Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws View Post
    Ubisoft are to blame for people going to resellers.
    What? Since when is Ubisoft responsible for consumers purchasing habits? I thought people controlled their purchasing habits.

They've taken games off steam, released with game breaking bugs and at a premium price which is far beyond there true worth.
    Ubisoft temporarily removed a few games from Steam but put them back.
    Them releasing broken games doesn't change where you buy the game from, it's still going to be broken if you get it from GameStop, Steam, or G2A.

If you don't like it, you can always either just not buy their games or wait months until they fix them. Buying from the grey market doesn't change the quality of the game you purchase.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What? Since when is Ubisoft responsible for consumers purchasing habits? I thought people controlled their purchasing habits.

Ubisoft temporarily removed a few games from Steam but put them back.
    Them releasing broken games doesn't change where you buy the game from, it's still going to be broken if you get it from GameStop, Steam, or G2A.

If you don't like it, you can always either just not buy their games or wait months until they fix them. Buying from the grey market doesn't change the quality of the game you purchase.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on the other thing, you buy from your official channels, I'll save money and lose the occasional game through resellers and greed, and we can both be happy. I do agree with you on this point though, the game is going to be broken whether you buy it on Steam or whether you buy it from G2A. It's still shit either way.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Purchasing habits with games often comes down to trust over course of 2014 ubisoft eroded consumer trust to the point many are no longer willing to pay a premium for day 1 releases. Customers who have been burned before do not want to repeat the loss again but may still be interested to get the game increasingly now turn to resellers because they may be a risk but the price difference warrants that risk for many. Ubisoft should be less concerned about the resellers and more concerned about rebuilding the damaged relationship between customer and company. My advice take a leap out of the CD Projekt playbook, these guys rollout continuous suppt, multiple free dlc, high def upgrades and are against DRM. They are one of the few companies in PC gaming I find truly respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree on the other thing, you buy from your official channels, I'll save money and lose the occasional game through resellers and greed, and we can both be happy. I do agree with you on this point though, the game is going to be broken whether you buy it on Steam or whether you buy it from G2A. It's still shit either way.
    Wait, what are we disagreeing on? I mean, as long as you're cool with potentially having your key revoked if you purchase through a third party reseller, I don't see what there is to disagree on >.>

Purchasing habits with games often comes down to trust over course of 2014 ubisoft eroded consumer trust to the point many are no longer willing to pay a premium for day 1 releases.
    And that's totally cool. People can wait to see how the game pans out, it's not as if it hasn't been an option since forever : P

Customers who have been burned before do not want to repeat the loss again but may still be interested to get the game increasingly now turn to resellers because they may be a risk but the price difference warrants that risk for many.
    If they can't patiently wait for the game to drop in price, then they're taking a risk. It's up to them.

Ubisoft should be less concerned about the resellers and more concerned about rebuilding the damaged relationship between customer and company. My advice take a leap out of the CD Projekt playbook, these guys rollout continuous suppt, multiple free dlc, high def upgrades and are against DRM. They are one of the few companies in PC gaming I find truly respectable.
    I agree, for the most part. Ubisoft needs to do some serious work to rebuild consumer trust. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't go after fraudulent key sales if they see them.

Deleted
    If you buy out of region keys or stolen keys they are well within their rights to terminate your keys as you are bound by the terms of service if you want to use it and if you don't well it's useless.

Ubisoft are to blame for people going to resellers. They've taken games off steam, released with game breaking bugs and at a premium price which is far beyond there true worth. Seems to me this will just make people think less of ubiosft an be more inclined to simply jump straight to piracy. All they'll achieve is rivalling EA for bad reputations.
    Oh please, spare the bullshit.

People used resellers to buy Shadow of Mordor in mass, which was an extremely polished game published by WB not Ubisoft. That is just a single example. Don't come here with the bullshit of "we only do it cause ubisoft killed our trust!" no, you do it because you get to play the game officially on release date for much cheaper then it should be.

You will try to do the same with Witcher 3 and the list gos on. But yea, it's totally's ubisoft's fault that people use the grey market lol... wut.

Customers aren't supposed to make use of cheaper prices from different regions.

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Customers aren't supposed to make use of cheaper prices from different regions.
    It's not just that.

Stolen CCs are also used to purchase mass quantities of the physical games in eastern Europe, and they gut them and put the keys up for sale.

It's not just they are selling you cheaper keys from different regions, they stole the damn cheaper keys in the first place.

I am betting that in most cases we are really talking bout saving 30 dollars on a purchase. I'd rather save the headache. We have no clue how these companies actually purchase the games... we assume its on the up and up. That is a pretty big assumption.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Stolen CCs are also used to purchase mass quantities of the physical games in eastern Europe, and they gut them and put the keys up for sale.

It's not just they are selling you cheaper keys from different regions, they stole the damn cheaper keys in the first place.
    Must be nice to make accusations without any proofs.

Ubisoft are to blame for people going to resellers. They've taken games off steam, released with game breaking bugs and at a premium price which is far beyond there true worth. Seems to me this will just make people think less of ubiosft an be more inclined to simply jump straight to piracy. All they'll achieve is rivalling EA for bad reputations.
    Name one company that has not released their game with "game breaking bugs" as according to the most vocal players.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Must be nice to make accusations without any proofs.
    http://unknownworlds.com/blog/beware...nt-steam-keys/

Many other examples you want more?

But from the devs mouths themselves is not proof let me guess?

Sorry if you're hurt that you buy from shady ass sites, but the truth is the truth.

http://unknownworlds.com/blog/beware...nt-steam-keys/

Many other examples you want more?

But from the devs mouths themselves is not proof let me guess?

Sorry if you're hurt that you buy from shady ass sites, but the truth is the truth.
    We don’t know how exactly these sites obtain their Steam keys.
    How sites like g2a and kinguin are "shady ass" considering they are endorsed left and right everywhere in gaming is pretty dubious to me.
    Also don't worry I am not hurt. Hypocrisy merely amuses me.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2015-01-28 at 12:35 AM.

How sites like g2a and kinguin are "shady ass" considering they are endorsed left and right everywhere in gaming is pretty dubious to me as well.
    Also don't worry I am not hurt.
    They are endorsed by streamers and youtubers that make money off them...

They aren't endorsed by any company that actually MAKES or PUBLISHES games... That is for a reason.

How sites like g2a and kinguin are "shady ass" considering they are endorsed left and right everywhere in gaming is pretty dubious to me as well.
    Also don't worry I am not hurt.
    We deactivated these keys because they keys were purchased with credit cards where the card-holder initiated a “charge-back.” A charge-back is a consumer protection mechanism offered by payment companies such as Visa, allowing a card-holder to dispute a charge on their credit card statement. This means we never received payment for the game. In fact, we were charged a fee by the card issuer for the charge-back. For these 1,341 keys, these fees totalled around $30,000.
    That's how the keys were obtained. They keys were purchased using stolen credit cards and the sites pretty obviously purchased the keys (either knowingly or unknowingly).

They are endorsed by streamers and youtubers that make money off them...

They aren't endorsed by any company that actually MAKES or PUBLISHES games... That is for a reason.
    Of course not since they are ruining marketing their products with widely different prices.
    That's how the keys were obtained. They keys were purchased using stolen credit cards and the sites pretty obviously purchased the keys (either knowingly or unknowingly).
    And yet the line I quoted was from there as well. Doesn't really change anything since there are no names mentioned.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    How sites like g2a and kinguin are "shady ass" considering they are endorsed left and right everywhere in gaming is pretty dubious to me.
    Also don't worry I am not hurt. Hypocrisy merely amuses me.
    I think that bizarre notion is a holdover from the whole "Oh it fell off a truck." thing. People see something cheap and assume that something shady is going on, when in reality it's very easy for these companies to flip legit games and turn a profit much to the chagrin of companies like UbiSoft.

Wait, what are we disagreeing on? I mean, as long as you're cool with potentially having your key revoked if you purchase through a third party reseller, I don't see what there is to disagree on >.>
    We disagree on who is right and who is wrong as far as Ubisoft and people who buy from resellers go, but it's kind of hard to argue about at the moment because there are really five or six separate (or should be separate) arguments going on here. For example the Ubisoft thing appears not to be an issue with resellers in-general, but based on the wording of the GameSpot article it's an issue with G2A's weird user marketplace bullshit.
    Last edited by RoKPaNda; 2015-01-28 at 12:41 AM.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Of course not since they are ruining marketing their products with widely different prices.

And yet the line I quoted was from there as well. Doesn't really change anything since there are no names mentioned.
    And you don't see how that is shady?

Must be nice to live with the blinders you have on your eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daez View Post
    I am betting that in most cases we are really talking bout saving 30 dollars on a purchase. I'd rather save the headache. We have no clue how these companies actually purchase the games... we assume its on the up and up. That is a pretty big assumption.
    You have no idea how much 30$/EUR actually means in some countries. And why in said countries piracy is extremely high.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I think that bizarre notion is a holdover from the whole "Oh it fell off a truck." thing. People see something cheap and assume that something shady is going on, when in reality it's very easy for these companies to flip legit games and turn a profit much to the chagrin of companies like UbiSoft.
    No, we see something cheap and see that these are keys acquired elsewhere and resold through those sites and assume something shady. This assumption is backed up when there have been multiple instances of these sites selling keys which were subsequently revoked either due to regional issues or fraudulent purchases of the keys provided by the site.

Do you automatically assume the dude selling super cheap jewelry on the street corner is on the up and up with his merchandise?

And I mean, it's hardly as if you can't get games insanely cheaply through official digital stores. Hell, I picked up AC: Liberation and Arkham Origins for $5 a pop last holiday sale. 2 AAA titles roughly a year old for $5? Damn, if that ain't cheap enough, I don't know what to tell you.

Though it's against the TOS/EULA of most sites to resell their keys in different regions, last I remember.