Page 1 of 2
LastLast

It is now 3 minutes to midnight.

http://thebulletin.org/three-minutes-and-counting7938

The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists have moved the Doomsday Clock up 2 minutes to 3 minutes to midnight from what they see as failure of nation's leaders to address several issues, including climate change, proper disposal of waste from and proper upkeep of nuclear energy sites, lack disarmament of nuclear weapons, and technological threats, and the lack of time to face and solve these issues.

This is not the closest the clock has gone to midnight. That was back in 1953 when the U.S. and the Soviet Union tested thermonuclear weapons within nine months of each other which then lasted until 1960.

More info on the clock from Wikipedia, in the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock

An arbitrary scale that means nothing has been changed to fearmonger?

I care so deeply.

I saw this earlier and almost made a thread asking the question: why does anyone give a shit what this metaphorical clock says?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Bu-but climate change isnt real
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    http://thebulletin.org/three-minutes-and-counting7938

The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists have moved the Doomsday Clock up 2 minutes to 3 minutes to midnight from what they see as failure of nation's leaders to address several issues, including climate change, proper disposal of waste from and proper upkeep of nuclear energy sites, lack disarmament of nuclear weapons, and technological threats, and the lack of time to face and solve these issues.

This is not the closest the clock has gone to midnight. That was back in 1953 when the U.S. and the Soviet Union tested thermonuclear weapons within nine months of each other.

More info on the clock from Wikipedia, in the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock
    With the reduction in warheads and yeilds, isn't that clock more like the Badday Clock than the Doomsday clock? I really don't see this group as all that relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was reading about this last night, when they were going to meet.

On one hand, it doesn't mean much, in theory. On the other hand, this is a group of brilliant people, and certainly signifies something. Something bad.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I can't help but feel that this is a bit misleading

10+ Year Old Account
    Arbitrary numbers are arbitrary.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

On one hand, it doesn't mean much, in theory. On the other hand, this is a group of brilliant people, and certainly signifies something. Something bad
    I feel the same way

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

On one hand, it doesn't mean much, in theory. On the other hand, this is a group of brilliant people, and certainly signifies something. Something bad.
    These people are brilliant physicists, not brilliant statesmen or geo-politics experts. The clock is their way of expressing concern about the potential disaster that awaits misuse of nuclear power. As such it probably shouldn't be ignored, but it isn't anything to get too scared about either.

Oh, and if they don't move the clock every few years then the news won't have a story and everyone will forget they exist.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
    Hah, as if I'll shout anything to you expect "Please notice me!" which you will still say "no" to.

But anyway...I can't find much to be worried about honestly personally, but maybe I just don't care much.

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds", verse 32 from chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita.
    I love this quote.

Deleted
    It's 2 AM here. I don't understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stalin View Post
    It's 2 AM here. I don't understand.
    You dun it this time awesome mustache man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

If this isnt the closest its been to midnight then the clock has gone backwards and if they have the ability to go back in time they should be able to go back and fix this shit.

Stupid story -> stupid response

Deleted
    The doomsday clock was always a fairly significant symbolic representation of the scientific community's concerns about impending nuclear disaster. Expanding its scope to include climate change isn't what I'd have done, but to dismiss it offhand is pretty fucking ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    These people are brilliant physicists, not brilliant statesmen or geo-politics experts. The clock is their way of expressing concern about the potential disaster that awaits misuse of nuclear power. As such it probably shouldn't be ignored, but it isn't anything to get too scared about either.

Oh, and if they don't move the clock every few years then the news won't have a story and everyone will forget they exist.

I disagree completely. They can be 'brilliant' physicists or some bum on the street for all I care. Fear mongering rhetoric like this should be disregarded regardless of who's saying it. You can express concern in ways that aren't an attempt at sending the masses into a panic.

Shouldn't we have all died when daylight saving's came around then?