So i want to try a mage for pve, rbgs and arenas.

Fire's playstyle appeals to me and i want to try it but i also i want to be optimal and practice. Which specs are more successful in pvp? What about soloing old raids? Also what set up has the best self heals or is there a lack of?

Fire is viable in pvp. Not as good as Frost I would say (as always) but it's good and you'll have fun when you learned the class and do some random bgs

Frost is superior in pvp.

Mage is probably the worst class when it comes to soloing old raids, but it's duable.

I personally (alot of people disagree) don't think Mages have a lack of self heals, I mean you're a mage, you are not suppose to heal. But use Amplify Magic + Ice Block (With Glyph of Regenerative Ice) gives you a pretty good heal, and let's not forget Cold Snap. Combo with these and I get almost full hp in Arenas. And you can aswell glyph Spellsteal to heal you a bit.

Oh and Fire gets a slow glyph on ignited players something in 6.1 Will be damn good in pvp!

Deleted
    Frost will most likely always be best for PvP, while Fire can be fun to toy around with in BGs in actual rated PvP Fire is completely countered by any class with an offensive dispel.

Mage is probably the worst class for soloing raids as a Mage's survival depends on their ability to kite, and all raid bosses are immune to being slowed or rooted so... You can take aggro with your water elemental and your Mirror Images though, as far as healing goes you can Glyph Spellsteal for a 4% heal when you spellsteal a buff, Glyph Ice Block to heal you for 40% of your health if you sit in Ice Block for the full 10 seconds and there's always Bandages or Health Potions

Various PvP changes are inc for Mage in 6.1. For Frost Deep Freeze will only break on Ice Lance instead of breaking from anything, Frostbolt (with the 4 pc pvp set) will deal +50% increased damage VS slowed targets and Fire will get a slow in the form of Ignite applying a 40% snare to targets.