Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

I don't care about anyone in Overwatch

Why should I? Just because Blizzard said so? Where's the story where they do something interesting and make me interested in them? We're just supposed to skip all that now and just play in some random maps with random nobodies who have zero weight with me? I understand there's a big enough market for that kind of dreck nowadays which is sad, so I guess as predictable as Blizzard is, they just go for the easy money. But I have to believe World of Warcraft was a $10 billion franchise because they laid out the groundwork that made us fall in love with the world and the characters.

By skipping all that hard work - they are just looking for easy money by telling us the characters are cool "trust us, it's awesome" and I'm not buying it.

Deleted
    They're telling the story outside the game, hopefully (as they have hinted at) via web animations and possibly comics and the like. The actual game itself is just an arena to play with the characters, separate from the lore but with some little nods to it put in.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no clue where you are going with this. But okay.
    Last edited by Santti; 2015-01-25 at 05:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's fine by me. Myself and lot's of others on the other hand can't wait for Overwatch and to play the shit out of it.

Okay...I don't see how this post is relevant to overwatch. If you don't care about it, then don't play It?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    First reaction: Okay, that's nice for you.

Second reaction: Not every genre needs some elaborate story. Team Fortress 2's engineer does not have some tragic past.

Third reaction: Haha, thinking World of Warcraft is successful because of its story, when in that department the only thing it's really done is butcher Warcraft's story and lore.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's ok. You don't need to buy the game. It's fine c:

But... I think I know why they don't want a lore-focused game anymore. It's because it's easier.
    Think about it: When Blizzard launches a World of Warcraft expansion, they have to take care of every possible lore deviations that could happen and stuff.
    Sometimes they fail to make the lore "correct", and then we have those anomalies - like Cho'gall with his model having a scar from the MU wars. It's ugly.

Now think more: When Nintendo releases a new Zelda game, they just go "Hey. Let's ress Ganon. Make him corrupt some nobleman from a weird realm. And then we put Link there to save the day!" They don't have to link the game to the past in too much details. Every game is unique on it's own. And it works.

With Overwatch, Blizzard can do something similar. It's new, they can bend whatever lore they decide or not to create! How easy can be that? Lore to base a franchise is good, but sometimes a company must decide between working hard to create a universe full of back-story or just simply make a fun, quick game. Making a world full of lore will not aways make a game more interesting!
    Last edited by A Chozo; 2015-01-25 at 05:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can't have fun playing a game without pretending you're someone important, that's your problem. All that stuff is great but I forget about it when it comes down to it. When you're shooting someone in the face, you're not thinking about all the times your character has shot someone in the face and all the adventures they've been on. You sort of become that character and they sort of just become you...

That being said, they all have a good amount of backstory so far, enough to get me interested in the characters. I don't need to read a 700 page book to like the characters. Sometimes simple works, especially with this type of game. It's a multiplayer FPS. It's about competition and fun more than lore. They've already given much more than the vast majority of shooters out there.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Deleted
    it's okay to not like and not playing a game eh.

10+ Year Old Account
    somehow i doubt many players give a monkeys about the characters in TF2 or LoL , given they and overwatch are the type of pvp orientated games that dont really need anyone to be invested in the characters back storys to be successful. So by all means, if your not interested in it because your expecting some kind of deep story then dont play it, its clearly not for you.

as for if the characters are cool or not, personally i'd be judging that on how they play regardless of how fleshed out their story was or what blizzard told me about them, cause its that type of game, as i'm sure was obvious to anyone who thought about it for more than 5 seconds.
    Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not emotionally invested enough in flappy bird. Something needs to be done about this.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

I feel like this thread just solidifies why gaming is in such a crappy state right now... lowest common denominator works for Blizzard, at least short term it does. You guys will be gone after a month or two of playing, and that's going to be Blizzard's problem. Overwatch will fail because there's nothing there to keep people playing - Team Fortress 2 does this game better, so what's left? Nothing but a hollow experience for a shallow crowd.

I.. It's a shooter. Who even cares? Who plays a multiplayer shooter for the story?

Quote Originally Posted by stgeorge78 View Post
    I feel like this thread just solidifies why gaming is in such a crappy state right now... lowest common denominator works for Blizzard, at least short term it does. You guys will be gone after a month or two of playing, and that's going to be Blizzard's problem. Overwatch will fail because there's nothing there to keep people playing - Team Fortress 2 does this game better, so what's left? Nothing but a hollow experience for a shallow crowd.
    So hows that alpha testing going? I mean you must of had it to know it's worse than TF2 right? You know, the game that barely had any back-story besides like, oh here's red and blus bosses, and demoman and soldier were friends at one point. Everything is just silly one shot comics/videos, and while things like expiration date was pretty amazing, its still no real back story

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like this response just solidifies my view about the current generation of gamers.

If the game is fun, you'll play it. That's what games are made for.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for sharing your opinion on this matter!

But I have to believe World of Warcraft was a $10 billion franchise because they laid out the groundwork that made us fall in love with the world and the characters.

By skipping all that hard work - they are just looking for easy money by telling us the characters are cool "trust us, it's awesome" and I'm not buying it.
    Do you realize how many people completly skip quest texts or even cutscenes? There are many wow players that couldn't care less about the characters as long as they get interesting gameplay in the form of endgame.

Even if that was not true, though. They are not ditching all the other games to develop Overwatch only. There are people that enjoy mostly just fun and accessible gameplay, and the success of Mobas, for instance, is a big proof of that, and that's ok!

There's games for both preferences, so everyone can be happy playing the games they enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Sorcerer View Post
    I feel like this response just solidifies my view about the current generation of gamers.

If the game is fun, you'll play it. That's what games are made for.
    They're looking for an RPG in all the wrong places.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I partly agree, but only partly. I would love a Single Player mode for this game. :\

After looking at the first handful of posts of the OP I've come to the conclusion that he's an angry elf. Methinks a break would be beneficial from forums.