Is X Rebirth worth playing now?

Is the game still a broken mess or is it actually worthwhile? I have seen this game and was excited to get it but after hearing all the negative things about this game I am still skeptical about getting it. Should I get this game?

It is worthwhile. many mods and scripts exist for the game- the community is really robust.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game is mostly fixed from a bug perspective, although from a design one id argue the previous X games are much better.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, avoid as plague. Nothing can save it, even the latest update. I made a mistake. Don't do it.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    It's certainly better than it was at release but that's like saying 'at least this bucket of feces is no longer on fire while I eat it'. I'd still categorically recommend X3, the shiny graphics just can't make up for the sloppy gameplay and reduction of features.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    It's certainly better than it was at release but that's like saying 'at least this bucket of feces is no longer on fire while I eat it'. I'd still categorically recommend X3, the shiny graphics just can't make up for the sloppy gameplay and reduction of features.
    I wouldn't call X:Rebirth graphics shiny. Right in the beginning of the game when you meet this chic - I vomited on the screen in my mind and that only improved the picture.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    X2 was the last game that was good. What followed was just good looking junk.

Deep Silver really have to get their shit together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I wouldn't call X:Rebirth graphics shiny. Right in the beginning of the game when you meet this chic - I vomited on the screen in my mind and that only improved the picture.
    But it has fancy nebula backgrounds and particle effects on the big engines, you just have to ignore the Morrowind-esque character models .

Quote Originally Posted by Vardra View Post
    It's all subjective but I wouldn't call X3 good looking junk personally, the default state of Albion Prelude is pretty good at the moment and the catalog of mods is impressively extensive.

I never got pushed inside a wall by a cleaning robot in X3 so it has that over Rebirth anyway .
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

I think you really need to mod X3, its a tough choice between X3TC and X3AP, both are great modded, AP just has different story arcs and some other features like the stock market.

personally i prefer x3tc because its been out longer so it has just more mods overall, things like XRM or the other total conversions x-tended. but the smaller mods when stacked just add layers of depth (claim sector, military response, pirate guilds, bounties, salvage claim to name a few), then again it is showing age so the game lacks things like a intricate combat system with sub system targeting or anything cool like that its just aim shoot, wait for shield to drop, not much in the way of dynamics in the combat, but its great to watch capitals fighting it out.

i think rebirth was slated for a console release which never happen so now they are stuck trying to make a console game for a pc market when every single pc gamer there is hates ports.. its a shame really because these mods for their previous titles added amazing amounts of depth to the games, even sitting in their very forums for years, and yet the devs decided with rebirth to go the way they did instead of saying 'hey guys all this community created content is really popular why don't we take a page from this book' they could have taken the community ideas and created another x game around that and it would have been a much better outcome.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2015-01-27 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vardra View Post

Deep Silver really have to get their shit together.
    Pretty sure that Deep Silver is just the publisher. Egosoft makes the games.

10+ Year Old Account
    My recomendation is X-tended mod.
    Easy to install. And also the less laggy.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=293490

Well it gives you new space to explore and also lots of great music. Probaly only downside for it, is that you cant put jumpdrive on everything and you need to keep switching difilcuty to easy to be able to use repair laser.

Compared to old game it has:
    *extending space--new areas will open over time (it can be disabled with some console if you dont want to wait)
    *news board (if you are evil enogh in some space, you will be on news)
    *more ships
    *AA cannons are only on large ships now (and they dont cause sound lag)
    *new intersting missions (still have to do a boron one)
    *able to remove civilians and rocks (usualy stuff that kills fps in this game)
    *new npc missions (some are still imposible if you dont have the right ship...kinda wish they would but some system in game so it only shows you missions you can do in current ship, or if you own the right one)
    *you dont have to wait for weapons to respawn, you can just go to docks and it you have a rigth reputation, you can just fully fix your ship (can be disabled)
    *and more stuff

Other option is XRM mod:
    http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=304158

Its still in old space with some new sectors. I generaly prefer X-tended, but i kinda wish it had a THE XRM BOUNTY SYSTEM. It kinda does have something similar, but its not so rewarding.
    Don't sweat the details!!!