Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Computer loses power while playing WoW

My computer behaves quite weirdly recently and I'm not sure what the problem could be. (I don't have any other games on my computer besides WoW)

Usually I check auctions early in the morning and do some raids in the evening. Every day the computer loses power/dies once in the morning and one to three times in the evening.

Here are some observations that I made over the course of the last 10 days.

• The computer always dies when I'm fighting a boss or when I'm logging in.
    • Usually I have to wait a couple minutes before I will be able to restart the computer.
    • I could watch movies all day/night long on my computer or leave the computer running without a problem. The problem seems to have something to do with WoW/gaming.
    • My computer seems to be fine when I have WoW in the background although having WoW in the background+browsing the internet could rarely lead to a power loss.
    • I can be 100% sure that the first WoW login attempt in the morning will result in my computer losing power. It's more random in the evening but usually happens during boss fights.
    • Most of the time I have to plug/unplug the power cord in order to be able to restart the computer again.

Link to my computer specs
    Last edited by Scooby Dooby Doo; 2015-01-23 at 03:42 PM.

1)Broken PSU (Power supply) and if its a pre-built 95% the reason usually.

2)Overheating.

Check your temps.

Your PSU is failing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229438

Non-brand PSU@350W, non 80 Plus certified.

This is Bad News with a capital "B".

Buy a decent PSU. Use the list below:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tier-list.html

EDIT: Never buy pre-built PC's for gaming. Seek advice at the forums and build the PC yourself or pay a pro a nominal fee to do that for you.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Computer isn't likely losing power. This is a AMD setup and what these machines do it shutoff when the CPU temperature is too high. Check the CPU temp with a tool like HWmonitor and report it. Likely you have dust and the air isn't flowing.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Computer isn't likely losing power. This is a AMD setup and what these machines do it shutoff when the CPU temperature is too high. Check the CPU temp with a tool like HWmonitor and report it. Likely you have dust and the air isn't flowing.

Will do. Thank's for the quick answers.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just noticed two nights ago that my ram usage when playing wow went from around 45-50% to 65-75%. Sometimes spiking to 100% and making it stutter real bad. I'm not sure what happened. I only post here because I wonder if it's related? Been playing for years and this has never happened. I'm on 8gb of ram. This isn't during groups or anything, just random, sometime during groups, sometimes running around my garrison. I monitor but it onyl happens while wow is running. I'm wondering if Battlenet is installing something in the background? I don't know.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post

15+ Year Old Account
    'Dat CPU burning a hole in your tower, I tell you whut.

The 8-core AMD burn real hot. A cheap liquid cooler may solve the issue. They're not hard to install and can come preassembled.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    'Dat CPU burning a hole in your tower, I tell you whut.

The 8-core AMD burn real hot. A cheap liquid cooler may solve the issue. They're not hard to install and can come preassembled.
    Cheap it would have to be. Had to pay 7k in bills last month. Would you have a suggestion/link?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you running that thing with no heatsink or something? Jesus that's hot as hell. Recommended max safe temp from AMD on that CPU is something like 62c. Surprised you haven't fried the damn thing yet if it's running that hot consistently.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

@OP

1)
    Clean the dust from your CPU heatsink and the rest of the inside of your computer.

2) If that doesn't improve things, your power supply is likely on the way out.

maybe clean the processor and heatsink and re-apply thermal paste? But I think it isn't possible to go so high without shutting down already. Maybe in stead of CPUID try speedfan or so to check the temperatures?

206 degrees Celsius.. My god, either your CPU temp meter is broken down, or this thing will end up in flames soon.

Deleted
    His psu might be crappy but that doesn't explain the high temps. Look at the pic and he is just sitting there idle in two moons. Imagine raiding...
    You don't really need water cooling, you can get by with just a decent air cooler. I have absolutely no idea how big that cyberpowercrap case is so i can't suggest you something specifically. You have to check yourself how tall aftermarket cpu cooler you can fit inside there. Otherwise as a poster above said, water, you are looking at a Corsair H60 (usually one of the cheapest around).

Holy mother of god.... I have never seen a cpu run over 200 C. I'm surprised it can even run that high. My friend had a similar issue not to long ago with his cpu running at 80 C (which i consider high...) and his pc was shutting off. He threw out his old heat sink and fan and got a brand new heat sink and fan and it solved his temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    This. I had a similar problem about a year ago and then my gfs computer started the same thing a few weeks ago. Took out the heatsink, removed fan, cleaned out in between the fins and cleaned the fan, re-applies thermal paste and problem disappeared. All it cost me was a tube of thermal paste. You can get it cheap at your local computer store. Even the Arctic Silver 5 is only like $15 a tube, which is good for several applications.
    Try this also. If it doesn't work replace the entire heatsink. I have seen this work for others, but in the case of my friend it didn't work for him and he just ended up replacing the heatsink
    Last edited by Deletedaccount4857174; 2015-01-23 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    maybe clean the processor and heatsink and re-apply thermal paste? But I think it isn't possible to go so high without shutting down already. Maybe in stead of CPUID try speedfan or so to check the temperatures?
    This. I had a similar problem about a year ago and then my gfs computer started the same thing a few weeks ago. Took out the heatsink, removed fan, cleaned out in between the fins and cleaned the fan, re-applies thermal paste and problem disappeared. All it cost me was a tube of thermal paste. You can get it cheap at your local computer store. Even the Arctic Silver 5 is only like $15 a tube, which is good for several applications.

When re-applying thermal paste ensure your clean off both the heatsink and the CPU with a rubbing alcohol applied to a lint free cloth. When applying the new thermal paste I find the pea method to be the best, several videos on youtube of how to do this.

There is no way that reading is correct, 206 celsius? That thing would have shut down before even reaching the 100 mark.

206c is the new highest temperature I have seen in a *working CPU. Something is critically wrong. Either your heat sync has an ant hill of dust built on it, or your heat sync isn't making contact with your cpu. I don't even think 206c was possible before the cpu would either just fail.;
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post
    206 degrees Celsius.. My god, either your CPU temp meter is broken down, or this thing will end up in flames soon.
    Either HWmonitor doesn't track it well or its what is says. "Package", 206 degrees divided by 4 real cores = 51.5 degrees on each. In before someone jumps on it , its 4 real cores not 8. Its 8 logical ones similar like say an i7 4790k, 8 threads.

Honestly that has to be an error with the heat readers. The CPU would have died long before reaching 200 degrees. Maybe that 200 degree are actually Fahrenheit and the tool displays it wrong( would not be the first time.) That would be about 90 degree Celsius which is still an awful lot but at least possible without the processor melting.

But yeah it sounds like an overheating problem anyway.