Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Do you know what Valentine's Day 2015 is called?

Saturday.

Might be because we don't have this hilariously asinine "celebration" in Finland. Well, to be honest, we have "Ystävänpäivä" on the 14th, but it translates to "friend's day", and there's really nothing commercial about it. In fact, we don't do jack on that day for anyone or to anyone. Someone might send a "friend's day card" to someone, but that's it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Do you know what Valentine's Day 2015 is called?

Saturday.
    And they say Finns aren't romantic.

Im just buying it a few days later when its discounted and then eat it alone like a lowlife.

Deleted
    Well, where I live we really don't celebrate Valentine's day, we have our own thing. Men give roses to women and women give books to men! It's called Sant Jordi (Saint George's day, I guess?), the city smells of flowers and there's little shops selling books for cheap prices.

Nowadays you don't really care if you're male or female for the gifts tho, I'd rather have a book.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    And they say Finns aren't romantic.
    Imagine not being bound to some specific day to be romantic, and not getting a free pass from being romantic every other day of the year? Well, that's Finland. Have fun in your country, buddy. Sorry. "Country."

Valentine's Day isn't a free pass from being romantic any more than other holidays are from their spirit- Passover, Yom Kippur, New Years, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas.

Thanksgiving isn't intended to be a "free pass" from being thankful. Yea sure, you can do that anytime. It just so happened to be Thanksgiving was when some people decided to do so collectively- because it's fun, because people like doing things together generally.

Valentine's is generally a lot of fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Thanksgiving isn't intended to be a "free pass" from being thankful. Yea sure, you can do that anytime. It just so happened to be Thanksgiving was when some people decided to do so collectively- because it's fun, because people like doing things together generally.

Yeah. Genocide is so fun. Awesome celebration, that Thanksgiving!

Oh and by the way, I'm a proud carnivore, but kudos to that video.

No one celebrates the holiday for genocide. Regardless of origin, it's spirit in modern culture is one of familial celebration and bounty.

Genocide, yea. That is totally why people commonly gather with their families on Thanksgiving.

The obtuseness of the argument is laughable to reason.

Deleted
    No one celebrates the holiday for genocide. Regardless of origin, it's spirit in modern culture is one of familial celebration and bounty.

Genocide, yea. That is totally why people commonly gather with their families on Thanksgiving.

The obtuseness of the argument is laughable to reason.
    You do understand there are quite a few people in the country that celebrates Thanksgiving, who think it shouldn't be celebrated in any way or form, right?

Also, "regardless of origin"... So like, "who gives a shit natives were slaughtered left and right, that's irrelevant." Right? Because that's what you're saying.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2015-01-25 at 04:50 AM.

You do understand there are quite a few people in the country that celebrates Thanksgiving, who think it shouldn't be celebrated in any way or form, right?
    I am not sure what you are saying. There are people that celebrate Thanksgiving but these people think it shouldn't be celebrated? What.

Deleted
    I am not sure what you are saying. There are people that celebrate Thanksgiving but these people think it shouldn't be celebrated? What.
    Talk about obtuse.

Let me draw you a picture; if you celebrate Thanksgiving, you're ignoring the genocide of the natives in the US, and you're saying to everyone who sees you celebrating this "holiday" of yours; "screw the natives, I don't give two shits about them, this is our country."

Replace the natives with slaves, make the celebration something that was begun by the cotton lords of the South, and perhaps then you understand?

Talk about obtuse.
    "There are people that celebrate Thanksgiving," -but- "these people think it shouldn't be celebrated."

So these people are celebrating Thanksgiving but think it shouldn't be celebrated? What you wrote is unclear.

Let me draw you a picture; if you celebrate Thanksgiving, you're ignoring the genocide of the natives in the US
    This isn't logical or true.

The holiday in modern culture is not supportive of historical fact (neither is Valentine's actually). Nor is the modern spirit of Thanksgiving such. Historical fact is irrelevant to the celebration as practiced.

Again, no one is gathering to celebrate genocide on Thanksgiving, the murder of children on Passover or the marrying of Roman soldiers on Valentines.

Culture changes. Holidays are symbolic of whatever the prevailing culture feels is worth celebration or reverence.

What is your actual argument anyway? Holidays are dumb because you can do X, Y or Z on a Monday of no particular note? Okay, given. However, human beings gather and celebrate because it's mostly fun.

You are free to celebrate genocide on any Tuesday if you like, of course.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-01-25 at 05:10 AM.

Deleted
    Talk about obtuse.

Let me draw you a picture; if you celebrate Thanksgiving, you're ignoring the genocide of the natives in the US, and you're saying to everyone who sees you celebrating this "holiday" of yours; "screw the natives, I don't give two shits about them, this is our country."

Replace the natives with slaves, make the celebration something that was begun by the cotton lords of the South, and perhaps then you understand?
    So hostile! I guess you're celebrating SAD this year...

Never be surprised a company markets a holiday for more $$$.

I thought it was Kraft who changed Cadbury's chocolate recipe as soon as they bought them.

As for the little candies:
    /violin

Oh and by the way, I'm a proud carnivore, but kudos to that video.
    Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day, is a holiday celebrated in the United States on the fourth Thursday in November. It has been celebrated as a federal holiday every year since 1863, when, during the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens", to be celebrated on the last Thursday in November.[1] Thanksgiving was also celebrated nationally in 1789, after a proclamation by George Washington.[2]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksg...United_States)

The connection between Thanksgiving and the Squanto issue is tenuous at best. It's one of those modern myths. There may have been an autumn feast between european pilgrims and american natives, but it wasn't Thanksgiving. The holiday celebrated in the U.S. is a civil holiday created in the middle of the American Civil War (apparently to foster goodwill between the opposing sides of the war) that coincides with a european tradition of autumn festivals for centuries at least. There is documentation of a specific Thanksgiving Festival being observed by american colonists decades before the Plymouth "first thanksgiving".

The "truth" about thanksgiving is boring. I didn't even bother to watch the video. The "head in the sand" imagery of the ostrich (apparently, at least) and a photograph taken at least 200 years after the Plymouth "first thanksgiving" is already showing me that this video is of the "Ancient Aliens" or "Truth about JFK" variety: i.e. "not substantiated and demonstrably misleading".

Focus on this sort of "truth about thanksgiving" is actually deflecting away from the historic plight of american tribals, for which there is plentiful evidence and documentation that shows what actually happened.

Not to mention it's basically conspiracy theory garbage.

Deleted
    Way too expensive/sentimental a day for me

Just reminds me to share more during the rest of the year.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    World changes.
    Guys buy flowers and Chocolate.. Talk about sexism. I want folowers and chocolate aswell.

Darned holidays getting with the times. We should just go back to when men clubbed women and dragged them back to their caves.

Valentines Day is kind of cheesy, but on the other hand it's hard to be super romantic 365/24/7. Even if you were, eventually that would be the norm and become boring. IMO, nothing wrong with spicing things up periodically, even if the commercial incentives are different on the business end.