Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    And that makes it ok?

I know most people run 1080p and those people won't run into issues yet (who knows how demanding 1080p can be in 2 years).
    It's a 300 dollar card mate. You really expect that to bring you to 4k plus do your laundry for you? Your expectations need to be lowered.

people who want to truly play at 4K will not care for money .. they will get a good expensive screen and 2x/3x top-end cards

those with el cheapo 4K screens and a dipping 30/sub-30 fps cannot call themselves 4K gamers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    It's a 300 dollar card mate. You really expect that to bring you to 4k plus do your laundry for you? Your expectations need to be lowered.
    No I didnt. 4k on a single card wont work, you will need to go SLI/crossfire.

My main issues with all of this is the hiding/lying of Nvidia of the real specs of the 970. And it seems that some people have no problems with that.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Did they lie a bit? Yes.

Did people make a huge deal out of it? Yes.

Is it still a beast card and the only option from 350$ before the 980? Yes.

Until May-June maybe even to July and AMD new cards GTX 970 is still the way to go, 3.5+0.5 or not its still the best value for money out there right now.

The problem that supposedly appears wont even appear to probably 99.9% of the 970 buyers because not everyone has a 4K resolution or a 1440p.

Not even 1440p is mainstream yet and probably wont be until 2016 cause price.

If it does appear on 1080p, turn the damn AA down a notch 2 years from now, big deal.

Of course its a "terrible" thing from Nvidia, but people are acting like their card no longer provides the power they need to run games.
    thats correct but...... a lie is a lie and in business lying is bad and means trouble(lawsuits etc), this make 970 a bad card? no, but is all about principles and they need to fix prices lower in all the maxwell cards and compensate who already buyed with the difference, stop lying and APOLOGIZE nvidia.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    No I didnt. 4k on a single card wont work, you will need to go SLI/crossfire.

My main issues with all of this is the hiding/lying of Nvidia of the real specs of the 970. And it seems that some people have no problems with that.
    I think this is pretty stupid, they could have solved it if they cared I think.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I think this is pretty stupid, they could have solved it if they cared I think.
    According to Anandtech, this was the only available option to allow them to even offer a GTX 970. Some people probably don't care because it doesn't change the performance of the card now that it's been almost 4 months after release. Businesses always lie, it's really nothing new lol.

Take most restaurants for example... The food they advertise is usually no where close to what they serve.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    According to Anandtech, this was the only available option to allow them to even offer a GTX 970. Some people probably don't care because it doesn't change the performance of the card now that it's been almost 4 months after release. Businesses always lie, it's really nothing new lol.

Take most restaurants for example... The food they advertise is usually no where close to what they serve.
    I think they should have disabled the last column and have the other smms actiavted. You would get the same number of the smms, but less memory. It would have made this an nonissue.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Can't win in this one...people don't want to pay 980 prices...they make a 970 to appease those people. 970 is basically a 980 with a few things turned off, nothing more or less than these companies have been doing for over a decade to come up with midrange models. As a result the memory is a bit slower at the top end, so what.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Can't win in this one...people don't want to pay 980 prices...they make a 970 to appease those people. 970 is basically a 980 with a few things turned off, nothing more or less than these companies have been doing for over a decade to come up with midrange models. As a result the memory is a bit slower at the top end, so what.
    Wrong. They clearly marketed the card with false information (for 4 months!) on the specifications (they even admitted to it). False advertising. In EU with their strict consumer laws, the manufacturer/retailer must give you a full refund or a card with the quoted original specifications you paid for. This isn't the only time NVIDIA has done something shady (NV fan boy btw).

I don't game at 4k so I won't run into VRAM problems, but the card was falsely marketed.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...ations-GTX-970

Newegg is accepting returns on the device without restocking fees.
    Last edited by TrainingKimpas; 2015-01-27 at 07:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    It'd be awesome if it did my laundry, but no.
    The issue becomes when some people decide to run 4k by SLIing 970s. 4k needs the extra VRAM and with it gimped up, you'd be having some awkward performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It'd be awesome if it did my laundry, but no.
    The issue becomes when some people decide to run 4k by SLIing 970s. 4k needs the extra VRAM and with it gimped up, you'd be having some awkward performance.
    Yes, exactly that. The VRAM goes over 3500MB in games, and you get stuttering and really bad frame timing. The last 500MB runs at 1/7th speed of the other pool, not acceptable for gaming.
    Last edited by TrainingKimpas; 2015-01-27 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    Wrong. They clearly marketed the card with false information (for 4 months!) on the specifications (they even admitted to it). False advertising. In EU with their strict consumer laws, the manufacturer/retailer must give you a full refund or a card with the quoted original specifications you paid for. This isn't the only time NVIDIA has done something shady (NV fan boy btw).

I don't game at 4k so I won't run into VRAM problems, but the card was falsely marketed.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...ations-GTX-970

Newegg is accepting returns on the device without restocking fees.
    I think you need to calm down. Unless you honestly want people to believe you're relying on ROP's and L2 information when deciding on your mid-level video cards...

I think you need to calm down. Unless you honestly want people to believe you're relying on ROP's and L2 information when deciding on your mid-level video cards...
    Correct. People do not buy video cards based on L2 cache or ROPs. But that is besides the point. NV marketed the card with false specifications and didn't fix it for 4 months. False advertising.

15+ Year Old Account
    Correct. People do not buy video cards based on L2 cache or ROPs. But that is besides the point. NV marketed the card with false specifications and didn't fix it for 4 months. False advertising.
    Actually that is what they do buy them for, the performance. People might not know what they do but that is what helps it perform. Hopefully this will create more transparency about graphics cards, and not just drop a video card randomly not even talking about it until it gets released.

I wish you luck in your lawsuits or whatever it is you got going...or something? Most everyone else sees this as "Mid-level card performs like a mid-level card. Water still wet. Fire, hot."

10+ Year Old Account
    Well.. Those specs were afaik only in the press kit. Nvidia.com nor vendors actually showed the nitty gritty about L2 cache or ROPs. Journalists published that. In terms of legal actions against them they might have a shot of saving their behinds. But nevertheless they've done a big oopsie and should accept returns on goodwill if nothing else.

I wish you luck in your lawsuits or whatever it is you got going...or something? Most everyone else sees this as "Mid-level card performs like a mid-level card. Water still wet. Fire, hot."
    Lawsuits? No. I don't want AMD thinking they can try and pull a stunt like NV did. Companies should not lie about their products.

Looks like a GTX 970 has been pulled for review from Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GeFor...eywords=gtx970
    Last edited by TrainingKimpas; 2015-01-27 at 09:43 PM.

How about we find a reliable benchmark on which it demonstrates that game performance is indeed affected at those resolutions? I've been looking all over the internet for those, but not a single benchmark, be it SLI, running at 4k resolution, has not shown the massive degradation of performance. I mean, Nvidia explained it that it doesn't affect game performance due to how memory allocation works, and it makes total sense to me as a programmer. Benchmarks seem only to confirm this.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunius View Post
    I mean, Nvidia explained it that it doesn't affect game performance due to how memory allocation works
    Yes, because if it totally did affect game performance, Nvidia would say it to the world?

Benchmarking or catching this is an issue, what are you going to compare it to?

Overall, meh, Nvidia clearly knew about this (unless they design their hardware by throwing darts at silicon). It's not even the point if it affects performance or not, but the fact that their reported specs were wrong.

How it works in real life:

is this last 500MB of memory addressable and usable? I dont care if that means it runs at 1% the speed of the rest.

If the answer is yes, it is addressable, then legally they are 100% in the clear and there is nothing anyone can do.

Then there's this...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunius View Post
    How about we find a reliable benchmark on which it demonstrates that game performance is indeed affected at those resolutions? I've been looking all over the internet for those, but not a single benchmark, be it SLI, running at 4k resolution, has not shown the massive degradation of performance. I mean, Nvidia explained it that it doesn't affect game performance due to how memory allocation works, and it makes total sense to me as a programmer. Benchmarks seem only to confirm this.
    And this.

Mid-range card is a high-range card with stuff disabled, same as they have been from all major manufacturers and chip designers for the last 15 years.

News at 11.