Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    You are saying 1080p phones are hard to read then lol? You do realize no 4k phones exist, right? And there is a reason for this lol. Resolution is just one facet of a screen, brightness/viewing angles/color reproduction all figure into the mix and you can have 1080p screens that look better than 1440p (htc one m8 vs lg g3 for example). And the most popular phone in the entire world has a lowly 1334x750 resolution and everyone says it looks outstanding.

- - - Updated - - -

Except it ISNT AVAILABLE IN THE US AND WONT BE.

You'd have to order it through a third party reseller and hope it works on your carrier (and pay some expensive overseas shipping); also, it doesnt cover the full spread of LTE bands on AT&T or T-Mo (the only carriers it will work on in the US even if you import it.)
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/28648...us-buyers.html

LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    You are saying 1080p phones are hard to read then lol? You do realize no 4k phones exist, right? And there is a reason for this lol. Resolution is just one facet of a screen, brightness/viewing angles/color reproduction all figure into the mix and you can have 1080p screens that look better than 1440p (htc one m8 vs lg g3 for example). And the most popular phone in the entire world has a lowly 1334x750 resolution and everyone says it looks outstanding.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28648...us-buyers.html

LOL
    Im saying the higher the resolution, the easier and nicer to read. I didnt say its unreadable under 4K. Some of us like to read non-mobile formatted webpages and dont want to zoom and have to scroll left and right to read it.

A Corvette looks outstanding too but a Bugatti looks much better

Im not even sure what you are getting at, no phones even exist with 4k res and i doubt they will until battery technology has a massive leap in performance. On top of all this, there IS a limit to what the human eye can differentiate, do i believe its 326pixels per inch like apple puts on there products? No its probably higher than that but having 4k on a phone will be indistinguishable from a good 1080 or 1440 screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    a 1080p screen doesnt cut it anymore. New phones are starting to come with 4K screens and current ones have in between 1080p and 4K.

The LG G3 is a 2K screen, and with the pixel density companies are achieving, it wont be long before 4K screens are much more common and 8K ones will be coming out
    Most new high end phones feature QHD screens. Where are you finding phones with 4k displays?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Most new high end phones feature QHD screens. Where are you finding phones with 4k displays?
    There were a couple shown at CES. They arent out yet, but next year at this time, they will likely be common

Just so we dont confuse him, QHD means 4x 720p, not 1080 lol (2560x1440)

- - - Updated - - -

There were a couple shown at CES. They arent out yet, but next year at this time, they will likely be common
    No, no there werent lol. The two phones that made an impact at CES were the LG G Flex 2 (which comes with a 1080p screen, LG listened to customers and LOWERED resolution) and the asus zenfone 2 because of its insane price point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not even sure what you are getting at, no phones even exist with 4k res and i doubt they will until battery technology has a massive leap in performance. On top of all this, there IS a limit to what the human eye can differentiate, do i believe its 326pixels per inch like apple puts on there products? No its probably higher than that but having 4k on a phone will be indistinguishable from a good 1080 or 1440 screen.
    People also used to say that HD was like looking through a glass window when it came out for TVs and that nothing could be better, but 4K and in Japan 8K TVs are obviously better

I really can't find anything on a phone with a 4k display. 4k recording, 4k streaming, 4k video playback, but nothing about actually having a 4k display. Lots of talk about 4k TV and the new Blu-Ray 4k spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    I really can't find anything on a phone with a 4k display. 4k recording, 4k streaming, 4k video playback, but nothing about actually having a 4k display. Lots of talk about 4k TV and the new Blu-Ray 4k spec.
    Guess I mistook 4K video recording as having a 4K screen too as whats the point of shooting a higher resolution than you can see it played back at

Guess I mistook 4K video recording as having a 4K screen too as whats the point of shooting a higher resolution than you can see it played back at
    Has been happening for a long time already. 1920x1080 is 2 Megapixel, but we see phones with that can take 20 MP photos.

So any new phone options for Verizon. The reason I haven't used my upgrade is because I use a lot of data watching video apps when I ride the bus to work. If I use my upgrade I'd have to switch to limited data plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, since last generation we've had a lot of awesomely good cheap phones, the first and second Moto Gs, the moto E, Lumia 730 or the Zenphone 5.
    You can also go a little hipster with an Oneplus One, the phone is ridiculously cheap at your country if you manage to actually find one being sold.
    For more expansive phones, the One M8 is a very good "normal sized" phone, with a metallic body that feels confortable at hand, the Xperia Z3 compact is by far the best small smartphone ever built (seriously, that thing lasts more than 2 days at a single charge, with a flagship hardware).
    You said that you watch a lot of videos, maybe a bigger phone would be able to do this job a little better than the smaller ones, in this department our clear winners are the Galaxy Note 4 and the Nexus 6, the first for being the only smartphone that actually does something different in order to use it's bigger screen space, and the second for having a pure google stock android experience. You literally can't go wrong with either of them.

And for the discussion above, no there aren't any 4K display smartphones, CES didn't show any. They were all QHD (2560x1440), which isn't even mainstream yet.

Edit: My advice for a used smartphone would be a Snapdragon variant of the Note 3, you can easily put Lollipop (CM based or TW) in it and be happy with a long lasting, snappy phone.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-01-25 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokogon View Post
    So any new phone options for Verizon. The reason I haven't used my upgrade is because I use a lot of data watching video apps when I ride the bus to work. If I use my upgrade I'd have to switch to limited data plan.
    Even more reason to get the hell off of Verizon. You can get unlimited (4G) Data from T-mobile for ~65$ a month (before taxes and fees) or 60$ a month at Metro (which is a T-mo subsidiary and uses their network) after taxes and fees. You get a few less features (no Wi-Fi calling, have to pay 5$ for hotspot if you want it) on Metro.

But they are both unlimited 4G data, and i have to imagine cheaper than Verizon. Would open up your phone options immensely. A lot of the good "cheap" phones (that are still solid phones) dont run on Verizon's network (because it is CDMA) and the cheap phones tend to be world phones (GSM).

Anything over 1080p on a phone is completely useless, lol. 1080p on 5'' is already 440ppi. 4k would be 880ppi.
    My 7'' tablet is 200ppi and I can't distinguish the individiaul pixels. The monitor you are using right now is likely below 100ppi.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2015-01-25 at 10:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Anything over 1080p on a phone is completely useless, lol. 1080p on 5'' is already 440ppi. 4k would be 880ppi.
    My 7'' tablet is 200ppi and I can't distinguish the individiaul pixels. The monitor you are using right now is likely below 100ppi.
    Absolute PPI is irrelevant, the reason they're going this far in smartphone displays is because you tend to look at it REALLY close. Televisions and monitors are far from your eyes, the difference noticed by the pixel density increase is much smaller. I have a F8500 here at home, which is probably the last good plasma TV ever built, and sincerely, it's a 64 inch 1920x1080 television and you can easily see pixels if you stand next to it, but the image quality, looking at it from the right distance, is an entire universe better than any 4k television I've seen until now at stores, which were all LCD panels.

Quote Originally Posted by DrArtorius View Post
    Absolute PPI is irrelevant, the reason they're going this far in smartphone displays is because you tend to look at it REALLY close. Televisions and monitors are far from your eyes, the difference noticed by the pixel density increase is much smaller. I have a F8500 here at home, which is probably the last good plasma TV ever built, and sincerely, it's a 64 inch 1920x1080 television and you can easily see pixels if you stand next to it, but the image quality, looking at it from the right distance, is an entire universe better than any 4k television I've seen until now at stores, which were all LCD panels.
    Just, no. The reason you are starting to see smartphones come out with resoutions higher than 1080p is simply because they can. They release new phones every year and they need to do something to set the phones apart from the previous model. Go look at LG G3 reviews on youtube, nearly every reviewer says they cannot tell the difference between it and a 1080p screen, not only that but a few of them say they prefer 1080p at this point for better battery life.

What you dont seem to understand is that there is a limit to what the human eye can differentiate, is it 326ppi like on the iphone? Who knows but there is a limit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just, no. The reason you are starting to see smartphones come out with resoutions higher than 1080p is simply because they can. They release new phones every year and they need to do something to set the phones apart from the previous model. Go look at LG G3 reviews on youtube, nearly every reviewer says they cannot tell the difference between it and a 1080p screen, not only that but a few of them say they prefer 1080p at this point for better battery life.

What you dont seem to understand is that there is a limit to what the human eye can differentiate, is it 326ppi like on the iphone? Who knows but there is a limit.
    Different people have different quality eyes. I have an Iphone 6 Plus and can definitely notice a little bit of a rough edge around icon graphics when I hold it close to my face which I do when Im looking at a webpage not formatted for smartphones. I dont like to zoom in and then have to scroll left and right(best way I can explain it is its like video games with a low AA setting) which tells me that there could be more pixel density.

Additionally, I (and most people who watch video) like to hold my phone about 3 to 4 inches from my eyes when watching video to get the "big screen" experience, and higher resolution makes it look better
    Last edited by Orlong; 2015-01-25 at 02:10 PM.