Thread: keto diet

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    What's better then? Getting fats from oils or from whole food sources with heaps of micro's and other macro's.
    Oh look, you changed the subject.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It's probably fair to say that too much of anything is not good for you. *shrug

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1111122105.htm

There was no subject change, that is why I said they were bad for you like processed sugar is. Both are processed taking everything else out of them and leaving only fats or sugars behind.

There was no subject change, that is why I said they were bad for you like processed sugar is. Both are processed taking everything else out of them and leaving only fats or sugars behind.
    Ok. But I still call BS on the claim that "oils are bad for you just like processed sugar". Your statement makes the assumption that the badness of something is determined by whether it is processed or not. But the inherent properties of the nutrient are also important. Sugar or fat could be deleterious even if consumed from "unprocessed" sources.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Ok. But I still call BS on the claim that "oils are bad for you just like processed sugar". Your statement makes the assumption that the badness of something is determined by whether it is processed or not. But the inherent properties of the nutrient are also important. Sugar or fat could be deleterious even if consumed from "unprocessed" sources.
    The 'process' removes everything from the food besides the macro nutrient, barely any micro nutrients survive. Cake is described as nutritionally devoid and that is what oil is as well. That is why I said 'bad for you like processed sugar' as they are the same. Processed sugar, processed fat.

The 'process' removes everything from the food besides the macro nutrient, barely any micro nutrients survive. Cake is described as nutritionally devoid and that is what oil is as well. That is why I said 'bad for you like processed sugar' as they are the same. Processed sugar, processed fat.
    But again, "removing something good" doesn't mean that if that putative good part *wasn't* removed, the unprocessed combination would be good for you. Again, whether something is processed or not is just one dimension by which to judge food, and not necessarily even the most important one.

But again, "removing something good" doesn't mean that if that putative good part *wasn't* removed, the unprocessed combination would be good for you. Again, whether something is processed or not is just one dimension by which to judge food, and not necessarily even the most important one.
    We're on the same page here Osmeric you just don't realise it.

Interesting thread. I'm glad to read that a lot of the myths that saturated fat and cholesterol are unhealthy for us are becoming better understood.

My opinion, which I believe to be backed up by science, is that keto diets are very helpful for certain medical conditions and for weight loss they are good short term for most people. For long term they aren't exactly natural however. There has never been an indigenous human population shown to be in ketosis permanently. This includes the Inuit and northern populations. They do not live in ketosis as is a widespread belief. They eat vast quantities of protein which is converted to glucose through gluconeogenesis and so meet their bodies' glucose needs that way. They also regularly consume fresh raw kills which are rich in glycogen, a carb that quickly degrades after the animal is killed.

Ketosis is simply an alternative metabolic pathway in which ketones rather than glucose serve as fuel. It's fine and healthy within certain parameters but isn't a persistant long term metabolic state. So use it to lose weight or control certain medical conditions. Once the weight is lost you should focus on eating whole foods, including fruits and starches, and living a healthy lifestyle. I do think fat is the preferred fuel since we have a virtually limitless store of it while our carbohydrate reserve is minimal at best in the form of liver and muscle glycogen.

My personal experience is that if I go too low carb I begin to crave sweets but keeping a moderate carb intake, 100g per day sometimes up to 150g, the sweet cravings disappear. I eat a mostly paleo diet with small quantities of good quality cheese and yogurt. Legumes rarely, like a couple times a month. No grains except for white rice, no refined sugar, and no "vegetable" high PUFA high omega 6 oils. Meat, veggies, natural fats (which make up 50-60% of my calories), and 2-3 servings each of fruit and starchy vegetables make up my daily diet. I also work out 5-6 days a week for 30m to an hour. This is working for me so far and my weight doesn't do the 10-20 lb yoyo every few years it used to even with the same amount of exercise and while trying to eat a low fat high grain diet.

What people think though is that 1 calorie in is equal to 1 calorie out. Depending on what you ate that 1 calorie in might require the activity level of using 4 calories.(Made up numbers)
    lol wut. You do know the laws of thermodynamics right? 1 calorie in does equal 1 calorie out. The reason it may not seem that way is because the metabolic equation is dynamic and ever changing. You can't calculate it with complete accuracy.

- - - Updated - - -

please provide peer reviewed evidence of why sugar is bad for you.

And if you say because its TOXIC i will lmfao. Water is also toxic if enough is consumed. The poison is in the dosage my friend.
    Last edited by Zelion; 2015-04-27 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelion View Post
    please provide peer reviewed evidence of why sugar is bad for you.
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/0...ks/?ref=health

'Only two weeks of modest consumption of high-fructose corn syrup causes cholesterol and triglycerides levels to rise, and the more consumed, the greater the increases.'

[...]

'“It was a surprise that adding as little as the equivalent of a half-can of soda at breakfast, lunch and dinner was enough to produce significant increases in risk for cardiovascular disease,” said the lead author, Kimber L. Stanhope, a research scientist at the University of California, Davis. “Our bodies respond to a relatively small increase in sugar, and that’s important information.”'

(news story that summarizes a result in the peer reviewed literature)

'Only two weeks of modest consumption of high-fructose corn syrup causes cholesterol and triglycerides levels to rise, and the more consumed, the greater the increases.'

[...]

'“It was a surprise that adding as little as the equivalent of a half-can of soda at breakfast, lunch and dinner was enough to produce significant increases in risk for cardiovascular disease,” said the lead author, Kimber L. Stanhope, a research scientist at the University of California, Davis. “Our bodies respond to a relatively small increase in sugar, and that’s important information.”'

(news story that summarizes a result in the peer reviewed literature)
    This is what you get for getting your health info from media outlet writers that are abstract scientists. He didn't even cite the study lol. And I assume you didn't even read it.

There is no mention of diet control, so you don't know what else these people are consuming. Were they consuming enough fiber? Studies show that diets high in sugar are usually low in fiber which can explain a lot.

These HFCS drinks are ON TOP of whatever they are consuming(I am assuming because it doesn't clarify, either way 25% of your calories from sugar is moronic). So one group had 0% added calories, etc. etc. and one group was consuming 25% more calories on top of their normal diet DAILY. For example on a 2000 calorie diet, that's an extra 125g of HFCS for the 25% group on top of normal consumption. No shit health markers went down.

BTW the author even says EXCESS sugar is unhealthy, not sugar itself.

There's arsenic in vegetables and water due to it being in the soil (and the federal government allows certain levels). Are these unhealthy for you?

Like I said, the poison is in the dosage.
    Last edited by Zelion; 2015-04-28 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelion View Post
    This is what you get for getting your health info from media outlet writers that are abstract scientists. He didn't even cite the study lol. And I assume you didn't even read it.
    You mean, aside from giving the name of the lead author and the name of the journal it was published in? That's enough to find it, which is the purpose of a citation.

There is no mention of diet control, so you don't know what else these people are consuming. Were they consuming enough fiber? Studies show that diets high in sugar are usually low in fiber which can explain a lot.
    You know, when I posted that, I was pretty sure you'd engage in some sort of passive-aggressive denial mechanism. Thank you for not disappointing me.

Are there any other bits of information you need so you can proceed to ignore them?

You mean, aside from giving the name of the lead author and the name of the journal it was published in? That's enough to find it, which is the purpose of a citation.

You know, when I posted that, I was pretty sure you'd engage in some sort of passive-aggressive denial mechanism. Thank you for not disappointing me.

Are there any other bits of information you need so you can proceed to ignore them?
    Denial, sigh. I'm just looking at the data from the study and interpreting it correctly. Something you cannot seem to comprehend. You know what confounding variables are right?

You keep being a sheep and believe anything you see abstract scientist.

BTW a citation contains the issue and page for the study.
    Last edited by Zelion; 2015-04-29 at 02:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    hello guys i have a question as to why all of a sudden i've been having the leaky runs and the associated symptoms with it.

Been on Keto for 2 months

it happened two days ago where i was straight out crapping water and it was pretty bad. had a similar episode this morning.

i feel like i might have traced it to my magnesium intake (i take a supplement as well as getting it from food) but i just did a count of my magnesium which shows me to be about 200-250 mg over the daily recommendation (recommendation is 400 mg, i've been around 600 and more).

i've heard that too much Magnesium (since its a natural laxative) can cause my problems and i was hoping for some input to the matter.

i just started my workout routine again (weight lifting and running)

im at 249 pounds, 6 foot 7 inches tall, around 23% body fat. my macros are at usually 65/25/10 F/P/C And i just started transitioning from SKD to TKD.

a normal day of food meal options would be

morning: 1.) eggs, bacon, cheese
    2.) protein shake (cream cheese, coffee, heavy cream, torani sugar free syrup, coconut oil, butter, ice).
    3.) walnuts, almonds, pecans (if i'm feeling lazy)

Lunch: 1.) Hamburger x2 (Beef patty, mayo, swiss cheese, lettuce wrapped)
    2.) Kale salad (with walnuts tossed in, some ranch dressing, avocado)
    3.) walnuts, almonds, pecans (if im lazy)

dinner. 1.)Salmon, asparagus
    2.) chicken, butter, salad
    3.) kale salad with tossed in fish or chicken or beef, avocado
    4. Walnuts, almonds pecans (if im lazy)

snacks: walnuts, almonds, pecans (get the point? haha)

my caloric deficit puts me at about 2700 calories a day.

lately i've found ive been eating a lot of the nuts varieties and with my magnesium supplement pill (that is 250 mg in one pill), i think that the Magnesium might be the culprit but i can't tell, its the worst bout of diarrhea i've had since the induction phase.

ANY help would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    hello guys i have a question as to why all of a sudden i've been having the leaky runs and the associated symptoms with it.

Been on Keto for 2 months

it happened two days ago where i was straight out crapping water and it was pretty bad. had a similar episode this morning.

i feel like i might have traced it to my magnesium intake (i take a supplement as well as getting it from food) but i just did a count of my magnesium which shows me to be about 200-250 mg over the daily recommendation (recommendation is 400 mg, i've been around 600 and more).

i've heard that too much Magnesium (since its a natural laxative) can cause my problems and i was hoping for some input to the matter.

i just started my workout routine again (weight lifting and running)

im at 249 pounds, 6 foot 7 inches tall, around 23% body fat. my macros are at usually 65/25/10 F/P/C And i just started transitioning from SKD to TKD.

a normal day of food meal options would be

morning: 1.) eggs, bacon, cheese
    2.) protein shake (cream cheese, coffee, heavy cream, torani sugar free syrup, coconut oil, butter, ice).
    3.) walnuts, almonds, pecans (if i'm feeling lazy)

Lunch: 1.) Hamburger x2 (Beef patty, mayo, swiss cheese, lettuce wrapped)
    2.) Kale salad (with walnuts tossed in, some ranch dressing, avocado)
    3.) walnuts, almonds, pecans (if im lazy)

dinner. 1.)Salmon, asparagus
    2.) chicken, butter, salad
    3.) kale salad with tossed in fish or chicken or beef, avocado
    4. Walnuts, almonds pecans (if im lazy)

snacks: walnuts, almonds, pecans (get the point? haha)

my caloric deficit puts me at about 2700 calories a day.

lately i've found ive been eating a lot of the nuts varieties and with my magnesium supplement pill (that is 250 mg in one pill), i think that the Magnesium might be the culprit but i can't tell, its the worst bout of diarrhea i've had since the induction phase.

ANY help would be fantastic.
    Magnesium can do this, yes. But usually your body acclimates to the dosage after a week or two. You are eating a LOT of nuts...so yes, this could indeed be your problem.

Cut back on the nuts slightly and let your body acclimate to the magnesium, then up your walnut/almond/pecan intake gradually.

- - - Updated - - -

Nuts, seeds and mineral/spring water (not tap) all are sources of magnesium that could put you way over your daily dosage needs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Magnesium can do this, yes. But usually your body acclimates to the dosage after a week or two. You are eating a LOT of nuts...so yes, this could indeed be your problem.

Cut back on the nuts slightly and let your body acclimate to the magnesium, then up your walnut/almond/pecan intake gradually.

- - - Updated - - -

Nuts, seeds and mineral/spring water (not tap) all are sources of magnesium that could put you way over your daily dosage needs.
    i just realized too that my daily centrum also gave me 25% of my daily need of Magnesium, so between that and the other, i was taking up to 98% of my daily need, i took out the Magnesium sup today, ill have to see how it goes. hopefully it goes away. i want to poop normally. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    i just realized too that my daily centrum also gave me 25% of my daily need of Magnesium, so between that and the other, i was taking up to 98% of my daily need, i took out the Magnesium sup today, ill have to see how it goes. hopefully it goes away. i want to poop normally. haha
    Yea I bet, haha

When I started taking magnesium, it took my body a couple of days to adjust to the magnesium, so your body does build a tolerance after awhile. Some types of magnesium supplements don't have the same laxative effect, so if you still want to get 100% DV you can try another form of magnesium and see if that works for you.

https://drnibber.com/understanding-d...-of-magnesium/

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemrod View Post
    I'd do a no-carb diet in a heart beat, but I already reached my weight-goal by becoming a vegan. And it would be really too hard for me to do a vegan no-carb diet and at the same time cook something different for my wife and kids.
    No-carb vegan means death.

Just to give my opinion, I've been on different diets, going from fat to lean, from lean to chubby, then chubby strong, then fit, then skinny fat..
    Then recalling what I was doing when I was in my best shape, my main meal was roasted bread with olive oil, goat cheese and honey (probably I ate like 10 pieces of these along the day; a lot of rice with some veggies, and a lot of fruits and cereals with goat milk yogurt.
    According to what I've been reading last months, this would be like the anti-fat lose diet. Well, it wasn't for me.
    Have to add, that all of those foods were completely natural (I was working in a farm) and did exercise every day, wake up early in the morning, etc..
    Everyone has a different body, but at the end of the day.. I think what works best is to eat healthy, avoid shity food, do some exercise and sleep well.
    Life it's too short to count calories.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yea I bet, haha

When I started taking magnesium, it took my body a couple of days to adjust to the magnesium, so your body does build a tolerance after awhile. Some types of magnesium supplements don't have the same laxative effect, so if you still want to get 100% DV you can try another form of magnesium and see if that works for you.

https://drnibber.com/understanding-d...-of-magnesium/
    i finally had a normal poop today! took out that magnesium pill and good to go, i'm still meeting my 100% just not going over now.

feels good. lol

Deleted
    I started Keto on Monday. Now, Saturday morning, I have finally stopped having headaches. Didn't get any other 'side-effects' although my pee has been a bit stinky.

Weight has dropped A LOT already, although I assume that is just the water weight. But still, happy with results so far
    Last edited by mmoc3c347a2199; 2015-05-16 at 08:26 AM.