Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Mechanical keyboards: worth it?

I need a new keyboard, and I've tried out mechanicals but never in a serious gaming setting. Just for general typing.
    Well, I take that back. I had a black widow and returned it the same day for my own reasons.

I've seen the K70 RGB and I REALLLLLLLY want it. But I don't know if I should actually go for an expensive mechanical keyboard I'm seeing, or just settle for a random G105?

What is the true difference on a gaming point of view?

yes they are worth it. I got my daskeyboard almost 2 years now and I love it. I hate typing on anything else

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the K65RGB and I fucking love it for gaming. Typing, not so much. the Reds are too damned sensitive for my mongoloid fingers.
    Definitely worth it though

True difference?
    General durability, precise and accurate actuation - and actuates before you bottom out.

I have two mechanical keyboards that I use. They are both great in their own right. One (CM Storm QuickFire TK) with blue switches and one (O-Zone Strike, identical to Steelseries 6v2) with black switches.
    Both feel very different and I like both very much. I do not appreciate the mushiness and general feel of the rubber dome keyboards at all anymore.

I don't really see an issue with the K70 RGB apart from price. I'd personally opt for a CM Storm QuickFire TK again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ducky Shine 4!!
    Got one for my brother as a birthday gift and I've messed around with it a bit, it's great.

They are great but I wouldn't base my buying decisions off of seeing a keyboard and thinking "ohh shiny colors!! I WANT IT".
    If you didn't like the Razer keyboard you returned because of the way it felt, maybe get a different kind of switch (the Black Widow had Cherry MX Blue switches unless it was the 2014, then it either had a switch that is like the Blue or one that is like Cherry MX Brown switches).

I own 3 mechanical keyboards with different switches and I love them all for different reasons, all personal preference though.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

10+ Year Old Account
    I love my k90. I paid a little extra over the k60 at the time because I prefer to work in a fairly dim room, and the backlighting was a nice bonus, and at the time, the k90 was one of the only mechanicals with that feature. It's been fantastic, though. I dumped an entire cola over this board about two years ago, unplugged it, rinsed it with distilled water after taking the keys off, let it air-dry, and there's been no issues with it since. Between writing a novel, working on several projects, and now with grad school, the keyboard gets a lot of workout above and beyond what "normal usage" might mean for someone who writes e-mails occasionally and games a bit, and the keyboard's a champ.

Whether it's worth it is going to come down to two things; how much money do you have to spend, and how much do you type? If money's no object, no reason not to go mechanical, especially since they work out to be not that overwhelmingly expensive if you consider their lifespan compared to membrane keyboards. Otherwise, if you're just playing relatively casually (by which I mean you aren't competitive enough to be making a living off sponsorships as a gamer), you aren't going to see any real gameplay advantage, so the main reason I'd suggest a mechanical is the typing experience. If you write a lot, they're great.

I have a question to anyone that owns a blackwidow ultimate or black widow chroma. I was going to get the chroma, because the lights are awesome on it, but I was kind of wanting to get it tonight at the store, and I can get just the black widow ultimate there. Is there any difference really besides the colors?

I wish they'd just reintroduce the merc stealth keyboards. That keyboard was fucking beast. But mine broke after 2 years of solid gaming.

I bought 4 off ebay just to have backups. I wish they'd just start making them again though.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    I have a question to anyone that owns a blackwidow ultimate or black widow chroma. I was going to get the chroma, because the lights are awesome on it, but I was kind of wanting to get it tonight at the store, and I can get just the black widow ultimate there. Is there any difference really besides the colors?
    No, the backlighting is the only difference. If you like the clicky keys (the current BWU and Chrima use 'Razer Green' switches which are knockoffs of the Cherry MX Blue switches they used previously. Blues are best for typing (they have the loud click and a tactile bump when they actuate, making it easy to know when theyve actuated and allowing you to stop before bottoming out the keys), and are fine for gaming, though a lot of gamers preffer Cherry MX Reds (no click or bump and require the least actuation of any Mechanical switch).

If youre in the market for individual backlit, check out the Corsair K65RGB or K70RGB. I have the K65 RGB, and its great. Ima firm believer in tenkeyless (no numpad) - it actually is better for arm/shoulder stress because it moves your mouse in closer, so your arms arent spread as far apart) - you dont really realize how little you use the numpad till its gone and you dont miss it.

Not to piggyback this thread, but I currently use a Logitech G110 (obviously NOT mechanical) and I've been looking to upgrade to a mechanical keyboard. Does anyone have a Logitech G710 or G910 and would you recommend either? Reeeeeeally looking at the 910 and I hear both are fairly quiet compared to most others (and switch noise is a HUGE issue for me, so it needs to be fairly quiet!).

PS: If not Logitech, please do not recommend Razer products to me. Personal preference and grudges with them over horrible customer service.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Not to piggyback this thread, but I currently use a Logitech G110 (obviously NOT mechanical) and I've been looking to upgrade to a mechanical keyboard. Does anyone have a Logitech G710 or G910 and would you recommend either? Reeeeeeally looking at the 910 and I hear both are fairly quiet compared to most others (and switch noise is a HUGE issue for me, so it needs to be fairly quiet!).

PS: If not Logitech, please do not recommend Razer products to me. Personal preference and grudges with them over horrible customer service.
    G710: Amazing keyboard. A good place to start for people who want a lot of features in their keyboard like back lighting and macro keys. The brown switches feel great and the dampening rings on the keycaps keep my wife from complaining about them too much. In terms of a non traditional "regular" mechanical keyboard, this is my favorite hands down.

G910: The polar opposite of the above. The keycap shape is just inexcusable and I think whoever designed that should find a new job. The romer-g keyswitches have a dead feel with a key-press that is so close to how a rubber dome keyboard feels, I wouldn't have guessed it as a mechanical keyboard if I didn't know it was. The LEDs are cool but if this is the main reason you are buying one, I would look at the Corsair RBG or even the Razer RGB. The G910 is a complete flop and is the worst mechanical keyboard on the market right now. This is coming from a 12 year hardcore Logitech fanboy too.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    G710: Amazing keyboard. A good place to start for people who want a lot of features in their keyboard like back lighting and macro keys. The brown switches feel great and the dampening rings on the keycaps keep my wife from complaining about them too much. In terms of a non traditional "regular" mechanical keyboard, this is my favorite hands down.
    Would you say it's pretty worth it overall though? I guess a bit more information in what I'm looking for would help:

- Key presses have to be moderately quiet: I know most mechanical keyboards are these loud machines of death, especially when you're playing games with voice chat involved, and I also stay up fairly late while people are asleep, so if they can't sleep due to my taps, that'd be pretty bad.
    - At least basic LED-lighting: Which I know the G710 has at least this; the 110 has it and the 710 is just a mechanical 110
    - Must have anti-ghosting: Which, well, if a mechanical keyboard didn't have, it'd be an oxymoron, wouldn't it?

So yeah, I don't need anything super fancy mechanical keyboard-wise (trying to spend under $200), just want to upgrade from standard keyboards that I know will be durable and awesome. Feel free to suggest any other < $200 keyboards btw (AS LONG AS IT'S NOT RAZER! Cannot trust them after being burned multiple times with dead Nagas and no customer service!)

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    G910: The polar opposite of the above. The keycap shape is just inexcusable and I think whoever designed that should find a new job. The romer-g keyswitches have a dead feel with a key-press that is so close to how a rubber dome keyboard feels, I wouldn't have guessed it as a mechanical keyboard if I didn't know it was. The LEDs are cool but if this is the main reason you are buying one, I would look at the Corsair RBG or even the Razer RGB. The G910 is a complete flop and is the worst mechanical keyboard on the market right now. This is coming from a 12 year hardcore Logitech fanboy too.
    Really? That's very disappointing I liked the LEDs, but it's by no means mandatory. I mean, I'm using the G110, which has literally the same shape as the G710, and it only has Blue/Red-Purple color choices, but it's more than enough. I just wanted to splurge a bit if I were to buy a mechanical and make sure that I'll end up happy. Sucks to hear the 910 flopped!

PS: Also a Logitech fanboy myself. After being burned with THREE fucking Razer Nagas in under 1.5 years, I was ecstatic when I heard the Logitech G600 mouse was going to be an MMO mouse. Instantly ordered one when I discovered it: Still using it over 2.5 years later, though my middle click and G7 button are a bit wonky, but at least my mouse isn't triple clicking or flat out breaking like the Nagas were!
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2015-01-25 at 06:56 AM.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

No! Waste of $...unless you want broken keys. Get the G105.

Shit yes it's worth it. I'm using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...eapmechakey-20 and I'll never look back.

Would you say it's pretty worth it overall though? I guess a bit more information in what I'm looking for would help:

- Key presses have to be moderately quiet: I know most mechanical keyboards are these loud machines of death, especially when you're playing games with voice chat involved, and I also stay up fairly late while people are asleep, so if they can't sleep due to my taps, that'd be pretty bad.
    - At least basic LED-lighting: Which I know the G710 has at least this; the 110 has it and the 710 is just a mechanical 110
    - Must have anti-ghosting: Which, well, if a mechanical keyboard didn't have, it'd be an oxymoron, wouldn't it?

So yeah, I don't need anything super fancy mechanical keyboard-wise (trying to spend under $200), just want to upgrade from standard keyboards that I know will be durable and awesome. Feel free to suggest any other < $200 keyboards btw (AS LONG AS IT'S NOT RAZER! Cannot trust them after being burned multiple times with dead Nagas and no customer service!)

Really? That's very disappointing I liked the LEDs, but it's by no means mandatory. I mean, I'm using the G110, which has literally the same shape as the G710, and it only has Blue/Red-Purple color choices, but it's more than enough. I just wanted to splurge a bit if I were to buy a mechanical and make sure that I'll end up happy. Sucks to hear the 910 flopped!

PS: Also a Logitech fanboy myself. After being burned with THREE fucking Razer Nagas in under 1.5 years, I was ecstatic when I heard the Logitech G600 mouse was going to be an MMO mouse. Instantly ordered one when I discovered it: Still using it over 2.5 years later, though my middle click and G7 button are a bit wonky, but at least my mouse isn't triple clicking or flat out breaking like the Nagas were!
    The G710 is pretty quiet... for a Mechanical keyboard. Keep in mind that they are ALL very loud compared to non-mechanical ones. That said, a Mechanical keyboard is well worth it if you like how they feel. They have a much better response to typing/clicking buttons than non-mechanical ones, though some don't like that part about them.

As for using Razer Naga products... don't. It's a brand more for it's.. look, rather than quality. Personally I prefer a mouse with 2 thumb buttons and nothing else extra. Clicking extra buttons on your mouse just sacrifices precision. (At least if you ask me.)
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    It's because of that thing you did that one time. We know. (source)

Quote Originally Posted by Serzha View Post
    The G710 is pretty quiet... for a Mechanical keyboard. Keep in mind that they are ALL very loud compared to non-mechanical ones. That said, a Mechanical keyboard is well worth it if you like how they feel. They have a much better response to typing/clicking buttons than non-mechanical ones, though some don't like that part about them.
    Never once used a mechanical so I have NO idea if I like them or not! I'm just assuming, well, it's what every tech-gamer does XD

As for using Razer Naga products... don't. It's a brand more for it's.. look, rather than quality. Personally I prefer a mouse with 2 thumb buttons and nothing else extra. Clicking extra buttons on your mouse just sacrifices precision. (At least if you ask me.)
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO TELL ME TWICE! FUCK Razer. I'm soooo thankful Logitech made the G600 so I could swap from the Naga to it (because after playing with the Naga, I simply CANNOT use a non-keypad mouse for WoW anymore, I just can't!)

Never once used a mechanical so I have NO idea if I like them or not! I'm just assuming, well, it's what every tech-gamer does XD

YOU DON'T HAVE TO TELL ME TWICE! FUCK Razer. I'm soooo thankful Logitech made the G600 so I could swap from the Naga to it (because after playing with the Naga, I simply CANNOT use a non-keypad mouse for WoW anymore, I just can't!)
    The G710 is the least mechanical mechanical keyboard you can get.. so if you have the money spare to test it, it's the most quiet and "familiar" keyboard you can probably get, of the mechanical variant.
    It is still a mechanical keyboard though, and while quieter than other mechanical ones, you will still damned well hear it when you type. It's not all that SHARP of a noise though, compared to other mechanical ones... a more dulled sound.
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    It's because of that thing you did that one time. We know. (source)

The G710 is the least mechanical mechanical keyboard you can get.. so if you have the money spare to test it, it's the most quiet and "familiar" keyboard you can probably get, of the mechanical variant.
    It is still a mechanical keyboard though, and while quieter than other mechanical ones, you will still damned well hear it when you type. It's not all that SHARP of a noise though, compared to other mechanical ones... a more dulled sound.
    See, the sounds of a mechanical keyboard is why I'm so hesitant to buy one. Granted, my keyboard tray tends to clatter around sometimes due to being a bit... well, unhinged... from the desk, so that could mask the sound of it a bit...

Not all mechanical keyboards are loud. Anything with a tactile bump will be louder, because the bump is made by a part of the switch that clicks when you push past it. Anything with an MX Blue will be loud because it ALSO has a deliberate audible "click" when you hit the actuation point (same goes for Razer's Green switches, which are just chinese knock offs of MX Blues)

However a lot of switches dont have either; Cherry MX Reds are no louder (to me at least) than any non-chiclet membrane key with a lot of travel. Most of the noise comes when you bottom out the keys - once you learn where the actuation point is, though, you will learn not to bottom out the keys.

There are half a dozen different switch types by Cherry (or even more), and some manufacturers offer their keyboards with your choice of switch.

Ducky manufactures boards with all of the major types (Black, Red, Brown, Blue), and Razer offers two analogues (Razer Green = MX Blue, Razer Orange = MX Black). If you shop around, you can find whatever you're looking for. I know Cooler Master also makes most of their boards in a selection of switch types, Corsair tends to only use Red (or sometimes Black), as Reds are billed as a "gaming" switch (straight linear actuation with no tactile bump and no click noise, also the least actuation force needed).

I prefer blues for typing and have come to like the reds on my Corsair K65RGB a great deal when gaming. (and i have a Razer Black Widow Tournament Edition with MX blues for my 'daily driver' Mac and the K65RGB for my gaming rig)

A good primer on switch types:

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index...ical-switches/