Samsung 840 pro ssd all of the sudden booting slow

I've had this ssd for about a year now and it has always booted super fast. like 10 seconds or so. All of the sudden last night it's taking like 4 or 5 minutes. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what has changed, but I can't figure it out. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Download a program called Ccleaner and check the "startup" tab. If you see anything on there that looks fishy disable it. Also never hurts to run a malware scan with malware bytes.

- - - Updated - - -

Also im not sure what its called or if there is one but seagate has a HDD/SSD tester called seatools, maybe samsung has something similar that can check the drive for errors.

I've used samsungs magician and did a performance test, everything came back good, and I did a scan with malwarebytes and nothing malicious was found. I downloaded cc cleaner and ran it, but the problem is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    I've used samsungs magician and did a performance test, everything came back good, and I did a scan with malwarebytes and nothing malicious was found. I downloaded cc cleaner and ran it, but the problem is still there.
    Not sure you read what Fascinate said. They said to check the 'startup' tab for programs that are starting that shouldn't be there or look odd. What were the results?

If this is the case then it could be an OS problem. I'm assuming Windows. Can you boot into safe mode? Does that take a long time, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Not sure you read what Fascinate said. They said to check the 'startup' tab for programs that are starting that shouldn't be there or look odd. What were the results?
    Oh, I missed that. So I'm in the startup tab, I just see a list of a lot of programs that i have there. Nothing looks odd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darxide View Post
    If this is the case then it could be an OS problem. I'm assuming Windows. Can you boot into safe mode? Does that take a long time, too?
    Sorry, how do I boot into safe mode?

It's a disk issue, not the OS. Make sure you have TRIM enable and all drivers/firmware up to date.

How full is the disk? If it's more than 75% or so, try to free up some space and see how it performs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaelath View Post
    It's a disk issue, not the OS. Make sure you have TRIM enable and all drivers/firmware up to date.

How full is the disk? If it's more than 75% or so, try to free up some space and see how it performs.
    Drivers and firmware on the ssd? Yes, it's pretty full. 36g left out of 238g. How do I enable TRIM?

Drivers and firmware on the ssd? Yes, it's pretty full. 36g left out of 238g. How do I enable TRIM?
    TRIM is usually on by default. If the drive it's that full, the space is probably the issue. Try clearing some space.

I also have the Samsung series 840 Pro, mine is the 512 however. Install the samsung SSD magician and run the performance optimization. It will do the trim for you and also tell you the health of your SSD from the actual creator and not a third party program. Send me a private message if you need further assistance. Also is there any damage to your MBR that you can think of?
    | Intel 6700k | MSI Gaming z270 M7 | EVGA 1080 TI FTW3 | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Black 4TB | 64GB DDR4 | EVGA G2 850W |

Quote Originally Posted by Rinji View Post
    I also have the Samsung series 840 Pro, mine is the 512 however. Install the samsung SSD magician and run the performance optimization. It will do the trim for you and also tell you the health of your SSD from the actual creator and not a third party program. Send me a private message if you need further assistance. Also is there any damage to your MBR that you can think of?
    I have the magician and I ran performance optimization. What is MBR?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaelath View Post
    TRIM is usually on by default. If the drive it's that full, the space is probably the issue. Try clearing some space.
    what are you basing this on? i run my ssd at pretty much full all the time (8-10gb free of 120gb usually) and have never had a problem like this. how would 'the space' be the issue?

also; booting into safe mode; start mashing f8 when u power on before windows starts to load and yea, see what the time is like.
    Last edited by Septik; 2015-01-25 at 01:13 AM.

MBR - Master boot Record. These can become damaged.

Have you provided the SSD any room for an OP (Over Provisioning) Partition? or do you have Rapid mode enabled?
    | Intel 6700k | MSI Gaming z270 M7 | EVGA 1080 TI FTW3 | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Black 4TB | 64GB DDR4 | EVGA G2 850W |

Have you got had anything plugged into your USB ports that wasn't before the problem started?
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

15+ Year Old Account
    Make sure AHCI is enabled in your bios, also check and see how much space is on your ssd, the more you have the less performance you can have.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Download Crystal Disk Info

http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...o/index-e.html

and then take a sceenshot of the SSD page on the said software and post it here.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Have you got had anything plugged into your USB ports that wasn't before the problem started?
    This. Also try disconnecting your DVD drive if you have one. I had mine misbehave and cause windows to be stuck on its loading screen for 4-5 minutes.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You MIGHT need to patch the firmware due to an issue identified a few months ago: http://www.computerworld.com/article...slowdowns.html

Go here:
    http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...downloads.html

Go down page to Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software

Download the windows version and run it. You can't update the firmware the usual way for this particular issue. There's a PDF file for a guide also.

Even if this is not your particular issue, you should do the fix.

Edit: oops my bad, wrong SSD version.
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2015-01-27 at 04:09 PM.

But they have a 840 PRO and that issue only affected the 840 EVO :\
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    This might interest you: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/sam...slowdowns.html

It's for 840 EVO, but who knows maybe it also affect 840 PRO

Try firmware update.