Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Dog set to be Euthanized on the Lam.

So, there was this dog in Canada. And it bit 4 different people. So the local authorities said "Ok, your dog is dangerous, we're gonna have to put it down."

So the owner got in contact with a group in the United States that rescues dogs that are going to be euthanized, and the animal was smuggled across the border. It's now living, somewhere, in the United States. Possibly under an assumed name.

This is the money quote.

He is in the doggy version of witness protection,” Robin Mitash, the executive director of the Lexus Project, a U.S. agency that works to save animals facing execution, said in an email.

What do ya'll think about that?

Serial biting. In case Serial killer wasn't made fun of enough for sounding like Cereal.

...But seriously, what? I mean, I don't think putting down dogs is exactly the right thing to do, but this doesn't sound like the most friendly dog if it's just going around biting people.

Deleted
    I think the authorities are two bites too late.
    First bite was enough to have the dog monitored, Second bite should have been enough for local authorities to turn up and shoot it on the spot if it is a danger to others, or to take it away and euthinise it. Tired of people saying that "fido would hurt a fly" and "he was prvoked" only for the mutt to turn round and maul a child.

10+ Year Old Account
    'Who let the dogs out' is now a classic song...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

How do I donate to this Lexus Project? Faith in humanity slightly restored. Dogs that are aggressive are a byproduct of human neglect, they are victims. I will always be against euthanization of dogs due to bites. If it isn't rabid, it can be saved. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    How do I donate to this Lexus Project?
    Send it to my PayPal account.

I'll make sure it gets to the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I think the authorities are two bites too late.
    First bite was enough to have the dog monitored, Second bite should have been enough for local authorities to turn up and shoot it on the spot if it is a danger to others, or to take it away and euthinise it. Tired of people saying that "fido would hurt a fly" and "he was prvoked" only for the mutt to turn round and maul a child.
    Why does biting justify death? Why does a period of unpleasant pain to a human justify ending the life of the dog? It sucks to be bit by a dog, I've been bit myself by a black Labrador but I didn't fly off into a bloodthirst. It's only an animal.

Be sort of funny if it mauls one of its rescuers.
    ~RAWR!

10+ Year Old Account
    How do I donate to this Lexus Project? Faith in humanity slightly restored. Dogs that are aggressive are a byproduct of human neglect, they are victims. I will always be against euthanization of dogs due to bites. If it isn't rabid, it can be saved. End of story.
    For real yo. Animals shouldn't be punished for being animals.

10+ Year Old Account
    My aunts dog has bitten 10+ people, all of whom are friends/family. It's not because he's aggressive... He's very very anxious and very protective of those he loves. If he doesn't know you and you walk into the house, you'll get bit. Aside from that, he hasn't just bitten people randomly, only when they enter the house. Could he have been euthanized? Technically yes, but since everyone understands why he did it, no one has bothered to push for it.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Deleted
    It's only an animal.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    For real yo. Animals shouldn't be punished for being animals.
    It isn't even punishment, its downright execution. I tire of people treating animals as if they aren't living things, as if they are an inanimate material like sticks and stones. It doesn't take a crazy PETA whack-o to acknowledge that "hey, this is a living thing and I shouldn't make it die"

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    My aunts dog has bitten 10+ people, all of whom are friends/family.
    Your aunt sounds like a lovely person.

Deleted
    The reality of the situation is that animal shelters are typically overcrowded as is, which is where i imagine this dog would end up to be "rehabilitated" (that or a expensive dog training expert which i guess nobody wants to/can afford to pay for), so putting this dog there would mean another animal can't. Enough animals are euthanized in shelters each year due to lack of capacity, so it seems to me that if you have to choose, you should choose a "broken" dog to die rather then for example a nest of kittens left to die on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    local authorities to turn up and shoot it on the spot
    I wanted to reply to this, but I'd rather avoid an infraction. Just imagine something written here that would piss off a mod.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

A dog that demonstrates a willingness to bite people is not one that can be trusted. You can, in theory, take it away and attempt to rehabilitate it, but you can never trust it. You can never let it be around kids without standing over them constantly. And if you let it near strangers and it attacks, you're liable for the damage it causes.

I feel sympathy for these dogs similar to how I feel sympathy for criminals who have grown up in a bad area and never really had an opportunity to rise about their circumstances. And in both cases, it's entirely possible for redemption. But that doesn't mean I'm going to advocate for not sending someone guilty of a violent crime to jail. And that doesn't mean I'm going to advocate for just overlooking the dog's aggressive attitude. Appropriate measures need to be taken to protect the public. And unfortunate as it may seem, in the case of a dog: unless someone in a rural area wants to adopt it, there's not much you can do to protect the public from it besides Euthanasia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda OT, but is it legal for the Lexus Project to have that name, considering there is a (rather huge) car company also called Lexus?

It isn't even punishment, its downright execution.
    I'm pretty sure death is a punishment. Quite the punishment in fact.

But yea. Dogs are sometimes gonna bite. If a random dog bit me, I wouldn't demand it be killed, although I would not want to have it be around my family or any weak children who can't handle a biting. I'd suggest that potentially dangerous dogs be shipped to some training facility, but nobodies gonna pitch in money for that shit on their taxes so the standard is probably gonna be always to just kill them.

Deleted
    Why does biting justify death? Why does a period of unpleasant pain to a human justify ending the life of the dog? It sucks to be bit by a dog, I've been bit myself by a black Labrador but I didn't fly off into a bloodthirst. It's only an animal.
    There is a difference between a playful bite that may draw a little blood, and a full on viscious bite.
    NSFW (Graphic image, you have been warned)
    This and This
    are what I am talking about. Any animal that is capable of doing this type of damage, and does it more than once has no place in an area where it is able to attack people. The life of one obviously dangerous animal is always going to be a lesser value over that of the safty of people around it.

The animal in question, had multiple chances and still bit people (could really do with the artical link to read more on it) it is obviously out of control and a danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    A dog that demonstrates a willingness to bite people is not one that can be trusted. You can, in theory, take it away and attempt to rehabilitate it, but you can never trust it. You can never let it be around kids without standing over them constantly. And if you let it near strangers and it attacks, you're liable for the damage it causes.

I feel sympathy for these dogs similar to how I feel sympathy for criminals who have grown up in a bad area and never really had an opportunity to rise about their circumstances. And in both cases, it's entirely possible for redemption. But that doesn't mean I'm going to advocate for not sending someone guilty of a violent crime to jail. And that doesn't mean I'm going to advocate for just overlooking the dog's aggressive attitude. Appropriate measures need to be taken to protect the public. And unfortunate as it may seem, in the case of a dog: unless someone in a rural area wants to adopt it, there's not much you can do to protect the public from it besides Euthanasia.
    If it was possible to send dogs to jail and have them learn from their mistakes, I 100% guarantee people would embrace it. But they can't because they have no ability to discern moral responsibility. We, as the higher intelligence species, need to understand this and be forgiving of them, as it was US who brought them into our lives. Killing them just makes us out to be no better an animal than they were in life.