Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    They collect more information than they can process right now, but they are keeping it all for a reason - presumably that reason must be that they expect to be able to filter it more effectively / timely in the future.
    I doubt that filtering is the issue. Knowing what they're looking for is the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fexus View Post
    Privacy where it can be expected by a reasonable person is a constitutional right.
    Devil's advocate time. It's widely known that when the authorities detect criminal activity by observation of electromagnetic frequencies, they may record their observation and/or take action. I'm talking about them seeing you walk along the street. Shouldn't the same apply to all electromagnetic activities?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Privacy where it can be expected by a reasonable person is a constitutional right.
    In an age of Big Data, all information is collected - Amazon knows my taste in books, the contents of my back account, their algorithm can predict what I want reasonably accurately. Facebook knows my preference in music or what I find funny, as does Youtube for that matter. All of that information is being stored by corporations about pretty much everyone on the planet already - all the government is doing is also collecting information.

A reasonable person might realize that privacy was forfeit by technology 20 years ago (Carnivore), we maintain only the illusion of anonymity - a polite gesture - but every item on every bill of every bank account you own is thoroughly analyzed by the bank to assess your character and spending behaviour: it knows my favourite beer, my favourite cinema, who I buy presents for, what I buy them and when. If I had that kind of information to study, I'd probably recognize parts of me I don't yet know about myself.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Devil's advocate time. It's widely known that when the authorities detect criminal activity by observation of electromagnetic frequencies, they may record their observation and/or take action. I'm talking about them seeing you walk along the street. Shouldn't the same apply to all electromagnetic activities?
    Are all electromagnetic activities sent on public property?

Deleted
    if anyone wants to have their Iphones securely destroyed I am willing to provide such a service, for a nominal fee of course

They collect more information than they can process right now, but they are keeping it all for a reason - presumably that reason must be that they expect to be able to filter it more effectively / timely in the future.
    They are keeping it for a reason yes, one of the reasons being as per in the leaked Snowden documents, blackmailing people. Or rather, building profiles on certain people with toucy information that can be leaked out in some form or another in case you want to tarnish reputation.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Goobadin View Post
    Are all electromagnetic activities sent on public property?
    The air? Sure.

In an age of Big Data, all information is collected - Amazon knows my taste in books, the contents of my back account, their algorithm can predict what I want reasonably accurately. Facebook knows my preference in music or what I find funny, as does Youtube for that matter. All of that information is being stored by corporations about pretty much everyone on the planet already - all the government is doing is also collecting information.

A reasonable person might realize that privacy was forfeit by technology 20 years ago (Carnivore), we maintain only the illusion of anonymity - a polite gesture - but every item on every bill of every bank account you own is thoroughly analyzed by the bank to assess your character and spending behaviour: it knows my favourite beer, my favourite cinema, who I buy presents for, what I buy them and when. If I had that kind of information to study, I'd probably recognize parts of me I don't yet know about myself.
    You agree to terms of use when you create an Amazon or Facebook account. Also, the government isn't allowed to run unconstitutional programs until it becomes the norm then say, "well people can expect to be monitored." That makes the constitutional right meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    "Let's see what Adam did today online, hmm apparently he logged on Facebook, browsed MMO Champion, looked at dicks, chatted up somebody, played WoW, checked emails and browsed Amazon,"
    Adam also looked up backpacks because he wanted to surprise his youngest son with a fully decked out Batman one.

His oldest son 20 minutes later looked up how to create explosives because he has to write up a report in School about the contents of TNT and describe their chemical compounds.

His wife a hour later looked up a restaurant that belongs to her family for 3 generations not 12 miles away from the White House.

AUTOMATIC ALERT, THIS FAMILY IS TRYING TO SMUGGLE A BACKPACK WITH EXPLOSIVES TO WASHINGTON D.C.

That is how the Government's logic works, especially on automated computer steroids.
    Last edited by Shurkuris; 2015-01-25 at 04:46 PM.

I get a call from my bank about once per week because of an "unusual transaction" that I need to verify. It's usually something I bought online.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurkuris View Post
    Adam also looked up backups because he wanted to surprise his youngest son with a fully decked out Batman one.

His oldest son 20 minutes later looked up how to create explosives because he has to write up a report in School about the contents of TNT and describe their chemical compounds.

His wife a hour later looked up a restaurant that belongs to her family for 3 generations not 12 miles away from the White House.

AUTOMATIC ALERT, THIS FAMILY IS TRYING TO SMUGGLE A BACKPACK WITH EXPLOSIVES TO WASHINGTON D.C.

That is how the Government's logic works, especially on automated computer steroids.
    I don't quite buy into that

10+ Year Old Account
    You agree to terms of use when you create an Amazon or Facebook account. Also, the government isn't allowed to run unconstitutional programs until it becomes the norm then say, "well people can expect to be monitored." That makes the constitutional right meaningless.
    How many people actually read those before accepting it though?

This is obviously a problem with people rather than the way things work but id argue the average agreement contains far too much legal jargon for the average person to bother with, which is a bit of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    How many people actually read those before accepting it though?

This is obviously a problem with people rather than the way things work but id argue the average agreement contains far too much legal jargon for the average person to bother with, which is a bit of a problem.
    That is a problem, but not a constitutional one. Amazon is a private company.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    So your iphones are sending data to the government about you. I destroyed my iphone after reading this.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Sno.../24/id/620541/
    Getting kinda tired of seeing your bullshit threads. You keep posting nonsense crap and acting like you're serious about it.

I do get pissed at all this crap people spout about the "constitution" and the "rights" it gives you

A pity you were not as vocal about it when Guantanamo Bay was set up and people still are held without charge, or trial, for years

A shame you weren't so concerned about the "constitution" and the rights it bestows on people when illegal rendition and torture by the CIA were being carried out

It's ok to kidnap people anywhere in the world, imprison them without trial or legal representation, and torture them

But God forbid anyone should read your fekkin email!

Fucking hypocrites

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    I do get pissed at all this crap people spout about the "constitution" and the "rights" it gives you

A pity you were not as vocal about it when Guantanamo Bay was set up and people still are held without charge, or trial, for years

A shame you weren't so concerned about the "constitution" and the rights it bestows on people when illegal rendition and torture by the CIA were being carried out

It's ok to kidnap people anywhere in the world, imprison them without trial or legal representation, and torture them

But God forbid anyone should read your fekkin email!

Fucking hypocrites
    There are many, many people in America that have been protesting Guantanamo Bay for years. We even elected a president who said he would close it right away.

There are many, many people in America that have been protesting Guantanamo Bay for years. We even elected a president who said he would close it right away.
    Yes, and you continually elect politicians who excuse it, make it "legal" under the "constitution" and carry on doing it!

Says as much about the electorate as it does about the politicians and those who actually do it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    So your iphones are sending data to the government about you. I destroyed my iphone after reading this.
    Meh, you should have just reseted it to factory settings and mailed it to me. While I don't really love iPhones, I could have at least sold it to get a phone I like.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No.

They do not spy on YOU, they honestly do not give a (instert word) about YOU, ME, US.

They use all the data to create profiles and to detect possible links to certain subjects such as terrorism, which is great.

That is all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worth noting that its still open is not Obama's fault either, he tried but got blocked by congress.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    Yes, and you continually elect politicians who excuse it, make it "legal" under the "constitution" and carry on doing it!

Says as much about the electorate as it does about the politicians and those who actually do it
    Do you have anything to add to the discussion at hand other than, "America sucks. Their citizens shouldn't have any rights"?