Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post

What is WoW doing different besides it's abnormally large player base who largely don't seem to really like MMO's
    Well, they are doing something right to be a 10 year old game, sub based still and growing back to 10Million subscribers. Just because everyone is copying WoW doesn't mean wow isn't doing something different. And sure, the gear is not different between rift, ToR, or WoW, but wow has been around longer and doing it longer.

And I base fun on if they were able to keep or have a lot of current players. Most of the MMO's out there do not fall in the fun category. Tera is fun, but it gets shafted on content being way to slow. I can't play a game like that where its mother land gets content so much sooner then everyone else, making everyone else feel like they are second class.

While WoW may not be doing much different, that is simply because everyone tries to mimic WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I agree that WoD doesn't deliver all that much, but I must ask. What other offerings on the market are you talking about? Every other MMO out there failed hard.
    I also like playing ESO and SWTOR from time to time. I don't play FFXIV anymore but I hear it's getting tons of stuff as well. WoD is really lacking compared to the updates these games are getting.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

One thing WoW had at the beginning was a following from Original Warcraft and it also was one of the earliest MMOs out there. Game companies are trying to get toes into a 10 year old market with no previous player investment from past games.

If there is any game gaming company that could compete with Blizzard, it's either Valve or Riot.

Valve's position in the industry is definitely one of the best and making the jump to an MMO would be a silly idea for them. Not that they wouldn't be successful.

Riot, on the other hand, could prove to be a real competitve entity toward Blizzard in the Future. Right now Blizzard's edge is that they are so very adaptitive to the changes in the gaming scene and near pioneers when it comes to creating new genres amd content. We are unsure what the future holds for Riot, but they do have a MASSIVE international following like Blizzard did with Original Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo.

Now lets look at the most disappointing failure in the MMO market genre, Destiny.
    Destiny was one of the console-only attempts at MMO, the first few weeks it could have had WoW-equivalent presence, almost monopolistic, on the console MMO market. But after a few more weeks it became apparent that there was simply not enough content available or available soon. Brings me to the issue that most MMOs seems to have - even WoW.

Content! What is enticing about 'your' MMO and what's gonna keep me playing it over, WoW. A lot of the newer games always fall flat on the content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    I also like playing ESO and SWTOR from time to time. I don't play FFXIV anymore but I hear it's getting tons of stuff as well. WoD is really lacking compared to the updates these games are getting.
    I think its becuase WoD released unfinished, sadly. Think of 6.0 like pre-patch (Ruby Sanctum) and 6.1 the true release of WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Well, they are doing something right to be a 10 year old game, sub based still and growing back to 10Million subscribers. Just because everyone is copying WoW doesn't mean wow isn't doing something different. And sure, the gear is not different between rift, ToR, or WoW, but wow has been around longer and doing it longer.

And I base fun on if they were able to keep or have a lot of current players. Most of the MMO's out there do not fall in the fun category. Tera is fun, but it gets shafted on content being way to slow. I can't play a game like that where its mother land gets content so much sooner then everyone else, making everyone else feel like they are second class.

While WoW may not be doing much different, that is simply because everyone tries to mimic WoW.

the bold basically turns into basing Fun on sub count...

just throwing that out there....

edit:

*sigh* I basically lump that idea of 'fun' in with trying to base restaurant food quality on servings per day. Then claiming McDonald's has better burgers than Johnny Rockets or Red Robin.

WoW has had awesome advertising though, existed in a time when other major MMO's were making some stupid, retarded... mistakes (I.E. CU/NGE level mistakes) and has stuck around somehow (I still don't know why), but people are hooked and will stay hooked and ignore other choices simply because of player count....
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2015-01-25 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilma View Post
    One thing WoW had at the beginning was a following from Original Warcraft and it also was one of the earliest MMOs out there. Game companies are trying to get toes into a 10 year old market with no previous player investment from past games.
    Not entirely true. ESO has a massive following from their single player games. However, that was proven to not be the game winning factor since they too are going F2P very soon (they announced it themselves).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    the bold basically turns into basing Fun on sub count...

just throwing that out there....
    Well, its a great indicator wouldn't you agree? If it has a lot of players, then its worth checking out. If it started with a lot but lost the vast majority of them, then it may not be all that worth it.

For example, the ESO started with a lot. However, its now going f2p. Would it be worth it to check it out? Maybe. But to me, not worth it enough to buy the game itself and then starting in march, have to pay for each DLC. Since it obviously failed to keep its goal player base.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

This is one of many threads created solely to bash WoW. Not to mention that some parts of OP are objectively wrong. It's true that popularity doesn't equal quality. That also means when WoW had more subscribers doesn't mean it was better.

If you wanna make legit comparison then put in some effort and laid out PVE and PVP contents of each game to compare them.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2015-01-25 at 04:07 AM.

World of Warcraft is the McDonalds of MMORPGs
    • Has the most customers
    • Your content is delivered conveniently through the drive-thru
    • Everything is well designed
    • The experience is streamlined
    • There's a lot of stuff on the menu
    • You know it's bad for you but damn it tastes so fucking good
    • Even the coffee is good
    • You hate that Monopoly facebook game they have but you can't help but get a large coke every time you pass because you might get Boardwalk Boulevard

Rift is like the Wendy's of MMORPGs
    • All the same stuff as World of Warcraft
    • But they will get a little experimental and throw a Preztel Bun Burger on the menu from time to time
    • Has a similar menu to McDonalds, but some stuff you just would prefer over McDonalds every now and then (Soul class system and Planar Advancement, maybe some Adventures and Chronicles)

GW2 is the gourment burger joint in the city of MMORPGs
    • Totally different
    • You love the artistic touch of everything, and it tastes interesting, but it's not quite as good as the ole McDouble
    • They give you a good burger they probably worked really hard on (you can tell by the parsley garnish), but it's not packaged as well and is usually stacked up really tall so it makes it a pain to eat

EQ is like the locally owned Bob's burgers that's been in your town before McDonalds was ever around ... of MMORPGs
    • You gotta go back once and a while for the memories
    • When you go back it always tastes worse than you remember
    • You can't believe it but that guy you used to see there 13 years ago still goes there and actually sits in the same spot
    • Everyone is nicer for some reason
    • You can't believe some of the shit they have on the menu now

ESO is like the Long John Silvers that put burgers on the menu but needs to just go back to making fish sandwiches of MMORPGs

10+ Year Old Account
    I felt unmotivated to do the achievements o unlock Nat and the buildings I dont use. More or less I was just cycling over 3 characters to refresh missions from the garrison. I actually ended up making a new rogue because that class has always been my favorite leveling experience. But I couldnt validate subbing just to do 3 char minigames and leveling my like 5th rogue. So I went back to lotro, much much slower pace and I read all the stories. The deed system feels more rewarding than WoW's achievements and I take it at my own pace. No waiting weeks to go to the second wing or have to wait a week so I can get some more legendary rocks for a quest.

This is my personal opinion of wow. But as someone who has played for many many years i'm bored stupid of the game. This latest Xpac offered nothing new that peaked my interest and made me say "I can't wait to try that out!". Sure we've got garrisons... YAY. So much fun... NOT.

My problem is i'm just plain burned out. I couldn't give a stuff about progression raiding, LFR, Alts, Gearing, Dungeons, Loremaster, Questing, Achievements, Garrison, Legendary, PVP, Rep grind, Old content etc etc... The more I think about WoW the more I realise that maybe i've just been playing far too long. I'm sure WoD is a great expansion but i'm just so bored of the game as a whole I can't enjoy it which I suspect may be the issue that many people are having

Though rather than go on the forums and QQ "ZOMG THIS XPAC SO LAAAME! SO BORED! EVERYONE SHOULD HATE THIS GAME BECAUSE I DO" I do what any smart rational person would do and unsubbed and don't go back until (if) something interesting is released which isn't going to happen in the near future from what I can see of the latest patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    Patch trailer for XIVs 2.5
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj3hGDaDZqI

I would genuinely like to hear details as to what makes WOW MILES better than any MMORPGs out there?

As for New Players in XIV, there is a symbol that shows up next to the player's name. Which only shows for 4 weeks, and does not appear even when making alt character on that same Account.

As for Awards:

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=33558
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...ostPageIndex=4 ( Won Best MMO )
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12...f-2013-awards/ ( MMO of the year)
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ial-Award.html
    http://zantetsuken.net/news/ffxiv-up...y-choice-award ( Community choice award)
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...al-Fantasy-XIV

Wish I could find the post XIV Devs put on their blogs listing every single award and nominations they have won and received.

Cannot find the post of the sub numbers, but from someone I know who's met and interviewed Yoshida at Gamescon/FanFest told me that they at that time had a total of 900.000 concurrent unique accounts logged into the game at any given time of day, and if they counted the ones who only logged in every other day, the number would be over a million, and active accounts was 2.4. and that was back in September 2014 during FanFest London.

I personally have no issues of people playing WOW as im sure it provides them with the enjoyment they seek. What I do tend to get a little peeved at is when those WOW players calls other games crap and nothing can come near WOW. And when asking them to explain in details so I can find out if they truly HAVE played XIV etc, they usually reply with snarky remarks. I even asked them to tell me what some of the name of Bosses, and their mechanics.

And this:
    What's funny is you're willing to take them at their word but then don't believe anything Blizzard says. As for "faster content cycles," value of that content has to be figured into the equation as well. I'd rather do one well-done story-driven questline in WoW versus an entire zone of loosely linked quests that don't tell a coherent story.

I have played WOW from 2005 - 2011, and I have never been drawn into a game's story more than XIVs. The last ones in Patch 2.5. .Before the Fall, was very well written. Cutscenes I have seen when trying WOD for a month, is also not as well done as XIV.

Cannot wait for Chocobo Racing, Triple Triad card games to waste my time on WOW lacks fun stuff like that when you are not in a Raid etc.Garrisons was not much fun to me personally. The Hildibrand sidequest line is some of the funniest moments in gaming ive had in a long time. Search Youtube for XIV Hildibrand and look
    You're not alone, trust me. I'm still a huge Blizzard fan and I've played WoW for 10+ years straight (yes, even got that crappy statue and sold it :P ) and still love the game, but I am finally over it and not a WoW zombie anymore. When it comes to raiding, Blizzard gets that right (barely as the rest of the game barely has any meaningful decent gear progression outside of that in other venues), but when it comes to everything else, Square-Enix just outclasses the fuck out of them with FFXIV. I still think they need to simplify materia and glamours though, as they feel overly complicated for what they accomplish compared to oither MMOs that do the same thing in a few clicks (WoW, TERA, Rift, etc) without relying on other players for the items.

WoD will be the first WoW expansion I actually unsubscribe from at some point though. Still salty about having my 10-man heroics taken away from me and forced to raid with 20 people just because (still hope this fails and they go back to smaller raid sizes again as class balanced ultimately means shit tbh). Also, still mad that raids are the main PVE focus in WoW and that we'll never get amazing 5-mans back along the lines of Magister's Terrace, Argent Tourney, and the ICC 5-mans.

Also, to the people that mentioning WoW's sub numbers, yeah, so, what of them? Just because you have more people playing doesn't make it a very good game (note, I'm not calling WoW a bad game, just making an example) TBH. That's like comparing a cheap burger joint that sells more cheap shit to more people versus a mom and pop steak/chicken/slider joint that makes the most amazing food at a decent price that tastes much better. If a few of these current MMOs were released around the same time as WoW, WoW would be NOWHERE near its current sub numbers. They got lucky at the time, simple as that.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    6.1 has less content than
    ESO update 6
    Wildstar 1.2
    Rift 3.1
    ect. WoD launched great, but with a patch like this I feel it will soon be in the same state as cataclysm.
    Comparing 1.6 to 6.1 is kind of unfair honestly, 1.3 would be a better comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamortykins View Post
    the subscriber base of each of these combined is still less than wow's subscriber base
    I once heard the Justin Bieber was the undisputed king of Rap and Pop because he was extremely popular.

Argument works nowhere else in the logical world, there is no reason for it to work in the case of World of Warcraft and other MMO's. WoW is shit, has been shit and will probably continue to be shit with the way the developers keep talking.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    I once heard the Justin Bieber was the undisputed king of Rap and Pop because he was extremely popular.

Argument works nowhere else in the logical world, there is no reason for it to work in the case of World of Warcraft and other MMO's. WoW is shit, has been shit and will probably continue to be shit with the way the developers keep talking.
    You are not actually logical too lol.

- - - Updated - - -

As for Awards:

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=33558
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...ostPageIndex=4 ( Won Best MMO )
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12...f-2013-awards/ ( MMO of the year)
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ial-Award.html
    http://zantetsuken.net/news/ffxiv-up...y-choice-award ( Community choice award)
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...al-Fantasy-XIV

Wish I could find the post XIV Devs put on their blogs listing every single award and nominations they have won and received.
    I am pretty sure WoW has won shit tons of awards too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not going to read all this thread besides the first three. But already have a quick opinion.

Wow is not the best mmo out there....from a innovative stand point. It's not and probably never will be. This is where literally almost every other mmo will always beat wow.
    But in that regard wow has this strange assimilation technique it's been doing since swtor came out. It watches the completion and takes what worked with the game and makes it's own. Note I don't play every mmo out there but it doesn't take a genius to see the pattern.

Now the great things about wow and you can't deny them are very simple. It had a very very very good prequel in the term of the strategy games. There are only two mmos that have a story to then I'm aware that was before thier mmos. GW2 and swtor. Ppl may say wows lore is bad but it was a big hook in the BEGINING.
    Second is its community. Yes we bitch and moan but guess 6/10 of those complaining will be there for atleast another month, mainly because there are things most can't part with. To an extent AA created a golden ticket with thier very very horribly done but effective housing. Blizz has this with most of its players, there is something they deep down can't let go of yet.

But these are my opinions I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    You can't compare WoW to any other MMORPG, because WoW itself is MILES ahead of any MMORPG out there.
    And yes i played them, and hell yes, if you compare them to the king WoW, then they are nothing but garbage.
    You can't. More people play other mmos than play wow so i guess plenty of people consider wow to be the garbage.

I don't think wow does anything the best anymore but they do do everything pretty well. Then they nick the best things from every other mmo and that is how they sit at the top of the sub based mmo mountain still.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamortykins View Post
    the subscriber base of each of these combined is still less than wow's subscriber base
    It doesnt make tham worse games then WoW. Just becouse WoW popular casual *** doesnt make it good game. Specialy MMO games with lower population are far more advance and better games then WoW ever be. Becouse they do not cutter game for masses to create bigger profit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    You can't compare WoW to any other MMORPG, because WoW itself is MILES ahead of any MMORPG out there.
    And yes i played them, and hell yes, if you compare them to the king WoW, then they are nothing but garbage.
    Only thing what WoW does better is marketing and cuttering game for masses which by nature slowly detroy soul of the game and game itself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wachimingo View Post
    gw2 is the best mmorpg if you only care about pvp.
    sure thing buddy, two modes, handful of maps and class balance so bad that only like 3 classes are viable is surely great PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    This. WoD is the most money I've wasted on any game in years. I had 100% completion within a week, that was without rested + playing with someone else + only playing a couple of hours a night. It took me longer to get through one zone in ESO. I managed to sustain myself an extra month by doing old content, but that was also very short lived. I had 'caught up' on everything worthwhile I felt I missed since I quit 3.5 years ago within that month. I saw no incentive in 6.1 to continue to pay to be bored, so I unsubbed.

Frankly, I've been 'spoiled' by other MMOs that over dynamic worlds, something I feel WoW is sorely missing. As someone not particularly interested in instanced content I've decided perhaps WoW just isn't the MMO for me anymore. Seems to be great for raiders, not so much for anyone else (PvE wise).
    I am interested in instanced content, however let's look at dungeons in the previous expansion that i mostly skipped we got complete sets of gear for doing all challenge modes a great incentive for even those who generally don't bother with it to go for it, now that they feel CM's have been rooted in enough we get a single or at most 2 slot skins. That's a rather large reduction regardless how you look at it.
    I actually cleared NM and Heroic and my group is working on Mythic while the progress is less than i would've liked, this is conclusion would've been the same if i were further ahead in Mythic.

There doesn't seem to be that much activities to actually do something, you have your garrison missions and work orders that get you to log in frequently outside of raids. In MoP you at least had an absurd amount of dailies but they actually had you doing something, now you have a single daily quest for a resource that gets you a few mounts but the gear from it isn't really worth getting and there's a few reputations that are simply grinds and honestly i prefered a series amount of dailies over a mind numbing "let's go kill the same thing for hours"

Now a few months ago i left wildstar due to being stuck in well there not being anything else to do besides raids and i find myself to be again in that same situation, i don't mind raids i like raids i like sitting a few hours in a raid with a group but if it's just that, i don't find there's that much to do. I caught myself mostly trying to solo older content on a mage then being occupied with new content. I also can't seem to manage to level another alt to 100 as i find having a few 90's+ the logging between alts to do garrison things already mildly irritating.

At least in wildstar i enjoyed the combat, here if i want to level an alt i really put on netflix on my other screen. The only reason i'm sticking around is to not abandon my raid group and making them lose another higher damage dealer, however how long i can bring up this loyality is another thing.

If 6.1 PTR content wise is representative of whats to come content wise, and we are suppose to only get 2 patches that have raid additions as those always come with other content and then i'm expected to already pay another 60 euros for the next expansion. This will be me final exit, as to me it seems the amount of content we get has been gradually reducing and directly linked with other projects blizzard is working on.

With ESO going B2P, and i expect Wildstar to go B2P while i rather pay the classical sub, i won't pay it for a game that gives me barely any content updates, regardless of how polished the content we get is.

Quote Originally Posted by Huoyue View Post
    But now we have many comparable MMO: EVE, FFXIV, Tera, LotRO, RIFT and so on. MMO with a lot of content. Great PvP, great PvE, many can be played on toasters, well polished, and constant content.
    Each and every one of those is missing something you listed as positive points for WoW which is why none of those are comparable really. Lack of polish and lack of "endgame" PvE content are the biggest problems for competition and are the two things WoW does best.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is better just due to the fact that other MMOs making the same mistakes WoW did years ago.

I prefer seeing fresh new mistakes instead of what I have seen 5-9 years ago (Wildstar for example, "lol guys let's make attunements and 40 man raids! Hardcorreee!!... Guys? Wait! We were joking, raids down to 20 man and attunement nerfed, please get back... pleaaasseee!").