Cross Realm in GW2?

I plopped down into Tarnished Coast for the RP.

But I also have a few friends who I found out play GW2, who are on other servers.

Am I locked away from doing questlines together? I assume that I can dungeon with them and PvP maps with them, but what about general playing through the overworld?

You are not locked away. Guild Wars 2 uses the concept of Megaservers: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mega...aserver_system

The GW2 wiki is a TREMENDOUS resource. It is officially maintained. So much so that you can access the wiki from within the game. To do so type in the chat box /wiki <subject term> and the page will open directly.

GW2 has a long history of robust wiki support. It is important.

GW2 has something they call "mega servers", wherein players from any server can be matched into a map together based on an algorithm that includes things like your friends list, guild, and playstyle.
    So in any given map, you can meet people from any given server (in your region, NA and EU are separated).
    Furthermore, you can join the same party and guild as people from different servers, as well as do dungeons and pvp with them.

The only thing you cannot do with someone from a different server is WvWvW.

There are mega servers. Just join a party right clicker their portrait and select join their mega server or something of that nature.

Servers literally serve no purpose other then WvW
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.