Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    For the price, its a great build, but I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else because nobody is going to just have an OS, HDD, SSD, and optical drive just laying around. It's not really indicative of 'you can do this too' but it's certainly a good build.
    Well I bought 1TB HDD 6 years ago and since then it went through 3 different setups. Same with optical drive, case, and power supply. Those part doesn't degrade like the other ones (even other parts are changed because of performance and not because they're broken). So it leaves only MB, CPU, GPU and maybe some RAM to upgrade. Oh and OS? well... yarr!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raamm View Post
    Wow is like a decade old you don't need that much for ultra raid you need like 600 at most probably. The magic behind electronics is they get better and cheaper all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I'm pretty sure if you really want to be the cheapest person on earth and you're semi resourceful you could run wow on a server set ups and just chain like 10 of these together http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/.
    WoW was originally released 10 years ago but the games graphics has been updated several times over now. Is WoW as good as current games? No but then wow has never really been that game.

As for the OP... I would never recommend anyone pay more than 1kish(not including monitor, speakers, mouse, etc). The reason is that is the around the price range where price for performance goes through the roof. Some people seem to like blowing money but personally I would rather spend 1k on a system today and then spend 1k on another new system a year from now then pay 2k for a system today. That way I have a 1k system that is really good and a 1k system that is just as good as the other guys 2k system but took me longer to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
    WoW was originally released 10 years ago but the games graphics has been updated several times over now. Is WoW as good as current games? No but then wow has never really been that game.

As for the OP... I would never recommend anyone pay more than 1kish(not including monitor, speakers, mouse, etc). The reason is that is the around the price range where price for performance goes through the roof. Some people seem to like blowing money but personally I would rather spend 1k on a system today and then spend 1k on another new system a year from now then pay 2k for a system today. That way I have a 1k system that is really good and a 1k system that is just as good as the other guys 2k system but took me longer to get.
    Good components retain resale value.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
    snip
    Not really no, not every year at least. Below 1k you're almost there but not quite. I would say that, would be better within the 1200-1400$ range every 2.5-3years and that would be mostly a gpu upgrade than a cpu one atm. So that way its more cost effective and you will always have better gear.

edit: To make it even better i would say a top end cpu every 4-5years, gpu every 3 or so and peripherals in between the gpu/cpu upgrades.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-03-02 at 02:58 PM.

Deleted
    With the latest graphical updates to WoW, when I turned mine onto the highest settings (include the highest MSAA and AA and such) it started lagging to shit (20-30 FPS).
    I have an i5-2500k @4ghz, 8gb ram and a r9 290. So I'm not so sure anymore.

7+ Year Old Account
    I spent $1600 on a rig for WoD.

Have had 150fps in 25 man raids all the way through until this new patch whilst recording with Shadowplay also, since 6.1 now i'm getting tearing and lags all over the place even in areas where i have 250 fps previously.

The nVidia "experience" settings tells me to optimise it, before 6.1 it worked great, since 6.1 it keeps choosing settings which look like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybr1d View Post
    With the latest graphical updates to WoW, when I turned mine onto the highest settings (include the highest MSAA and AA and such) it started lagging to shit (20-30 FPS).
    I have an i5-2500k @4ghz, 8gb ram and a r9 290. So I'm not so sure anymore.
    Make sure Render Scale is set at 100% and not higher and set AA to MSAA 8x instead of SSAA 2x. Render Scale can be found in Game Menu -> System -> Advanced.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Khuteh View Post
    I spent $1600 on a rig for WoD.

Have had 150fps in 25 man raids all the way through until this new patch whilst recording with Shadowplay also, since 6.1 now i'm getting tearing and lags all over the place even in areas where i have 250 fps previously.

The nVidia "experience" settings tells me to optimise it, before 6.1 it worked great, since 6.1 it keeps choosing settings which look like crap.
    150 FPS in 25 man raids? Way to boost your epeen. Kinda impossible
    Fractal Design R5 |MSI Z87-G45 | i5 4690k @4.6Ghz | Noctua NH-D15 | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 | MSI 980ti G6 |
    XFX 850W | WD Black 1TB | Samsung Evo 850 1TB | Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSD x 2 | Intel 180GB SSD | Rog Swift

7+ Year Old Account
    Impossible to see with the eyes yes, but not capped thats what it shows!

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Sounds about right maybe more 750-800 dolla doe

Quote Originally Posted by Khuteh View Post
    Impossible to see with the eyes yes, but not capped thats what it shows!
    Of course it is, you probably only have a 60 or 120 Hz monitor.

Ok, so, I have the computer together and I have replaced a couple of parts here:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.99 @ NewEgg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.00 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory ($134.00 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD ($114.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Free @ Layin Around)
    Video Card: MSI HD 7970 GHz Ed. Reference style, 280X ($125.00 @ Ebay)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: XFX PRO 750W Black Edition Single Rail Power Supply with Full Modular Cables ATX 750 Energy Star Certified Power Supply, P1750BBEFX ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1034.96
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-01 23:36 EST-0500

OS is Win8.1Pro64 with Classic Shell. I've converted the old SSD to a hot-swap external drive and a KBM switch through a powered usb so I can use same keyboard/mouse/monitor on both rigs. The Devil's Canyon is showing 4.2 turbo during stress test at stock. It goes up to 4.4 I believe during normal applications(not sure how that works exactly). The upgrades here from the last build are the ram and SSD. As mentioned in my last post, this went from a "how cheap can I go build" to a legitimate workstation. No longer just a WoW backup. Sometimes it just happens that way.

I will post photos Thursday. Last but not least, I'll probably be replacing the stock fan on the cpu cooler with a Noctua NF-F12 and moving that fan to side panel intake, since I already have the Noctua on hand.

Core i7? If this is a gaming machine why not go with i5, cheaper and almost the same performance in games.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Core i7? If this is a gaming machine why not go with i5, cheaper and almost the same performance in games.
    It isn't just a gaming machine anymore. I'm also not the OP(you might not think I was, but just in case anyone reading this thinks I am). Finally the difference to obtain multithreading and the other advantages of the 4790k, was only 80 dollars on a 1000 dollar machine so I found it cost feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    It isn't just a gaming machine anymore. I'm also not the OP(you might not think I was, but just in case anyone reading this thinks I am). Finally the difference to obtain multithreading and the other advantages of the 4790k, was only 80 dollars on a 1000 dollar machine so I found it cost feasible.
    Oh, ok then.