especially with long term exposure. I'm also sure they will find it to be safer than smoking a cigarette.

They also seemed to leave out that it was only an issue when the temperature was able to be turned up to high which some manufactures allow.

When not on high the amount of Formaldehyde was undetectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    And this addresses the chemicals in e-cigs how? Put the political talking points aside for a moment.
    The implication was that the motivation to ban e-cigs wasn't to protect public health, but rather because e-cigs violate a puritanical bias on what the proper solution "should" be (abstinence from smoking).

E-cigs are pretty obviously a boon for public health, compared to ordinary smoking.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    What makes me wonder is, the study has this image ( http://www.nejm.org/action/showImage...413069&iid=f01 )
    Which shows that the "formaldehyde-releasing agent [FRA]" are released at super high rates when the e-cig is operated at high voltage, but almost non-existent at low voltage, do e-cigs have some sort of switch to change the voltage?
    Another fun little thing about the study is that they say that the e-cigs give off "formaldehyde-releasing agent [FRA]", but that the effects of these FRA on the body are unknown....cool story.

Headline is a lie.

it wasn't high levels of formaldehyde found. it was high levels of hemiacetal compounds,

So I had to go and use my genius powers to do some organic chemistry research and found that hemiacetal compounds could become formaldehyde under the right circumstances, those circumstances being exposed to alcohol in an acidic environment. So unless your lungs are full of alcohol and acid the study is bullshit.

Deleted
    inb4 all the conspiracy theorists...

Seriously, is this actually a surprise to anybody?

A completely unregulated, cheap chinese import that's designed to vapourise a fluid and release it into your lungs is a risk to your health. OMG.
    Have you ever seen the side of one of the refill bottle/packages?
    It's just as well that smoking those things makes you look like a complete douche, because you'd need to be a fucking idiot to use them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The implication was that the motivation to ban e-cigs wasn't to protect public health, but rather because e-cigs violate a puritanical bias on what the proper solution "should" be (abstinence from smoking).

E-cigs are pretty obviously a boon for public health, compared to ordinary smoking.
    They are much preferred. But not entirely safe like some, but not all, people will say.