Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I think the game is designed mostly for people, who don't care about story, and just wanna play the game, because of the gameplay. Then the people, who are interested in the characters, can buy additional products.

10+ Year Old Account
    Certain games I play because I care about the characters/lore.

Certain games I play because I just think they're fun and couldn't give a shit less about the story.

Since Overwatch isn't out yet, I don't know which category it will fall under.

What's this have to do with your post you may ask? Good question. I'll answer it with another question. What's your post got to do with ANYTHING?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcon View Post

Certain games I play because I just think they're fun and couldn't give a shit less about the story.

What's this have to do with your post you may ask? Good question. I'll answer it with another question. What's your post got to do with ANYTHING?
    He doesn't care about anyone in Overwatch. Blizzard doesn't actually want to tell a story with the game and that's usually how storytellers get us to care about the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by stgeorge78 View Post
    Why should I? Just because Blizzard said so? Where's the story where they do something interesting and make me interested in them? We're just supposed to skip all that now and just play in some random maps with random nobodies who have zero weight with me? I understand there's a big enough market for that kind of dreck nowadays which is sad, so I guess as predictable as Blizzard is, they just go for the easy money. But I have to believe World of Warcraft was a $10 billion franchise because they laid out the groundwork that made us fall in love with the world and the characters.

By skipping all that hard work - they are just looking for easy money by telling us the characters are cool "trust us, it's awesome" and I'm not buying it.
    If you play League of Legends, then there is no room to complain. If you don't, I understand where you're coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Larryg121 View Post
    If you play League of Legends, then there is no room to complain. If you don't, I understand where you're coming from.
    To be fair, this quote was enough even if they don't play LoL

Team Fortress 2 does this game better, so what's left?
    TF2 literally has the bare minimums of story behind it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't either, haven't even bothered to watch the trailer for it.
    I heard "Kinda like team fortress" and bailed instantly.

I care about Tracer because she's my waifu. Innit?

It actually looks like it'll have a relatively deep story for the kind of game it is, at least if character histories and the cinematic are anything to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    They're telling the story outside the game, hopefully (as they have hinted at) via web animations and possibly comics and the like. The actual game itself is just an arena to play with the characters, separate from the lore but with some little nods to it put in.
    IIRC at Blizzcon they said they were working on a way to incorporate story naturally into the gameplay as well. I think it's early days on all that yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    I don't either, haven't even bothered to watch the trailer for it.
    I heard "Kinda like team fortress" and bailed instantly.
    You probably could've watched the trailer in less time than it took to read through this thread and make an uninformed post about it :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcon View Post

I pretty much agree with all of this.

They have a really nice colourful cast of characters and a potentially interesting story background so I hope they do get to inject a bit of the story into the game somehow. Story could even be something you unlock with gameplay, maybe even some solo story missions.

Some games pull this off quite well, Skullgirls for example has very vivid characters and as you progress through story mode you get to see snippets of actual story, with hints at a broader story behind it. Thought that worked well, different game style of course but similar principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    He doesn't care about anyone in Overwatch. Blizzard doesn't actually want to tell a story with the game and that's usually how storytellers get us to care about the characters.
    I'd like to point out that all of Blizzard's franchises are gameplay first, story second. They just do quite a nice job of making universally appealing, traditional storylines and likeable characters despite that being a secondary focus. Or tertiary focus. It probably goes:

Gameplay > Coolness > Story

If you want a company that makes games with story as a primary focus you have to look at say, Bioware and Telltale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    They're telling the story outside the game, hopefully (as they have hinted at) via web animations and possibly comics and the like. The actual game itself is just an arena to play with the characters, separate from the lore but with some little nods to it put in.
    If it's popular they will make a franchise out of it.

I am positive Overwatch is Blizzard's way of seeing how fans respond to the world, the style, the idea.

They say Overwatch was a game mode for TItan, a MMO Blizz was making and ''abandoned''.

I am fairly sure it wasn't abandoned but put on hold, to see if fans like the idea ( i.e. Overwatch ) and that if it catches on the MMO will soon follow.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why should I? Just because Blizzard said so? Where's the story where they do something interesting and make me interested in them? We're just supposed to skip all that now and just play in some random maps with random nobodies who have zero weight with me? I understand there's a big enough market for that kind of dreck nowadays which is sad, so I guess as predictable as Blizzard is, they just go for the easy money. But I have to believe World of Warcraft was a $10 billion franchise because they laid out the groundwork that made us fall in love with the world and the characters.

By skipping all that hard work - they are just looking for easy money by telling us the characters are cool "trust us, it's awesome" and I'm not buying it.
    I have no feeling towards characters of ANY new franchise game before I play it for the first time. Playing it is generally the whole point..since you know..you get to know the character?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    TF2 literally has the bare minimums of story behind it.
    TF2 told more story through their character vignettes (a full CGI movie per class). Blizzard isn't even willing to put in that much effort.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    What? Should every game company run everything by you first?
    I don't remember saying anything like that. Hyperbole much?

I only care about the money I spent and yes, they have to convince me to spend it. There are millions of people like me, but I understand there's a million more who aren't like me and that the new generation of kids don't like to have to follow a story or pay attention - just instant gratification for a month or two and then they move on to the next thing. Question is, does Blizzard want a new 10 year, $10 billion franchise, or just a 2-3 month diversion? I'd say they want more of the first.

careeeeeeeeee who the hell cares....
    If the game is fun, imma play it... give a fuck about backstories...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    IIRC at Blizzcon they said they were working on a way to incorporate story naturally into the gameplay as well. I think it's early days on all that yet.
    The impression I got was that the ingame story would be very bare, but the maps would be related to the main story, and you could see little hints to the story in the maps. The comparison was made to the Lordaeron Throne Room: You can hear Arthas' whispering, and if you've played WC3 you can go "Oh yeah, that references that thing! awesome!" So that's the sort of things we'll be seeing ingame. And apparently those little hints where already on the maps at Blizzcon.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually think this new approach is very smart, and could usher in a new era of actually good writing for Blizzard. Their policy is always to put gameplay first, and often that results in pretty shit writing, because it's hard to develop a character through collecting bear asses. So by completely divorcing the story from the game (well, not completely) they can actually write character development and plot a lot better. Or maybe that's naive. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Gameplay > Coolness > Story

If you want a company that makes games with story as a primary focus you have to look at say, Bioware and Telltale.
    This pretty much. Even in WoW lore and story comes second after gameplay/coolness (ie using parallel universes so we can go to a different Draenor with characters that shouldn't be alive in our time).

Most Blizz devs, of the original ones at least, are pretty much kids at heart, and you can see that in the videos they show up. They're all about creating cool/awesome stuff.

Not to say they haven't created deep, rich and compelling stories and characters, but it's certainly not what "moves" them, as it does with Bioware and Telltale for instance.

10+ Year Old Account

It's a completely different genre of game - the majority who will play won't even care if there was hours worth of lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    Okay...I don't see how this post is relevant to overwatch. If you don't care about it, then don't play It?
    no one should ever express their opinion. just a world of silent actions.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i cant even get excited about the gameplay much less the story. im not much into the shooter games and havent been in a long time. was pretty serious about halo 1&2 but now i really dont care.

ill lump this game in with heroes of the storm. ive been in the alpha, and now beta, for a few months now and it seems like one of those games ill log on and play once every month or so. *note im talking about hots beta.

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    ill lump this game in with heroes of the storm. ive been in the alpha, and now beta, for a few months now and it seems like one of those games ill log on and play once every month or so.
    This statement is true of every game I've ever played apart from like 2-3 that suck all the time out of my life :P

It's a shooter. It's an arena style shooter. Why does it need a huge backstory (which it will have plenty when they actually release it)? Are you going to play one character because it was significant in lore, or because it's fun as hell to play?

It doesn't need one, but IMO vivid character design kind of begs for good story.

It's one of the things I felt was lacking in Borderlands.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP - why does anyone here care about whether you care? This is like one of those "Im quitting!!!" threads. None of us care, really. Buy the game if you like it when it's out. If not, don't.