15+ Year Old Account

Tank playstyle question

Is there anyway someone could give me a quick run down on tank playstyles in this game? I was going to post in the Official forums, but I don't ahve access for some reason. Really if you could compare them to WoW tank classes, that would help me understand as I always keep my WoW tanks at max level so I can be familiar with them all since WoW is my main game.

A simple:
    - Prot warrior is most like 'X' class
    - Blood DK is most like 'X' class ...... (you catch my drift)

My favorite tanking class in WoW, playstyle wise are the Blood DK and Prot Warrior if that helps. Very different from each other, but I like them.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Deleted
    It's been a while, but at launch, the Jedi Knight tank was pretty much exactly a cut and paste rip off of the old WoW protection warrior. Old, as in before the new talent trees (when there were 51 points, or whatever). Virtually every JK ability was a mirror of the protection warrior abilities. So, as a WoW vet, it felt right at home to me. You have a "rage" type resource mechanic, you charge, you have a frenetic spamming rotation and a big tool box of CDs and special moves etc. Now, WoW has changed since Wrath and Swtor has changed since launch, but I suspect there are still similarities.

I don't know the other two types of tank as well, but the trooper/bounty hunter may be a little like a blood dk, at least their grappling hook resembles a death grip and they seem to have to work less hard to pick up trash (they are not quite a ranged tank, but close to it).

I wouldn't say any of them really mirror a WoW class. The Jugg/Guardian is probably the closest one comes as there are a few similarities to the prot warrior. I don't think they are anywhere near as closely matched as Econ does, but there are similarities (mostly in defensive cooldowns.)

At least right now you really can't go wrong with a powertech/vanguard. The only real similarity to DK is hook basically being a deathgrip, but they are almost always one of the strongest tanks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nice thanks. This will get me started.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
    I don't think they are anywhere near as closely matched as Econ does, but there are similarities (mostly in defensive cooldowns.)
    Not sure if you have seen this:

http://i.imgur.com/kET1L.jpg

No idea how it is now, but at launch, that was pretty much accurate iirc. The guardian tank was a clone of the old wow protection warrior. It was so shameless, I would have sued if I were Blizzard. (NB: I am not complaining - I like protection warriors, so have no problem playing a protection warrior with a light saber)

Yeah, but that's not really how it is today (most of those prot warrior abilities don't even exist anymore or function very differently.) I agree that these are the most closely matched tanks between the 2 games, but I didn't want him to go into SWTOR expecting the guardian to play like the prot warrior. Despite a few similar abilities they play and feel very differently these days. I suppose it depends on when he last played the warrior in WoW.
    Last edited by Treeba; 2015-01-27 at 04:29 AM.

Deleted
    I quite like the Jedi Shadow tank , its maybe a bit like a blood dk with force pull aka death grip , also has a bit of ranged attacks like the force project ( icy touch ) , I had to play the jedi class that could stealth as I play rogue in wow , so its all good

Shadow tank is my favourite as well for the utility and multiple aggro abilities

I played as a Vanguard (Powertech on Empire side) tank for quite a while during Rise of the Hutt Cartel Expansion. It was ok I guess. Nothing really to compare it to in WoW though. It's a unique style of tanking with abilities to use at close, medium, and long range. It was and I think still is, one of the easier and smoother tanking classes to play. And I say smoother as in it took damage and built threat at a constant and controllable rate. Usually didn't have huge spikes of damage like the Assassin/Shadow tanks did. Could also hold aggro pretty well in both single target and AoE situations (Guardians/Juggs use to be the worst in AoE threat, they might still be). Couldn't tell you how Vanguards (or their Empire equivalent, Powertechs) play now, especially with the talent revamp...I stopped playing my tank before the Shadows of Revan expansion because I got bored as fuck with tanking.