Power Strikes ?!

im checking some logs and i see ppl are using power strikes now, is it just for single target figths or it works for AOE too like tectus ? if someone knows why ppl are using would be extremely helpful. i mean why ascencion isnt the best choice anymore and stuff ..

Might help if you mentioned the spec.

I know nothing about MW, and WW doesn't/shouldn't use it, but iirc it is a thing with CX brewmaster?
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2015-01-22 at 09:22 PM.

Brewmaster , sorry

I've been using Power Strikes for a month or two now. It's a nice way to start you're opener with essentially 8 chi if you play it right. You can spam Expel Harm to have 4 chi before the pull and if you time it right you can Keg Smash and Jab for another 4 chi. Definitely makes sure you can grab aggro in case someone bursts for ungodly amounts of damage. I also like being able to generate that extra chi with a Jab or Expel Harm in an "oh shit" situation for a Guard if need be.

I like how it plays and it fits my style pretty well. Having a guaranteed extra chi every 15 seconds is a nice thing I can count on.

Deleted
    Hello, i believe that the sticky Brewmaster's guide is still up to date and provides the information you are looking for:

Level 45: This is the chi tier. In terms of raw math, Power Strikes will provide you with more chi than Chi Brew will. 1 extra chi every 45 seconds, to be precise. However, getting it does sacrifice the flexibility of picking when you get that chi as well as the benefit of getting some Elusive Brew stacks. Of course, the overall difference is actually not that much. Ascension is more reliant on your haste rating to provide chi, but it's real benefit is the extra slot for more chi, which allows you to have a greater stockpile of the stuff. However, that benefit is somewhat eclipsed right now due to the fact that our energy regen is severely limited. Because chi is far more valued this expansion, you're going to want to ensure that you have a healthy income of it. Unfortunately, Ascension does not allow for such. To sum everything up, go with with Power Strikes for more chi (preferable for fights where you need to purify more), Chi Brew for more Elusive Brew stacks (preferable for fights where you need to avoid more attacks rather than soak them), and Ascension if you cannot pull off the basic priority and survive.
    For my part, I'm using Chi Brew because I like to have "chi-on-demand" for "oh shit!" moments as I'm terrible at managing Chi/Energy (I tend to blast everything as soon as i can)... and ChiBrew makes up with this.

Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    I know nothing about MW, and WW doesn't/shouldn't use it, but iirc it is a thing with CX brewmaster?
    Can someone explain me exactly why WW shouldn't use Power Strikes? Been looking for an answer to this question for a few days now and i can't find any detailed answers.
    Why is Power Strikes a good talent for Brewmaster but not for Windwalker? What's the reason for this?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiik View Post
    Can someone explain me exactly why WW shouldn't use Power Strikes? Been looking for an answer to this question for a few days now and i can't find any detailed answers.
    Why is Power Strikes a good talent for Brewmaster but not for Windwalker? What's the reason for this?

Thanks in advance.
    Because a jab in tiger stance produces 2 chi. If one were looking for pure chi generation, ascension is twice as powerful for WW as it is for BrM and MW because WW converts energy to chi twice as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    Because a jab in tiger stance produces 2 chi. If one were looking for pure chi generation, ascension is twice as powerful for WW as it is for BrM and MW because WW converts energy to chi twice as fast.
    Worth noting that MW Ascension doesn't actually increase Chi generation at all: It's a max mana & chi increase only.

Quote Originally Posted by Comett View Post
    Hello, i believe that the sticky Brewmaster's guide is still up to date and provides the information you are looking for:
    In terms of raw math, Power Strikes will provide you with more chi than Chi Brew will. 1 extra chi every 45 seconds, to be precise.
    This seems to be putting Chi Brew in a stronger position than it should. Power Strikes is 1 chi every 15 seconds and Chi Brew is 2 chi every minute. (The extra charge gets amortized.) So Power Strikes has twice the chi generation of Chi Brew; that's 1 extra chi every *15* seconds. Maybe I am missing something?

That being said, I only switched to Power Strikes when I switched to 2H with the 2H buff.

Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    Thanks a lot. Exactly the answer i've been looking for but i feel a little stupid now for not realising this.

The math is really quite simple for Brewmasters. You've got 10 energy/sec base, and probably won't have more than 20% haste unless you REALLY love haste. So consider the best case option you really like haste so you regenerate 12 energy/sec. Ascension will give you 15% more than that or an extra 1.8 energy/second. Keg Smash is used on cooldown with any talent choice here so that extra energy is going to be spent on more jabs, generating one extra jab every 40/1.8=22.2 seconds. One chi every 22 seconds means 2.7 chi per minute. When used on cooldown Power Strikes give you 4 chi per minute. For ascension to have parity with power strikes you would need around 78% haste, which isn't ever realistically available outside of lust or fight mechanics. Chi Brew is worth using because it gives you some extra Elusive Brews and it's 2 chi exactly when you need it, which can have more value that is harder to evaluate with pure numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sincevanilla View Post
    im checking some logs and i see ppl are using power strikes now, is it just for single target figths or it works for AOE too like tectus ? if someone knows why ppl are using would be extremely helpful. i mean why ascencion isnt the best choice anymore and stuff ..
    Use whichever you want. Chi Brew is nice for the instant guard + elusive brew, but it does provide less chi than power strikes, and requires the use of a keybind. Power strikes can cause some irritating interactions with ChiEx though, and the orbs on the ground can be hard to spot in the heat of the moment.

Ascension is garbage for BRM and should never be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by muus View Post
    This seems to be putting Chi Brew in a stronger position than it should. Power Strikes is 1 chi every 15 seconds and Chi Brew is 2 chi every minute. (The extra charge gets amortized.) So Power Strikes has twice the chi generation of Chi Brew; that's 1 extra chi every *15* seconds. Maybe I am missing something?
    Looks like that change slipped past somehow. Editing the guide.

Deleted
    as someone stated earlier. Powerstrike, when used right, is Godly. Getting 4 chi real fast when you time it right is awesome. But no matter what talent you choose, it's all about learning to manage your chi. I was terrible att his but after MANY wipes on mythic, I learned to optimize as much as I could for my personal level.

Deleted
    Well, there is a another use of Chi Brew, apparently everyone is missing.
    Chi Brew is the only way for BrM to generate Chi outside of melee range.

In PvP that is invaluable when kited, enabling you to pop Guard. And Elusive stacks against hunters.
    Not to mention that it also triggers Healing Elixirs, if you spec into it.

But yeah, the lower Chi throughput and the extra button is somewhat unpleasant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bladebarrier View Post
    Well, there is a another use of Chi Brew, apparently everyone is missing.
    Chi Brew is the only way for BrM to generate Chi outside of melee range.

In PvP that is invaluable when kited, enabling you to pop Guard. And Elusive stacks against hunters.
    Not to mention that it also triggers Healing Elixirs, if you spec into it.

But yeah, the lower Chi throughput and the extra button is somewhat unpleasant.
    Expel Harm?

Also don't think OP was talking about PvP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayuki View Post
    Expel Harm?

Also don't think OP was talking about PvP
    True, forgot about that.
    Still, Healing elixirs is very strong self heal.

For PvE there is really no reason not to pick Power Strikes.

One of the posts up here stated that Power Strikes can cause some irritating interaction with ChiEx.
    Can i ask what is that?

Deleted
    Getting 4 chi explosions when you were aiming for 3

I honestly don't get how people have the keybind space for stuff like Chi Brew.

I have 1-10, -, +, EGZQFVXBNTYH, Shift1 - Shift5, Ctrl1 - Ctrl5 already bound to stuff, and it's definitely not enough hotkeys. Stuff like trinket /use, healing tonic, and armor potions are bound to Shift + 6 or higher, and I usually just end up clicking on them when needed because you can't hit shift + 6 or higher with one hand. Alt + numbers is similarly awkward to press with one hand, so I don't use that keybind combo.

Power Strikes is twice as efective at chi generation that Chi Brew, and therefore has value for BrM running ChEx who might otherwise stuggle to get enough chi for guards.
    I suspect that excerpt from the guide was written back when Chi Brew had a 45s CD, rather than the current 1 min.
    BreweRyge: Adds a resource meter for Brewmaster brews, as if they were on a rage- or energy-type system.
    Hidden Artifact Tracker: Adds your progress on unlocking the extra tints for your hidden artifact appearance to the item tooltip.