Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

feels like blizzard is retconing ogres

Im thinking blizzard is gona retcon the ogre race like they did to the draenei, and make a more gentle/smaller ogre race for the player base.
    Reasons im thinking this.
    Ogres currently digging up magical relics from the first Ogres civilization(what happen to the first civilization?)
    there are items at these digsites that transform the player into ogrons, what if the oringal ogres were all transform/corrupted into ogron and are slowly losing that corruption.
    It also feels like there are some old gods here on the drenor who coulda done the corruption.
    Players are constantly asking for a ogre race to be playable.

Blizzard also loves to steal ideas from other games/books(every company does) so why not steal alittle lore from the the dragonlance series(where the exact same thing happen) a sword from the dragonlance series was used to corrupted the ogres race in book and you find a similar werid sword floating in some ogre ruins(broken precipice)

Why another stupid brute race.

We already have orcs.

I know a lot of people would like Ogres but there is lore on them you know? They have a common ancestor, the Colossus, whose children split off into two species, the Gronns and the Magnaron. The Gronns gave rise to more offshoots in their offspring which are the Ogrons, and then finally the youngest species, Ogres. There are other ways to make it possible to have Ogre's as playable. your idea of corruption is ehh, missing the mark. I like how you think though. But I like the evolution of these races better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard, being the large company with many heads to it, falls under the same problems that other big fictional creators do, when you have several different writers and developers, they eventually stop agreeing on the same ideas and try to inject there on take on those ideas, even if its against the original creators ideas.

We've seen it countless times in companies like marvel comics, dc, other gaming companies, tv shows and so on, such as when one original writer makes a character the comical aspect of the team of superheroes, only for a later writer to make that character suffer a tragic loss and become a dark, brooding mess of a character.

And no, this isn't so much as 'progression' in the story, this is where multiple different ideas get thrown around and make a mess of characters instead of having a more assure and loyal path to that characters ideals. The same here goes for warcraft characters, infact we see a lot of this in warlords where we're seeing certain lore figures we've known for years from the past warcraft lore now becoming part of the story again, some of them are loyal to there original concepts (Gul'dan, kargath), others seem to just be going off to whatever the current writer and developer wants them to be, and fuck the original premise of that character (Ner'zhul, Grommash).

There was no heavy backstory on the Ogres, so the devs here decided to piss around and change them about, all while using the excuse 'its a different past timeline, anything goes"

Deleted
    Lol, no one would play that shit. Well maybe not no one, but very few.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Vardra View Post
    Lol, no one would play that shit. Well maybe not no one, but very few.
    Yeah, it's not like people have wanted playable ogres since Vanilla or anything.......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vodkahawk View Post
    I know a lot of people would like Ogres but there is lore on them you know? They have a common ancestor, the Colossus, whose children split off into two species, the Gronns and the Magnaron. The Gronns gave rise to more offshoots in their offspring which are the Ogrons, and then finally the youngest species, Ogres. There are other ways to make it possible to have Ogre's as playable. your idea of corruption is ehh, missing the mark. I like how you think though. But I like the evolution of these races better.
    Pretty sure the Brann files told us that Orcs are ogre offspring.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Yeah, it's not like people have wanted playable ogres since Vanilla or anything.......
    Yes a small percentage wanted playable ogres since vanilla, I won't argue with that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Im thinking blizzard is gona retcon the ogre race like they did to the draenei, and make a more gentle/smaller ogre race for the player base.
    Reasons im thinking this.
    Ogres currently digging up magical relics from the first Ogres civilization(what happen to the first civilization?)
    there are items at these digsites that transform the player into ogrons, what if the oringal ogres were all transform/corrupted into ogron and are slowly losing that corruption.
    God I hope not. I love ogres the way they are, the big dumb brutes. It's fine to give them a little bit more humanization so players will be able to identify them, but I want more Lunks and less Cho'Galls.

Sig by Isilrien

-It is heavily implied that the Ogron are cousins or at least "progenitor" of the Ogres.

In my view it goes like this:
    Giants of Draenor -> Magnaron -> Gronn -> Ogron -> Ogre.

Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    God I hope not. I love ogres the way they are, the big dumb brutes. It's fine to give them a little bit more humanization so players will be able to identify them, but I want more Lunks and less Cho'Galls.
    They are just like that, most of them on Draenor are still dumb, but they are more numerous and are still an empire, hence the smart ones stand out, on Azeroth the few smart Ogres that may exist live in brutish, seperated tribes.

Even Khadgar states that it merely takes a few intelligent Ogres to turn them into a massive army.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    You do know that orcs are smaller ogres they evolved from them. It is true people have been asking them for a long time, but making them smaller and more human is quite pointless, since that ogre relative is already playable.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post

We already have orcs.
    Lol , as much as I love orcs, this here made me laugh

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think orcs evolved directly from ogres, unless it was artificial (some artifact or more powerful beings changing them).

Well, lorewise, we're back in time.

So, what ever current ogres are collecting, you can go to Outland and see what they did with it.

So, in a timeline, it would be weird Ogres are the next playable race.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    I don't think orcs evolved directly from ogres, unless it was artificial (some artifact or more powerful beings changing them).
    It was more or less canonized in the last issue of the warcraft magazine and it fits the evolution of ogres perfectly.

Deleted
    Did they change anything about the ogres? I know they now seem to be descended from ogron, but that's not a retcon.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post

We already have orcs.
    The Ogres on Alternate Universe Draenor seem pretty smart. Imperator is a boss-level arcane mage.

I see no retcon - just that ogres on AU Draenor are smarter than those on Orignial Universe Azeroth & Draenor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruncholyo View Post
    The Ogres on Alternate Universe Draenor seem pretty smart. Imperator is a boss-level arcane mage.
    I imagine the Gorian Empire is a small group of intelligent, magically gifted Ogre mages ruling over vast hordes of dumb brutes.

Deleted
    Ever wondered about their horns? I noticed that most if not all WoD ogres that have had their horns chopped off, are a lot dumber than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruncholyo View Post
    Smart Ogres have always been the exception to the rule, which is true in the AU as well, in the MU the Shadow council most likely got rid off the smart ones, to rule the brutes themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    It was more or less canonized in the last issue of the warcraft magazine and it fits the evolution of ogres perfectly.
    I dunno, orcs seem to lack layers, so they can be that closely related to ogres.

Ever wondered about their horns? I noticed that most if not all WoD ogres that have had their horns chopped off, are a lot dumber than the others.
    By god, they are like unicorns !!! I wonder if you can make some wicked drugs healthy medicine out of that horn.