Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Question 5-Man Mentality - DPS Pulling

Something I've noticed over the past 6 months or so is that it seems to have become the norm for DPS classes to do all the pulling in 5 man content, even when asked not to. When did this paradigm shift happen? I'm seeing it creep into LFR now too.

Granted I've been playing tank classes for over 10 years so I'm admittedly jaded and set in my ways, but when I do the pulling it's controlled and coordinated. When the DPS do the pulling it takes me twice the amount of effort to get the pull organised.

I had a hunter last night in HC Everbloom just pulling everything in sight. Noone died, and I guess you could argue the run was probably quicker, but it was a frustrating mess when it didn't have to be.

Fellow tanks, do you have a problem with the DPS doing the pulling or are you just "meh" and mop up after them?
    ----------------------------------------
    1999 - 2001: Ultima Online
    2001 - 2004: Dark Age of Camelot
    2004 - Today: World of Warcraft
    *** 19 years of MMO gaming ***

It happens when people overgear the contents. They realize that they can just pull everything and get away with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    It happens when people overgear the contents. They realize that they can just pull everything and get away with it.
    Yes, to a degree. But mostly it happens when tanks are pulling far too slowly.

When true threat was removed after BC. Seriously though, it sucks as a tank to have to grab stray aggro mobs due to dps pulling and spreading them out. Granted, mobs aren't as lethal as they used to be, dps can take a shot or two.

As a tank if I get really annoyed I just let them die. But typically if the DPS is decent I really don't care, it adds spice to the mundane task of running heroics anyways.

As a DPS I pull if I trust the tank or the healer, and most people, at least in my experience, don't mind the instance moving faster.

Because when I'm sitting at 677 ilvl and the tank is like cc everything.... Like lol's?

This happens when you're doing trivial content and someone is trying to do something "controlled and coordinated" when its largely unnecessary.

I tend to have more patience than others when I go into a random dungeon, but if it takes the tank 2 minutes of mental prep between pulls, I get impatient.

So basically the shift in mentality happened when the shift in game design happened where you no longer needed coordination because they designed it that way.

Nobody wants to be in the dungeon. The goal is to move quickly and get out as fast as possible. So if the tank is moving slowly, I'm gonna pull things. If I'm on my tank, I chain pull until the healer has no mana.

Mobs aren't lethal and threat is a non-issue. You're only issue then is the patience of other players, which is generally irrelevant in LFG.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Never had this issue. I can only account to the fact your pulling too slowly. What is there to "control and coordinate" in a pull? No one is CC'ing because currently the dungeons are dead easy, and mobs dont take any tricky pathing, so that is the only thing I can think of.

Deleted
    You've playing tank for over 10 years and you think this started like 6 months ago? Happens always once you overgear the content. Once might say this started in WotLK. If the tank is slow then I pull, no matter whether I'm there as dps or healer. If I'm there as a tank, I try to pull as fast as group can handle, and if dps pulls even faster I don't mind, either we can handle it, which will result in faster run, or we wipe and kick that particular dps (rarely happens).

Quote Originally Posted by Dalien View Post
    When did this paradigm shift happen?
    Around the time multiple different DPS classes could direct their threat onto the tank probably.

It is pretty rude, but sometimes the speed at which tanks pull is also bordering on rude. I never pull on my dps, but if a tank is a butt hurt egomaniac that loves to pull slowly just because he can and to spite 4 other people, I will pull the shit out of him.

Doesn't bother me. Just comes with the tanking job. If you find it happening often, then it probably means you don't pull quick enough. Maybe the problem is with you and not with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Yes, to a degree. But mostly it happens when tanks are pulling far too slowly.
    See that I could understand if I was dicking about between each pull, but I love to pull large and keep up the momentum :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalien View Post
    Something I've noticed over the past 6 months or so is that it seems to have become the norm for DPS classes to do all the pulling in 5 man content, even when asked not to. When did this paradigm shift happen? I'm seeing it creep into LFR now too.

Granted I've been playing tank classes for over 10 years so I'm admittedly jaded and set in my ways, but when I do the pulling it's controlled and coordinated. When the DPS do the pulling it takes me twice the amount of effort to get the pull organised.

I had a hunter last night in HC Everbloom just pulling everything in sight. Noone died, and I guess you could argue the run was probably quicker, but it was a frustrating mess when it didn't have to be.

Fellow tanks, do you have a problem with the DPS doing the pulling or are you just "meh" and mop up after them?
    10 years? when I play tank I see it as a challenge to pull as fast as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is a crazy thought, hear me out on this. People need gear because they are newly dinged 100s. Mind blowing I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    10 years? when I play tank I see it as a challenge to pull as fast as possible.
    I always joke with our healer... "I'll try and kill us, you try and stop me".

Done it as long as I can remember, but only if I think I can handle all of what I'm pulling for atleast 20 secs without any help.

If you're a slow tank, and I'm the healer in the group and have a good amount of mana, I'd rather have DPS pull.

I've had tanks that will stand there for a good 10 seconds between pulls for whatever reason and the healer's mana bar is full. It's why I like playing my hunter, can just MD to the tank so we can keep going.