10+ Year Old Account

Shadow - How do i go up against multiple mobs that die quickly

I'm slowly learning CoP shad Priest and i have just got the basics of single target. But i want to know how i come up against multiple adds.

For example. Trash (around 3-4 mobs) and Tectus with all the motes.

Do i dot them up then carry on with my single target rotation or what?

Also. Bosses like Twin Ogron. Do i keep dots on the target i'm not focusing on?

Cheers

I never had much luck with multi-dotting as CoP in any situation. At best it always seems to do the same damage for a lot more work. Also I have never once cast Mind Sear and saw it do better DPS than a straight single target rotation. As far as I can tell there are close to zero situations in Highmaul where it is worth casting Mind Sear. Personally, on Tectus I single target and Halo on cooldown. Twin Ogron I single target and Halo on cooldown. They just aren't good fights for CoP I think.

Maybe someone else has better luck with this. I tried all manner of multi-dotting early on when I started playing CoP and just gave up on it because it was DPS neutral - at best - in every single situation I ever tried it in.
    Last edited by hablix; 2015-01-29 at 07:40 AM.

How do i go up against multiple mobs that die quickly
    You reroll warrior and click Bladestorm

Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post
    As far as I can tell there are close to zero situations in Highmaul where it is worth casting Mind Sear.
    Kill Mythic Imperator and get back to me on that assessment.

To answer the question, just accept the following: We suck at Tectus. There's no way around it, we're just fucking terrible at the encounter. Using P3 M-Tectus as an example, the best way to do it, imo, is to spec SoD and DoT as much as you can. If you get barrage, just tab target SW: P on the move as much as you can and dump your MS procs into the un-DoT'd Tectii. If you find yourself in a position where the adds are clumped and you have all of your targets DoT'd, you can MSear (though it won't do much). We're pretty much only useful in P1/P2; the same rotation applies in these phases. DoT a main/off-target and dump MS procs into a non-DoT target. It takes a bit to get adjusted but once you get the hang of it our "cleave" DPS isn't quite as shitty. This is exceptionally effective on Twins or any situation where there's a burn target and a tertiary target. (ie, put all your DoTs on the off-target, dump all your MS into the main target.).

tl,dr - Spec SoD, off-DoT a target, dump MS procs/nukes into the burn target

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post
    I never had much luck with multi-dotting as CoP in any situation. At best it always seems to do the same damage for a lot more work. Also I have never once cast Mind Sear and saw it do better DPS than a straight single target rotation. As far as I can tell there are close to zero situations in Highmaul where it is worth casting Mind Sear. Personally, on Tectus I single target and Halo on cooldown. Twin Ogron I single target and Halo on cooldown. They just aren't good fights for CoP I think.

Maybe someone else has better luck with this. I tried all manner of multi-dotting early on when I started playing CoP and just gave up on it because it was DPS neutral - at best - in every single situation I ever tried it in.
    Luck? Has nothing to do with luck, it has everything to do with skill, and I frankly don't find it hard but I concede it takes some practice and on Mythic progression whilst you're learning the fight, yeah, you may make some mistakes in either mechanics or class execution.

The following is for Mythic but you can apply it on Heroic as well.

Tectus -> When undergeared you can spec Insanity for the nuke on the add, but it sucks in the mote phase. You dot up the boss when the adds come. This is a bit tricky cause they spawn on different locations but have your DK death grip them. You keep nuking (DP/Mind Blast/Mind Spike) until your dots fall off the boss. Make sure you don't dotweave sub 20% due to SWD/CoP. Halo can and should sometimes be saved depending on boss mod timers and boss energy. So what happens in last phase is you use pot/trinket, Shadowfiend, Halo, should get a Fox there and tab VTs. You then pump your SoD procs in one target you did not dot up (pump MB/DP into any mote). You can call that reverse dot tracking if you like, TwinTop has a WA for CoP see bottom post. Forget about dotweaving due to movement, but don't forget about PWS (and use Reflective Shield ofc). Try to reapply VT when you can, but don't neglect the fight mechanics (positioning). What can help you here is glyphed Leap of Faith (the Boba Fett version). If you want to help out your healers, remember all damage Halo does counts as single target, and your dots and single target (including MSp via SoD procs) will do respectable damage to make VE very nice on this point.

Twin Ogrons -> Put dots on one target, nuke the other. SoD is viable here, and much more movement friendly than Insanity. If you do not use dots on Twin Ogrons you are doing it very wrong. The TS has more of an idea what to do here than you do. With SoD, make sure you always use it after MB/orb cap if you got 3 procs. You can save your two procs during fire phase. Make sure you dot up Phemos the White, not Pol the Black. Pump MSp on Pol.

Brackenspore -> You can abuse Insanity here with the Mind Fungus because the game thinks you have negative haste which makes Insanity last longer (you then use your Insanity outside of the Mind Fungus), but SoD is also viable, esp before you overgear it and should you be on flamethrower it can make your life a bit easier. If you don't have your dots on the boss while Fungal Flesh Eater is up you are doing it very wrong. Except if your MB is on CD or you are orb capped but that goes without saying.

Koragh -> Not about Insanity or SoD, you should use Insanity here for the single target damage. You may find PI viable over ToF if your timings on the shield line up with it (it did for us), but you can also abuse ToF on one small add. The one you SWD. Careful tho.

As for Mind Sear I indeed used it on Imperator. Mind Sear buffed in 5 days. Which kinda makes this whole topic a bit moot due to incoming class changes.

You should consider to grab TwinTop's WeakAuras from HowToPriest. They will tell you about SoD procs, CoP damage increase active on target, and many other useful. You will not be able to play with AS well in BRF without his AS tracker WA, can tell you that now already. Unless someone writes an addon with similar functionality.