The Effects of the Covid-19 Pandemic on Sport

Restrictions on travel, physical activity, and mass gatherings due to COVID 19 pandemic have had major implications for athletes and players. With the cancellation of events, loss of earnings and restrictions of access to training venues, I wonder how these have affected the mental health of the athletes.

Well good thing most of them are covered by their franchises health care and can get counseling in their mansions via Zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by Prinky Doodsie View Post
    Restrictions on travel, physical activity, and mass gatherings due to COVID 19 pandemic have had major implications for athletes and players. With the cancellation of events, loss of earnings and restrictions of access to training venues, I wonder how these have affected the mental health of the athletes.
    I'm more concerned with the effects of concussions than COVID-19 on millionaires playing a kids' game.

I"m sure they have some issues going on but they signed up for it.

Athletes I'm not worried about. its the regular workers that support all those games in a background, you know concession stand workers, etc - THEY are the ones likely having most issues financial and otherwise.

Athletes are the last people i care about in that case.
    Emergency/core workers are much more important.

5+ Year Old Account
    Yea, people gonna get fat or exercise at home.

Formula 1 was the first international sport back and it has been a fantastic season. They had very robust regulations in place and very very very few people tested positive.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Imagine being a musician or any kind of live performer. Not only have you lost at least 12 months of work but when this is all over the venues that used to host you are no longer open, your career no longer exists. It was already bad with musicians as spotify and youtube has turned the value of music into 0 so people were relying on touring to make a living more than ever.

Sports is at least still taking place and can be televised, live entertainment no longer really exists as it relies on ticket sales and/or audience numbers (in places where the venue pays a fixed fee and they make their money back on drink/food).
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Hi all! Thanks for all your responses.

You guys have a point. They must have all the provisions they need for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Imagine being a musician or any kind of live performer. Not only have you lost at least 12 months of work but when this is all over the venues that used to host you are no longer open, your career no longer exists. It was already bad with musicians as spotify and youtube has turned the value of music into 0 so people were relying on touring to make a living more than ever.

Sports is at least still taking place and can be televised, live entertainment no longer really exists as it relies on ticket sales and/or audience numbers (in places where the venue pays a fixed fee and they make their money back on drink/food).
    Yeah, the musicians suffered enough even before the pandemic. I'm really concerned about life post covid. It sounds like the world is going to have some major overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I'm more concerned with the effects of concussions than COVID-19 on millionaires playing a kids' game.

I"m sure they have some issues going on but they signed up for it.
    I agree that we should be more concerned about the effects of concussions, but I am not only talking about elite athletes, I'm talking about athletes in general. I'm sure one way or another, this covid pandemic has somehow affected our mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Athletes are the last people i care about in that case.
    Emergency/core workers are much more important.
    Yes, I also agree that the frontliners are much more important

they will be okay ust as long as they continue their good nutrition, adequate sleep, self-care and activities that make them feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfire View Post
    they will be okay ust as long as they continue their good nutrition, adequate sleep, self-care and activities that make them feel good.
    This might be impossible for those people that are greatly affected by the pandemic especially the poor ones. But I heard that the government is giving them money to sustain their needs.