Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

God of War platforming

I'm playing the first God of War from the HD Collection, and I'm at the end of Hades. Some of the puzzles and platforming sections in this game are really punishing. They are more difficult than any of the fights. Are all of the games like this?

I didn't play Ascension, but that was the worst section out of the three games I played. 3 would be a cakewalk for you, while 2 was just pure perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakwazu View Post
    I'm playing the first God of War from the HD Collection, and I'm at the end of Hades. Some of the puzzles and platforming sections in this game are really punishing. They are more difficult than any of the fights. Are all of the games like this?
    Nope. God of War 1, for all the praises it got at the time, also got a lot of criticism about its lack of boss fights. Because of this criticism, the new game director, (the guy that took over after David Jaffe left) decided to focus more on epic boss fights and fighting in general while dialing back the platforming/puzzle aspect of the games just a bit. The result, is that God of War 2 has like 12+ bosses in it, and it's fantastic. God of War 2 and 3 are great imo. I like them a lot more than the first one.

It's really hard to go back and play the first one now. It feels really dated, especially compared to 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a coincidence, I picked up the God of War Saga (5 games for 17 bucks.... hella value) and I just got done playing a couple hours of GoW 1. The platforming is definitely annoying mainly because of the, at times, awkward camera angles.

Just wait until you get to the snake riding part in GoW 3. The camera will kill you more than anything else in that game.

Signature Created by Jassinta

I died more to that puzzle at the top of the room than everything else combined in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

No they aren't. Tbh though I remember only one section that was kinda tight.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Just wait until you get to the snake riding part in GoW 3. The camera will kill you more than anything else in that game.
    That's Ascension, not 3. And the camera's not that bad there. It's wildly exaggerated actually, and just an excuse for being bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    That's Ascension, not 3. And the camera's not that bad there. It's wildly exaggerated actually, and just an excuse for being bad.
    Well I must be terrible compared to your amazing self. I found it hard to dodge wholes when the camera was a mile away from my character for no reason such that I couldn't see anything on my screen that I was supposed to be fighting. Or the part where you slide down that long ramp and have no warning at all when a whole will pop up until you just die and remember it for next time. I bow to your mastery of all things gaming.

Edit: Go to 2:47 in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S5evCZm3UE). If you could fight and play when the camera is like that you must be amazing. I'm not sure how you can say that is exaggerated though. And example of ridiculous camera while fighting is around 6:50.
    Last edited by NightZero88; 2015-01-26 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Well I must be terrible compared to your amazing self. I found it hard to dodge wholes when the camera was a mile away from my character for no reason such that I couldn't see anything on my screen that I was supposed to be fighting. Or the part where you slide down that long ramp and have no warning at all when a whole will pop up until you just die and remember it for next time. I bow to your mastery of all things gaming.

Edit: Go to 2:47 in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S5evCZm3UE). If you could fight and play when the camera is like that you must be amazing. I'm not sure how you can say that is exaggerated though. And example of ridiculous camera while fighting is around 6:50.
    The camera doesn't get bad until 3:49, which gives you almost a minute to defeat those enemies until it starts becoming an issue, and the camera only goes away for 10 seconds.

The thing is, those enemies have no guard break, (I know, I beat Ascension on the highest difficulty) so if you can't see what's going on, you can just guard for a few seconds. Simple solution to a simple problem. That probably makes me sound elitist, but I don't really care. You can only die to those enemies if you're going yolo face mode. And when I did that part, I did die a few times, but I adapted my tactics to fit the situation, and once I realized I was just playing too offensively it became easy.

Serious question, have you played God of War 3? I just can't imagine the camera on the snakes could give someone more issues than the damn rotating spike cube of death in GoW 3. Sorry if I came off as a bit aggressive, it just flabbergasts me that the snake bit on Ascension always gets so much hate when there's plenty of other fights that are 100 times more frustrating in the series. Any of the fights with infinite enemies in GoW 1, the Kratos clones in GoW 1, any of the end game "gauntlets" fights from any of the games, the damn Phoenix room in GoW 2. Even Ascension has a more annoying fight later on with the damn fire walls that close in on you like a hard berserk timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    The camera doesn't get bad until 3:49, which gives you almost a minute to defeat those enemies until it starts becoming an issue, and the camera only goes away for 10 seconds.

The thing is, those enemies have no guard break, (I know, I beat Ascension on the highest difficulty) so if you can't see what's going on, you can just guard for a few seconds. Simple solution to a simple problem. That probably makes me sound elitist, but I don't really care. You can only die to those enemies if you're going yolo face mode. And when I did that part, I did die a few times, but I adapted my tactics to fit the situation, and once I realized I was just playing too offensively it became easy.

Serious question, have you played God of War 3? I just can't imagine the camera on the snakes could give someone more issues than the damn rotating spike cube of death in GoW 3. Sorry if I came off as a bit aggressive, it just flabbergasts me that the snake bit on Ascension always gets so much hate when there's plenty of other fights that are 100 times more frustrating in the series. Any of the fights with infinite enemies in GoW 1, the Kratos clones in GoW 1, any of the end game "gauntlets" fights from any of the games, the damn Phoenix room in GoW 2. Even Ascension has a more annoying fight later on with the damn fire walls that close in on you like a hard berserk timer.
    Yes, I've played and beaten all the GoW games though on normal, I play through because I like the mechanics and story and not because of the need to push myself. I certainly agree that there are other annoying camera issues in the game but I just remember those two really sticking out in my mind as being annoying as heck, likely because I vented to a friend about them when he borrowed the game.